CD Projekt Red: RPGs “should actually look better” than shooters

Tuesday, 12th June 2012 10:04 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The Witcher and Cyberpunk developer CD Projekt is ready to challenge the best graphics AAA shooters have to offer.

“We don’t see any reason why RPGs should look worse than shooters. They should actually look better,” company co-founder Marcin Iwinski told VentureBeat.

“The story’s always the thing, because that’s the thing which keeps you playing, but these days — and especially in the next generation when you have the new consoles, when you have the new HDTVs — you’re going to want bells and whistles on the graphical side, and we want to deliver on that as well.”

Iwinski was talking about the upcoming Cyberpunk, but did give a nod to the developer’s fantasy series, The Witcher.

“I think we’ve created some new standards in terms of storytelling in the RPG genre, in terms of having no compromise in the way the story is being told, how we shape the world, how believable the characters are, how similar it is to what we see around us,” he said.

“We are really looking at totally new ideas on telling a story and involving the gamer in it. I think we’re looking at what the critics were saying and what the fans were saying. I think we’ve delivered something totally new.”

CD Projekt Red has promised to detail Cyberpunk later this year.

1. Erthazus

I disagree, although it is great that CD Projekt pushed Witcher II to the limits were not even FPS devs could do with their shooters.

2. viralshag

These guys are going to rock it. You can just tell. I mean the Witcher was good, The Witcher 2 was out-standing and I just get the feeling (and hope) that they will keep their feet on the ground and go from strength to strength.

Easily one of the best devs out there.

3. Erthazus

@2, easily the best RPG creator of this generation.

4. Mace

I like their ambition and agree to some extent, but think Witcher 2 had some drawbacks in world design. As RPG worlds go, it really wasn’t that special. There was often little to do except run around aimlessly and the gameplay and interaction with the world didn’t feel all that great either. One commonly cited example are the doors. It required each time a high amount of precision to use the doors. That feels just awkward and like a simulation, not immersive anymore. And it’s completely gratuitous. But almost every piece of interaction had something like this (in fighting mostly a lack of precision or knowledge of what you were doing at the moment). And many locations didn’t have atmosphere in any sense, I’m afraid. If you walked into a dungeon full of monster, it didn’t feel like a special location and the monsters were just nuisances, and if they were rare and big monsters, bigger nuisances. The Witcher 1 was more amtospheric in some areas. I love the game in design, storytelling and some ideas of how you have to adapt to new situations, but normal gameplay and world design are either mediocre or flawed.

That is not a rant, I still totally respect the game and the variation it brought to modern RPGs.

5. Gadzooks!

#4

I don’t think you have played it based on the garbage you just wrote.

6. Mace

I think you are an idiot and don’t understand what I just wrote. None of the cities or villages felt anything as atmospheric as cities and villages in The Witcher 1, for example, the same for most parts of nature and dungeons. Dungeons weren’t creepy and monsters were nothing special. They didn’t feel like distinct places. The reasons for that are in the world design but also in the gameplay and interaction. Geralt basically floated through the world and didn’t feel connected to it. This has NOTHING to do with character interaction, storytelling, quest ideas (as far as there were ideas and not just mediocre quests) or the LOOK of anything.

7. Takeshi

Interesting opinion, Mace. I don’t see why Gadzooks! makes a fuss over it since it’s an opinion.

CD Projekt RED is probably going to be the main reason I get a rig in 1-2 years.

Witcher 2 is fucking majestic in its graphics and just thinking about how Cyberpunk is going to look with such graphics. Especially considering how much praise Watch Dogs is getting with its graphics. Cyberpunk is probably going to be more fantasy-oriented than Watch Dogs.

8. Old MacDonald

I agree with Mace, to a certain extent. I think The Witcher 2 looked awesome, but it didn’t quite have the same atmosphere and “realism” that the first game offered, which I really loved. It looked a bit more generic, I think. Less “dark ages”, more “dirtier version of lotr”.

9. Gadzooks!

#7

‘Commonly cited door problem’?

‘little to do except run around aimlessly’?

Sounds like an amalgam of other peoples opinions rather than an informed one to me.

