Diablo III Inferno mode twice as difficult as internal testers approved

Monday, 7th May 2012 00:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

When Blizzard tested Diablo III’s Inferno difficulty, it ran detailed testing to ensure it found an appropriate challenge level – and then threw that data straight out the window in favour of turning the dial all the way up.

“Internally, we had this super hardcore test group – we’ve got a lot of hardcore players at Blizzard – that tested Inferno, and we got it to the point where they thought it was challenging enough,” Blizzard’s Jay Wilson told IGN.

“Then we doubled it. Because we knew, no matter how good we are, our players are gonna be better. We focussed on making that as difficult as we could make it.”

Wilson said the hardcore “can absolutely solo” Inferno, as the game scales depending on the number of players there are, but that multiple skilled players co-ordinating abilities will have an easier time of it.

“The ability to combine different classes together is one of the things that makes Inferno really interesting,” he noted.

Diablo III releases on May 15 for Mac and PC. Hit the link above for more tips on how to survive Diablo III’s ultimate difficulty, which is accessible only to level 60 players.

Thanks, Evil Avatar.

1. mad1723

This should be interesting. I can imagine the designers discussing Inferno.

So, we have this epicly hard level, what should we do? Crank it over 9000! :D

2. GwynbleiddiuM

I just hope it doesn’t get nerfed every 2 weeks.

3. TMRNetShark

They better be right about the difficulty. I know there will be someone who will breeze right through it and be done with the campaign in a couple of days.

4. Sini

this is blizzard, shit gets nerfed on daily basis

5. BULArmy

Yeah Inferno is super hardcore, but Normal is rainbows and flowers. The Beta was so friggin’ easy.

6. Erthazus

Shit gets nerfed on daily basis, but only 3% of the WoW community can only pass the Dragon Soul Raid.

7. Zeydlitz

It’s just stupid. Increasing difficulty by turning dial is not clever and just unfriendly method.

8. Sini

this is WoW community, they don’t care about deathwing

9. OlderGamer

This is false. The same bs approach to end game cati is a problem too.

The fact is all of a games players pay the same amount to enjoy the game. Dificulty should be a player option. An adjustable slider. A choice. Likly Diablo III is going to be a short game, and if the game cuts a large section of the people that paid for it off at the second mode, thats crazy. I had that problem with Diablo II, it got to a point where you couldn’t even play some classes solo.

The idea that the devs think this is ok is sad news to me.

10. DSB

@9 It is a fully optional difficulty level out of four, what’s the problem?

I haven’t see any suggestion that Diablo III is going to be a short game either, unless you consider Diablo II a short one. Blizzards community manager and Jay Wilson claim that it will be slightly longer than that.

Personally I think WoW became a far lesser game once they started trying to cater to everyone. The result was incredibly easy entry-level raids, leaving the serious raiders with little more than a tweaked version of bosses they had already killed, or aiming for pretty lame achievements.

It just ruined the sense of accomplishment in raiding to me. It became a chore to have to do the “rehearsal kill” before the real thing. I’m sure that you could find some way of including everyone that didn’t involve taking the fun out of it for the hardcore players, and ruining that whole eco system.

Choice is all well and good, but there was a system there. The top raiders gave everybody else something to aim for, and even if you started out in a less than top notch group, you actually had somewhere to go if you outgrew your buddies in that guild, which then also helped keep the top level guilds going, by providing new blood.

11. OlderGamer

Play wow w/o add ons or macros, the way most players play. You will find it a different experience all together. I have add ons telling me when to move and what to do. And the reason for those add ons? Because the game can be a pain in the ass to begin with. Mostly it has gimmicks, if you don’t know the gimmicks, you die. The party wipes.

Wow is a simple math game. Have the gear score, get the right stats. Have the right stats, use the right rotation. Do all of that and you are going to beat every boss, everytime. So they do gimmicks. Don’t use magic attacks here, stop attacking there, move your butt or you die, drag the boss into the lava to debuff him, jump every three seconds, stand here, don’t stand there. …All gimmicks.

And I understand your a good player DSB, prolly a lot better then me. But I don’t think a game should be geared for the 12% elite players. Nore should it be geared/tuned for players that use add ons/macros. I know your going to strongly disagree. But what you have to understand is that people that spam forums aren’t representive of the bulk of the player base.

Yet those players pay just as much to play as the elite players. They don’t recieve a discount because they can’t down end game raid bosses. So my agruement is that those players are the ones that need to be catered to and brought along. Wows one glaring failure and flaw is that it is too end game focused. Combine that with the fact that there simply isn’t enough new content(new races, new classes, new expansions). And you have to figure out a way to extend the content you do have so it becomes an end game grind for gear.

