Bulletstorm sequel plans shelved, People Can Fly on new project

Tuesday, 10th April 2012 02:11 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Epic boss Mike Capps has confirmed that Bulletstorm is on hold after a disappointing sales performance.

Capps told Gamespot that Epic “thought a lot” about a sequel to the 2011 shooter.

“I’d love to go back. I think there’s more to do with Bulletstorm,” he said.

“Heck, it kind of ended wanting more. I’d love to see another project.”

The executive admitted some initial development work had been completed, but said sales didn’t match expectations.

“From a sales perspective it was good, but not amazing. I think EA was hoping we’d do better,” he said, adding that he felt the game did very well critically.

The PC version in particular did quite badly, with Capps shifting some of the blame off the highly criticised port.

“It didn’t do very well on PC and I think a lot of that was due to piracy. It wasn’t the best PC port ever, sure, but also piracy was a pretty big problem,” he claimed.

So much for Bulletstorm 2, then, but developer People Can Fly isn’t twiddling its thumbs.

“We found a project that we thought was a better fit for People Can Fly. We haven’t announced that yet, but we will be announcing it pretty soon,” Capps revealed.

1. Stardog

It was nothing to do with piracy. Your game sucked, so do you, and so does your company.

2. Erthazus

I enjoyed Bulletstorm but that’s it.

3. unacomn

Yes, piracy. That’s why when music piracy rates dropped in France, so did sales.

4. Gigabomber

@#1, Harsh, but true.

5. TheWulf

Yep, I enjoyed Bulletstorm too.

The reason Bulletstorm didn’t do so well was because of how poorly it was marketed – that was handled ALMOST as badly as Mass Effect 2′s horrific fuck up of a marketing campaign, a campaign so bad that it had me convinced that the game was going to be awful and worth skipping entirely. (Though it turned out that ME2 was far better than ME1.)

One thing I’ve heard around the Internet a lot lately is that with the fact that EA won the golden poo award and all, and how badly some of their games are doing, games which SHOULD be doing better… they just need to fire their entire marketing department and everyone related to them and start over.

The biggest failures of EA in recent months have been PR and marketing.

Bulletstorm was a casualty of that mismanagement.

The poor bastard probably doesn’t have the balls to come out and say that, though, because if he did then it would likely mean the end of his job. So of course he’s got to say it’s piracy, despite Gabe Newell (Steam, anyone?) being amongst the richest men on the planet.

Yup. The PC is suffering piracy so badly if it’s made the purveyor of the primary digital distribution platform a quite comfortable billionaire.

6. Erthazus

Actually Bulletstorm marketing was brilliant. What they showed with gameplay trailers was fucking amazing.

the only thing why this game flopped is because of the gameplay mechanics. Bulletstorm was novel for about three hours at best, but after that the concept pretty much wore thin. Bulletstorm played like Call of duty if you don’t give a crap about skillpoint system and that is a huge problem with a game.

But i still enjoyed it and forgot about it maybe because i bought it for 25$

60$ was not worth at all for it at launch.

7. The_Deleted

Bulletstorm is one of my favorite games this gen. Sad that a sequel’s been canned but not unexpected given people can only handle dull assed pseudo simulations that offer the bare minimum of play while you follow someones arse.

Yeah, I said it.

8. The_Red

Lame. Bulletstorm was awesome. A great run ‘n gun game. People just want sameish military shooters like COD and BF3 with no soul or fun.

9. absolutezero

I kinda liked Bulletstorm but the entire “Kill with Skill” was a bare-faced lie. I got through most of the game playing it like any other FPS only being not allowed to jump.

If only there were more areas which forced you to adopt a certain play-style and if only Steve Blum fucked off.

10. Telepathic.Geometry

I loved Bulletstorm. Saying that you didn’t need to use skill-kills is like a complaint I heard about not needing to use plasmids in Bioshock, and that it’s possible to play it as a straight FPS. Jesus, why would you want to?

11. LOLshock94

imo bulletstorm sucked, all you do is dive kick shoot kick shoot dive kick shoot and so on and so on

12. absolutezero

Thats more what I meant, there was no skill in the killing. It just rewarded you for playing it like a normal FPS game. If anything it was too pedestrian for its style and marketing. I was expecting truely bonkers weapons and kills, which just were’nt present it was all about shooting dudes in the balls or kicking them into walls.

Like a far future version of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

13. The_Deleted

And I suppose Minecraft is shite because there’s nothing to do and LBP is shite because you’re expected to do too much. Bulletstorm is one of those games where you get out of it what you put into it. And for LOLshock to complain that all you do is X,Y,Z, well, you could make that complaint about 99% of games.

14. ManuOtaku

I am with the guys that did like bulletstorm, i love it too, for me was a fresh air in the FPS genre, a really good idea IMHO, sad to see that we are not getting a sequel, it is a shame, now the next thing is that asuras warth/shadow of the damned/catherine etc., wont get a sequel neither, and then most of gamers will complain about the lack of new fresh experiences in videogames, because when they do show up they dont support them, and then they do wonder why we get anual sequels instead of new ips? o_O

15. Strawb

#12: You were rewarded for kills, sure, but not in the same way as if you actually made an effort to make the kills interesting and creative.

That’s certainly how I played it. I racked my brains with every kill to try and figure out how I could get as many points as possible.

The way I see it, Epic should have stayed out of development, and handed the reins completely to People Can Fly. Maybe we would’ve seen another game close to the original Painkiller.