10. Mace

The door problem is not that important, it’s just one example how the gameplay feels differently to what one might prefer. It seldom felt like I was exploring or discovering something, like that house at the end of the forest in Act 1. There were only more normal enemies and perhaps a fragment of an unimportant journal, if that much. It didn’t feel like a remote place at all, but simply like a waste of time in walking. There was little to discover in things beside the path or that weren’t simple gossip or tied in with the main quests. You could go almost anywhere, but anywhere was very similar. Collecting things didn’t matter that much and the inventory felt abstract, full of little stuff that had no meaning as objects apart from special properties and wasn’t very important in that regard either. Fighting was imprecise especially when fighting several enemies and didn’t always react that well. You had to hammer the space bar in order to make a simple evasive maneuveur.

These things are not broken, but they can be reasons for a lack of immersion. And they are easily remedied by the quality of storytelling, dialogue and innovative quest ideas. It is mostly limited to roaming and some fight situations.

11. Ireland Michael

@5 Jesus Christ, get off his back.

The guy was polite and respectful in sharing his opinion, and you insult him for it? Really?

Mace, kudos for keeping your cool.

12. Mace

I guess I didn’t explain it well enough, whatever… It depends on what you focus and how you go about it, but I don’t think aspects of world design is such an unusal criticism by now and gameplay almost goes without saying.

13. Ireland Michael

@12 You explained it fine. Gadzooks seems to (uncharacteriscallly) defensive about your personal opinion, for whatever reason.

14. Da Man

Gadzooks, you’ve hit the nail on the head. O’Connor is just a mod wannabe jackarse.

15. YoungZer0

I absolutely agree with him on that. I mean just compare Hard Reset to Deus Ex: Human Revolution. There are so many levels in Hard Reset, so many of them look amazing and are huge, DX:HR on the other hand, has like 3 small cities.

Hard Reset looks better, but the irony about it is that the gameplay style of Hard Reset is fast, which means that most players are going to miss the many details that went into the game. Thinking about it, most fps are fast-paced.

16. ManuOtaku

#3 monolith with xenoblade made a run for its money, i think xenoblade is just as good as witcher 2, for me both deserve the top accolade this generation, leaving one of them is foolish

On the topic at hand problably the best looking games of the past gen (halo, metroid prime), and this generation (killzone 2, halo, gears, uncharted), are certaintly shooters first person and third person, i think they hold the torch in this asppect, maybe this generation FF XIII came close, but in gameplay was not that stellar game, therefore my opinion is keep making great RPGS, dont just go for all graphics, just for the sake of it, i dont want FFXIII from you guys.

17. Old MacDonald

15: Yeah, Hard Reset is a good example. It’s just so gorgeous, but you really have to step back from the action to appreciate it. You have to take breaks, just to enjoy the scenery, and if you don’t do that you’re missing out. But at the same time, that makes the gameplay feel very uneven as you have these “pauses” in between the action.

So yeah, I definitely agree that role playing games and other more thoughtful and slower paced games benefit more from good graphics than most first person shooters.

18. Gadzooks!

Mace,

Thanks for adding detail. Your first post was very vague and I wrongly assumed you were judging on hearsay.

Fair enough if you don’t feel immersed when playing W2, one size doesn’t fit all when it comes to gaming. I can’t say I’ve come across any of the criticisms you have though, specifically doors, collected items and interactions.

Did you play the enhanced edition? The tweaks have been quite far reaching as I understand it.

Oh, and Michael: Butt out, the man is quite capable of holding his own debate.

19. sh4dow

Well I was certainly very impressed with the looks of Witcher 2.
    And even though by now, there are (IMO) two better looking games out there, if you take gameplay into account, it still is the best great-looking game to me.

I think it’s fantastic that they want to keep on delivering such high-quality experiences. However, I would find it even better if they TESTED and BUGFIXED their next game properly before release.

Although I’m not sure I’d trust them in that regard any more, no matter what people say. Just like Elder Scrolls games, which ever since Oblivion only seem to be worth playing after two years of modding. (Obviously, I didn’t appreciate either Vanilla Oblivion or Skyrim very much)
    And it seems to me that CDPR games are only finished once the Enhanced Editions are released. Though at least Witcher 1 & 2 were highly enjoyable without mods to fix various gameplay issues.