It makes sense that elite players will get bored once they have experienced all their is. But it also makes sense that the bulk of players also get bored because they CAN’T experience all of the content. They feel locked out. And it is worth noting that if said bulk of the player base did get to experience everything, they to would prolly also get bored.

It is a no win situation for Blizzard. But…a steady flow of new content would help.

Oh and please don’t think this, please I beg you. it is all kinds of wrong. “The top raiders gave everybody else something to aim for,” All that really does is fuel rage. You see in trade chat all of the time. I don’t becomes inspired to get a mount you have, I becomes angry and dejected when I can’t.

The whole thing is made worse, imo, by the dungeon finder. The game has pretty much thrown out the entire overworld and questing in it, in favor of random dungeon runs. Plus, as you level those runs are easy. Very easy in contrast to playing end game. Nothing better then running random and having half your party leave once they figure out it is a certian heroic dungeon.

I could write pages on wow, but I gotta feeling that you and I DSB would be pretty polar in our points of view. thats ok, I can respect that.

And it is too early to pass judgement on Diablo III. I was just saying that I would rather have a slider to make the game easier or tougher. A choice. I don’t want to be cut off after two or even three modes. I want to be able to get the best outfits and weapons. Call me crazy, but I paid for it, I would like to experience the whole thing.

12. canderous

Had to create an account to reply to #11′s TLDNR

First off, the max level difficulty on any game shouldn’t be tailored so that the majority of players can complete it, it should be designed so it is very challenging, even for the best of players, the whole point on difficulty settings is to give the sense that there is always a new challenge to be faced.

I also don’t understand the assumption that making the max difficulty…. Difficult… Somehow robs averge players of content, remember its the same storyline, areas, and quests as the other difficulties… Just harder? Comparing it to endgame raids in WoW makes no sense, its not like people who can’t beat Inferno mode in D3 will be missing out on content…. There are 3 other difficulties for them to work on and leave them alys with another challenge to take on. Unless… The content you are refering to is the loot… Which is even more disagreeable saying that everyone should be able to get the very best items without having to try hard to get the,.

And if you’ve played the beta, you will see Blizzard has gone to great lengths to allow casuals to easily understand the game and what to do.

13. ky8306le

@ #9

No… absolutely not. The entire idea that everyone should be able to access content regardless of their abilities or play schedule is what ruined WoW and brought on the fail fest that is LFR.

It’s true that everyone pays the same subscription fees to play a pay to play game, but it’s the hard core gamers that drive the content. By your logic why have any mechanics in the game at all? Why not just make super scary looking bosses that just vomit up loot at the sight of you?

No hard feelings if you can’t do the hardest difficulty of a game. Enjoy the identical content on the difficulty levels that you can handle, but don’t belly ache and bring the entire experience down to your level when other people can and want more of a challenge.

Back to the WoW juxtaposition there are plenty of players and guilds out there who aren’t server first HM killers but who still have the skills to clear the content.

So in summary… STFU & L2P. You want casual play, go play bejeweled.

14. OlderGamer

Geez you fellas are scary, good thing your wrong.

Canderous:

“it should be designed so it is very challenging, even for the best of players,”

Article:

Me:

“The issue here isn’t that some players could be that good. The issue that most player aren’t. You cannot tune your game for 5% or 12% of the players base. I have zero problem with requiring skill to beat something. I have a huge problem when games cross the line into frustraition.”

The thing with a game like Diablo III is that the game doesn’t end after one play through. It has four play throughs. Four. Your toons can still advance and grow through all four modes. Four, not three. This isn’t Sonic the Hedghog where you replay the same level in order to get better ranks. Or a game where the only point of a replay is the impress your friends by earning achivements.

There is content there. 25% of the game there.

Cad:

“It is a ridiculous statement to say the max difficulty in a game should be easy to beat, it defeats the whole purpose of it existing in the first place.”

Why would you think I said it should be easy? Where did I write that? Same lame knee jerk thought process that Ky8 had. Just because someone says it sounds like it will be too hard doesn’t mean that person is saying anything other then it might be too hard.

I believe a game like this should take skill. I wrote that btw.

My guess is that your not getting the big picture. My guess is that the difficulty is tooned to encourage players to buy better gear when they get to inferno mode from the AH/blizzard store. Some players won’t need it, most likly will, and Blizzard is there to sell them gold and items.

All you say was good players will enjoy a chalange and people that complain aren’t good players. I called it the way I see it, there fore in your mind(and your not alone) I must be an outdated relic that has no game skill.

KY8, your a jerk. Sorry bud for a lack of a better way to put it, your a jerk.

What ruined wow? LFR?

