Notch: Psychonauts 2 won’t happen for “a while”

Tuesday, 13th March 2012 18:50 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Markus “Notch” Persson has said it will be a while before Tim Schafer will have the time to begin work on Psychonauts 2.

Speaking with Gamespy, Notch said he and Schafer met at GDC where the Double Fine man told him the studio had “a lot to do for a while.”

Notch also added that if Double Fine wants to do the game and the “numbers are reasonable,” he would love to do it providing there’s a “return on the investment and stuff.”

“I think Psychnoauts 1 did surprisingly poorly in sales, which is bizarre,” he said. “Sure, it’s kinda niche, but it has huge personality and only one bad level: the meat circus. So I think there’s definitely room for a Psychonauts 2 to sell well. Especially now, because you could treat as not necessarily a triple-A project.

“I mean, you can’t make it too small scale, because it needs to top the first one.”

It has been estimated that a full blown, proper sequel could cost around the $13 million mark.

[image]

1. YoungZer0

Personally, the reason why i still haven’t touched Psychonauts are the graphics. Not even talking about the art-direction, but the way the model and level look. I don’t even know how to say this, really, but the style just doesn’t motivate me to play it.

… and i’m not really a fan of jump & run.

If he ever does Psychonauts 2, he should consider a cellshading style.

2. ManuOtaku

Well cellshading will most certainly do wonders for this franchise, although i did like psychonauts style nontheless, especially the bullfighting level, man those colors.

3. YoungZer0

@2: It wasn’t the colors as much as the shading.

4. DSB

Your point is invalid, YoungZer0 :P

Really, running and jumping are the cornerstones of most platformers. That’s how the genre got its name in the first place.

Personally I still love Psychonauts. The level design itself is outdated, but I absolutely love the style, and the level of imagination you’re exposed to within 30 minutes of playing the game is pretty much second to none.

It’s like a Pixar movie. Definitely Schafer when he’s at his best.

5. YoungZer0

@4: I don’t like Pixar movies. So that must be it.

6. DSB

I’ll pray for your soul :(