Blizzard admits there’s a lack of end game content in Diablo III

Wednesday, 4th July 2012 18:01 GMT By Dave Oshry

Have you grown bored with Diablo III sooner than you’d planned?  Well, Blizzard is sorry about that.

Bashiok, everyone’s favorite community commando, has taken to the forums to apologize to players (including VG24/7′s own Patrick Garratt) because he says there is quite frankly not enough content to keep them entertained.

Being surprisingly honest with the community, Mr. Bash stated:

“We recognize that the item hunt is just not enough for a long-term sustainable end-game.  There are still tons of people playing every day and week, and playing a lot, but eventually they’re going to run out of stuff to do (if they haven’t already). Killing enemies and finding items is a lot of fun, and we think we have a lot of the systems surrounding that right, or at least on the right path with a few corrections and tweaks.  But honestly Diablo III is not World of Warcraft.  We aren’t going to be able to pump out tons of new systems and content every couple months. There needs to be something else that keeps people engaged, and we know it’s not there right now.”

Very sincere words from Blizzard.  To further drive home the point they’ve released this video:

Bashiok then added:

“Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose, but we believed pre-release that the item hunt would be far more sustainable, and would work to be a proper end-game for quite a while. That didn’t turn out to be true, and we recognize that.”

I think we all know who can fix this.

Thanks Gameranx

1. Talkar

How is this surprisingly honest?
    Blizzard is usually this honest, well i don’t know if they are towards the WoW and D3 community, but their other community they are usually pretty straightforward.

2. Dave Oshry

@1 Yes, they are – but considering all the hullabaloo it’s still an impressive amount of honesty.

3. Takeshi

What were people expecting besides grinding for items? Were the previous Diablo titles any different?

4. Dave Oshry

@3 Beats me. All I know is that I’m already done with Diablo 3 and I played Diablo 2 for what I recall was something akin to forever.

5. Sini

D3 doesnt have a monthly fee, you’ll be getting table scraps at best before we charge you for an expansion next year.

6. Erthazus

@4, Only with the addon.

diablo II without Lords Of Destruction was not great in terms or “Great end content”.

7. Dave Oshry

@6 Fair point.

8. Ireland Michael

What I don’t understand is… how could the company that owns World of Warcraft and has been more than intimately familiar with (for the past *decade*) how quickly gamers can consume content, make this kind of short-sighted mistake?

What the fuck were they *doing* for the past half a decade of development? The game has barely any content as it is, even without including the online components.

@4 As a fan, what do you think it is about Diablo 3 that fails to give it the same degree of longevity as the previous game had?

9. Dave Oshry

@4 I honestly can’t say. I think Pat touched on it pretty well in his editorial. I honestly can’t be fucked to play past Act II on hell. I’m simply bored of it. I still consider it a worthwhile purchase (I went for the $99 collector’s edition) but it only kept it’s hold on me for about a month. I’m not even sure I’ve a right to complain!

10. Erthazus

btw, i still play even with lack of content.

My Wizard alone has 200+ hours.
    Not to mention about my 60 level Demon hunter and Monk.

Barbarian soon.

11. stretch215

@10. You are blessed to have that much free time :) Holy shit!

12. DSB

@8 That’s exactly what I’m wondering.

Somehow they managed to cling to some of the worst design tenets from the old games, while completely mucking up everyone else, beyond the gameplay itself.

It seems to me like Blizzard have just given up on innovating the way they did all the way up to World of Warcraft. Instead they expect everyone to go “Fuck the gameplay, I love these social features”.

13. Erthazus

@DSB,
    “It’s just ass backwards though. They’re obsessed with Facebooking their games through the roof, but they’re completely missing what made them amazing in the first place.”

Oh yeah. So much truth in these words. Someone needs to go to Blizzard HQ, to Mark Morhaime office and kick his ass.

but who knows? Maybe their next MMO is Facebook II with orks and humans XDDD

14. AHA-Lambda

To be fair, this makes me wonder why the hell this game took so fucking long to make? O_o

15. Erthazus

@14, they changed the engine 3 times and they changed the game 3 times.

Game was ready already in 2008, but they decided to polish it to death.

16. Hcw87

What do you expect, that they mmo’ify it and add daily quests? Torchlight 2 will most likely have half the content D3 has, but people will worship it even so. Fanboys will be fanboys, and haters will be haters.

Come up with interesting ideas how they can make the game less boring instead of sulking like little kids.

EDIT: I also have over 100 hours played, how is that possible if it’s ”just a 5 hour boring game”? I don’t get that.

17. roadkill

Meanwhile in the Krater..

18. The_Red

Captain Hindsight to the rescue!
    Really awesome vids from one of Coon trilogy.

19. TheWulf

Bullshit alert! Bullshit alert!

The fact of the matter is is that already Torchlight II is more varied and enjoyable than Diablo III from the beta alone.

See, one of the main problems with Diablo III (other than it being a game of attrition via numbers) is that there’s so much fucking padding. Anyone who had to slog through Act I knows that this is true. But the amount of environments that you see in the same amount of time playing Torchlight II is crazy. Even including a cave with a ghost ship and ghost pirates!

And this isn’t even touching on Torchlight II’s brilliant puzzle dungeons.

And every indication thus far seems to be that each act will be just as varied, and without the frankly insulting amount of padding that Diablo III had. You’d go through DIII and it would all feel so much the same for so long, frequently reused art assets along with big, empty spaces of nothingness did it no favours.

So let’s say that Torchlight II does last half as long as Diablo III, yeah? With the amount of variety in it I’d be completely okay with that.

But here’s another thing.

Diablo III is $60. Torchlight II is $20.

Yeah.

I don’t even need to say any more than that.

20. Ireland Michael

@19 And let’s not forget that it can be modded to boot.

You can make it as easy or difficult as you like. You can add new enemies, new locations, new pets, new quests. You can even make new classes. So it’s potential ongoing value is endless.

Torchlight 2 just *feels* better too. Probably because the game is being made by the *actual* people that developed the original Diablos. People spend so much time clinging to a company name that they seem to completely forget that there are faces behind those names.