Rumour: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning 2 in pre-production, being shopped to publishers

Monday, 28th May 2012 15:13 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Big Huge Games was working on Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning 2, Joystiq‘s rumouring this afternoon.

The 38 Studios-owned developer was in the pre-production stage of the sequel following the release of the first game back in February of this year.

Reckoning 2 was being shopped around by BHG and 38 to other publishers after EA, who published the first Reckoning under EA Partners, declined to take it on due to “executive politics”.

Some of the new inclusions into the game would have included higher quality graphics, no loading screens between areas, expanded combat animations and “greater effort on the world”.

Speaking to Joystiq, a source said Reckoning 1′s development was funded through EA publishing money and not Rhode Island taxpayers money.

“Reckoning was developed with EA publishing money, not Rhode Island tax dollars,” its source said. “It had nothing to do with the 50 million dollars from RI. That money went directly to the MMO project.”

It was reported last week that all of 38′s workforce had been let go and BHG’s workforce had been let go after the former’s financial issues with the state of Rhode Island were made public.

As well as the Reckoning games, 38 was also working on a MMO set in the Amalur universe, Copernicus.

There’s a lot more there through the link.

1. ManuOtaku

Oh, darn it, it could had the potential to be a great game, now maybe we never know. T_T

2. TheWulf

Well, maybe. But they would have had to strip out all of the creative leads (that’s an oxymoron for you) and the management in order for it to be a good game. They’d have to change the setting, and get some decent writers on board, in order to create something that wasn’t so pedestrian.

There’s a reason stuff like Guild Wars is being more of a success than stuff like Amalur. I have this sneaking suspicion that the majority are as completely sick of the twee, po-faced, one-dimensional fantasy purist setting as I am. And instead would prefer to see the genre shake it up a little. I still really want to see someone develop a good steampunk RPG, for example. I have so many ideas in that area, and it’s just filled with potential. But then – all the punks are.

I mean, Amalur may have had decent-ish (slightly better than Fable, anyway) gameplay, but it was repetitious, and it was hard to care about a world in which one race is called the Seelie fucking Fae. And most towns have names like Xolyp’ognar’thym’pologolos.

That shit might have sold years ago to neckbeards, but these days there needs to be much more creativity involved. More imagination. More originality. And you have to have people who’re passionate about creating something that’s going to really stand out and make a mark, you have to have people with vision. And that’s exactly what the Amalur people did not have. Vision.

I’m not saying that there was no talent there, because the rank and file was very talented, I’m sure. I hope the aforementioned rank and file get good jobs. In fact, I’m sure they could have made a better game than their creative leads did, and I’m sure that they likely could have made better managerial decisions than their bosses, too.

So, no. I want to see Big Huge Games and 38 Studios buried, and I want those people to go on and do something that actually has an inkling of creative worth to it.

We’re really so fucking past the “tra la la la la, oh so pretty, let us frolic through the glades” sorts of setting, now. And so past the “oh well everything was pretty but now it’s been corrupted by a DARK AND EVIL force, now you must go and fight the DARK AND EVIL force to restore the pretty to the land.”

I mean, gods damn…

FANTASY GENRE, STOP BEING SO INCREDIBLY FUCKING CREATIVELY BANKRUPT.

It’s time to make fantasy live up to what the word is supposed to be. Big Huge Games and 38 Studios got what they deserved. Hopefully the rank and file will find better jobs, but this stinker deserves to be buried and forgotten.

3. DSB

I’m guessing “executive politics” has something to do with the Steam deal.

4. Demiath

@TheWulf
    While I have no interest in defending Reckoning itself (haven’t played it much myself), I think the hopelessly vague term “originality” – especially applied to things like art design, setting and other distinctly non-interactive stuff – is vastly overrated in today’s gaming industry.

If you’re saying that only hardcore RPG fans care about RPGs which happen to have generic settings then I think what you’re actually saying is that it takes more than great gameplay to attract non-RPG fans to good RPGs. And in that case those non-RPG fans can go have fun somewhere else as far as I’m concerned, since they’re really not looking for the gameplay of a particular genre but something else entirely (that elusive “the new cool thing” kind of orginality), which might in principle be found in any genre regardless of the actual gameplay involved.

5. NeoSquall

@3 I think it’s more like EA knew already that RI government would trick 38 and make them fail, dragging with them any more money that EA would hand to the developers for a sequel.

I think it’s a pity that EA didn’t try to purchase the studios, but I think that Riccitiello and his officers didn’t want to have an ignorant like Schilling anywhere near their offices.