My opinion what ruined started ruining wow was lack of new content. And too much importance on end game. At several points the game threw aside the out of dungeon questing world. Deathknights starting at lvl 55 because the hardcore guys couldn’t stomach building a toon from lvl 1(psst build is the point of the game).

What happens is that the bulk of the players reach end game, quickly, and then just as quickly become bored. I will take the opisite stance of you, I believe that by opening up the end game to more players, it keeps people playing longer. Maybe not the elite players, but they were alays going to leave anyways. If you gear your game for a small % of the user base, while perhaps satisfying for that small %, what do you think happens to the rest of them?

I am sure you would like them to all go play Bejeweled. And in truth your not too far off. They play what they can, get mad with they can’t, then leave. That isn’t what Blizz wants. They want active subs.

I don’t think it is sustainable without a steady stream of new content. New races, new classes, new noob zones, new storylines. Expansions with more then 5 levels.

W/o new content people get bored. Bored players leave. LFR was a way to open up more content to more players. Here is how much an elitest you are, and it is funny really; without LFR, you had to put together a raid on your own, ussualy from your guild. But with LFR, you can still do that. Nothing has changed in that regaurd. I just think your ticked because your not special, hint, you never were, your just playing a game, doesn’t mean anything. But you prolly feel like some of the glory you worked for has been tarnished because anyone with gear can easily que up for raids. Just plain silly.

What does LFR really mean?

It means friends can stay in guilds they enjoy without worrying about trying to join a raiding guild. It means that with falling server popultaions, people can still find raids. It means that people playing in off server hours, can find raids. It means that more players are able to keep playing instead of hitting an impassable brick wall, and that means more money for Blizz.

It also means that I am right. Too much focus on end game gear grinding.

Even Blizz admited that they didn’t bring out new content fast enough.

And also new games hurt wow. Not so much that new games are better, but that they are new. Wow has been out a long time, people get tired of doing the same thing all of the time.

Trust me, LFR isn’t the caitylist that is ruining wow. That is elitest and delusional.

“Back to the WoW juxtaposition there are plenty of players and guilds out there who aren’t server first HM killers but who still have the skills to clear the content”

Yes, I know. I am in a guild like that. In fact I tank, my wife heals, my 19 and 16 year old sons and my brother inlaw dps. That is our heroic group. And half of our guild ten man. Its a family thing. And if family means casual to you, you need to redefine.

“Because of people like you who demand that end game content be handed to them, players are having opportunities for challenges taken away from them.”

Really? handed to them? really? Just open your eyes next time your in wow. There are a mega ton of players that can’t break 5K dps, let alone the 25K+ needed for raiding. I won’t blame you, it is all you know. But look around, talk to people(and not just your “Ubber Raiders” guild). There are a ton of players that will never get past their first heroic. And in fairness, I believe it is hard. Esp after the breeze fest that was levels 1-85. Not all players have been playing for 7 years.

We are bringing my brother inlaw along and it is painfuly slow. The rest of us had forgottten just how hard end game be. He has been playing now for a couple of months. A few hours a day, most days of the week.

“So in summary… STFU & L2P. You want casual play, go play bejeweled”

I love this remark. Shows your charecter and class. And your ignorance.

Something to maybe keep in mind is that for every gamer that visits forums(here or a place like at Blizzard) there are untold masses that play the same game that don’t visit forums. Most gamers can’t be bothered with checking forums all of the time, or even bothered to post if they do. Most people are very content to just play the games. But if you based your pov on forums, and then started thinking that those people posting represented everyone that plays, you would be very misguided. Sometimes that happens to companies too. They think that their game is only played by that pool of players. Doing that can often drive away other gamers.

Like it or not fellas, your just one fish in a bigger then ever sea of other fish. A face in the crowd. It isn’t about hardcore or casual. Instead it is about selling as many copies as possible. And not all gamers are elite players, infact most or not. Let me replace a word for you. Instead of casual, try average.

15. viralshag

@14, I really don’t understand what point you’re trying to make? Blizz have made a game that’s renowned for being difficult, actually difficult, and in doing so have done something wrong?

Your characters do not grow and advance through all four levels of difficulty… I’ve only just started hell and I’m 8 levels from max. I imagine I will gain max level during my hell playthrough and from there the only thing “advancing” is my gear and stats.

And what is the 25% of the game you’re talking about? If I can’t get past Diablo on Hell I won’t feel like I have been cheated out of anything (money especially), I will just feel like I’m not good enough and either a) keep trying until I get better, b) go to the AH and buy what I can to boost my stats to help me proceed or c) get some friends that can handle hell and inferno to help me out. Or, crazy thought, get over it as a game I’m not good enough to finish.