Getting off on the wrong foot: Reckoning’s dire opening

Monday, 20th February 2012 08:13 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is actually pretty good – provided you have time to soldier through it’s snooze-worthy beginning and get to the meat of the game.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Available now on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

The debut title from 38 Studios, assisted by Big Huge Games.

The precursor to an MMORPG which shares the same world, but possibly during a different historical period, currently codenamed Copernicus.

Features a richly-detailed storyline from fantasy author RA Salvatore which features hundreds of invented worlds and can be safely ignored once you’ve established who is “us” and who is “them”.

According to my save file, I have apparently spent just over 17 hours playing Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, but I estimate it’s actually closer to 20 as I’m yet to check where the quick save key is and have lost several long sessions as a result of my own stupidity.

Of these 20 hours, I estimate I have enjoyed 18 of them; the remaining two hours are those which took place right after installation. Reckoning really does itself a disservice by beginning in the worst possible way: for the first few hours, all you can think about are the games you’re not playing.

The opening is a clever way to explain the unique core mechanic – freeform levelling – but it’s also strongly reminiscent of Planescape: Torment, widely considered one of the best RPGs of an era stuffed to the bulging, straining gills with excellent RPGs. At lower levels the excellent combat, with its reliance on timing and positioning, is pretty standard third-person action fare – perhaps a little more fluid than God of War, less combo-centric than Bayonetta. The lockpicking is like that in Skyrim. The menus could come straight out of any classic RPG, which is a polite way of saying they’re quite unoriginal, fiddly, and boring. The cartoony look of the graphics is very like Fable.

It’s this last comparison which really eats away at Reckoning’s chances of turning heads. The visuals really do smack of Lionhead’s series, and not just in a general sense. The gamepad UI for switching into aggressive mode – which is almost never used otherwise – looks so much like Fable III’s that Peter Molyneux should call a lawyer. The first time my character went swimming I actually whistled in horror, the animation is so similar. Seconds later, I was prompted to dive for a hidden treasure – another Fable nod.

All this would probably go over many people’s heads if the plot didn’t kick off in a colourful forest region and generic fantasy town which looks so strikingly like one of Fable II’s environments that it makes me wince.

Reckoning actually has a wide variety of locations, many of which are both beautiful and unusual. The starting forest is not one of these. It only takes a little bit of playing to clear this section, especially if you ignore the questlines and take advantage of the open world, and some of the surrounding, beginner-friendly locations are great, like a dark, spider-infested wood bordering on a nasty, maze-like marsh populated by enormous ettins.

Both of these examples are a joy to explore, and they can’t hold a candle to the areas you unlock outside the Faelands, which give twisty corridors the boot in favour of wide-open plains dotted with interesting features. Either would have made an excellent place to kick off the game. Instead, Reckoning drops you in the most boring, claustrophobic and homogenous environment in the game, an experience likely to make you want to cut out the middleman and put Fable in the disc tray – at least you get a dog.

Happily, pressing on is its own reward, because you not only move on to more interesting locales, but the combat really begins to shine.

Reckoning’s launch trailer.

Most RPGs can be reduced down to a series of walks between fights – something Final Fantasy XIII made no bones about, but which is at the heart of almost every example of the genre. If you don’t enjoy the fights, then the experience becomes just a matter of feeding your levelling and gear acquisition addictions. While Reckoning certainly piles on the loot, all of it is secondary to getting into battle and the joyful experience of kicking butt.

At the very beginning of the game, you’re given a very small number of abilities, which gives you a chance to learn the basics of blocking and dodging, melee and ranged, and decide which options work best for you. This is important, as the number of choices form here on in are staggering, but again, it’s not representative of the mid or end-game – or even a few hours down the track – to the game’s detriment. 38 Studios wants you to learn through playing what weapons and skills suit you, rather than pick from pre-determined classes, but the end result is that every weapon and skill initially feels largely the same. At this point it’s ridiculously easy to waste your skill points on completely unsuitable lines of progression, and the existence of Fateweavers, which allow complete respecs (for a fee which rapidly becomes unaffordable once your past a point at which you really should know better) suggests the developer was aware of this problem.

Later on, weapon types differentiate rapidly once you invest in their skill trees; and a new kind of attack can completely change the way you play. Once you’ve settled on which basic mix of melee, ranged, stealth and magic you want to pursue, it should inform your progression from thereon in. Correctly puzzling out which new abilities you should choose to match your playstyle feels great when you get it right (do read the descriptions, plan ahead, and watch the previews in the Moves menu). Selecting skills and combining them to make the most of your mana pool has a bit of a number-crunching MMORPG feel to it, with all the attendant tactical satisfaction.

My preferred style is all rogue – I like to dodge rather than block, avoid damage rather than soak it up, inflict status effects and pile on critical hits – so my first Reckoning build doesn’t take advantage of the free-form progression, sticking purely to the Finesse tree. Nevertheless, I’ve had plenty to choose from. Towards the end of Dragon Age II – another obvious name in 38 Studio’s roll call of inspirations – I was just picking skills at random and ignoring almost all of them, but 20 hours into Reckoning I’m still agonising over every decision. Should I get some new, more powerful skills, or stick to my smaller set of moves and concentrate on powering them up? Should I choose passive skills to increase my stealth attack, or focus on crowd control skills?

There’s certainly an MMORPG feel to it, and the terminology comes naturally to those even passingly familiar with World of Warcraft and the like, but the actual action of Reckoning is much more satisfying.

As already acknowledged, there’s certainly an MMORPG feel to it, and the terminology comes naturally to those even passingly familiar with World of Warcraft and the like, but the actual action of Reckoning is much more satisfying, which will serve multiplayer follow-up Copernicus well. Juggling real-time attacks from up to a dozen opponents of varying abilities and nailing a tough enemy with a carefully planned attack is sheer delight. Finding a new bit of loot which enhances your strategies or realising your next level up could unlock a new ability to take advantage of an epic drop is like Christmas morning, but it takes a back seat to the main business of working out how to have fun and kick the shit out of things.

38 Studios has been clear about its motivations in producing Kingdoms of Amalur: Founder and boss Curt Schilling is a massive RPG fan. He wanted to take all the best elements of his favourite titles and make a perfect game he himself would like to play. This is an admirable goal, and although some of the most derivative elements are a little troubling, every game borrows from its fellows and it’s hard to argue with the enactment of a development fantasy most of us have had at one time or another. The result is a compelling experience with masses of content, and it’s a crying shame that so many players will be put off by its lacklustre opening, which badly lets down its setting and combat system.

1. GwynbleiddiuM

“The opening is a clever way to explain the unique core mechanic”

No it’s not, for me it kinda is a generic opening with unnecessary sense of rush that kinda feels if you don’t do this right away you’re going to do something that’ll fundamentally breaks the whole game.

The story is unimpressive and dull. I especially hate the game when I have to interact with Fae folk they keep talking about songs and try to present themselves as some being with poetic sense of mysticism about them while they’re not, and I hate that accent of theirs.

The story at the moment is boring me to death and even though there are a lot of side quests they feel like random questing to get more gold and sometimes rare and ep0x items. So I just abandoned questing long ago after I did the Ballad faction quests and I happily ruined that stupid lil culture of theirs.

Yet I give credits where credits are duo, lot’s of loots and many great loots as well, I love looting and unlike skyrim where everything felt the same here you can feel the upgrade of equipments. Haven’t done any crafting cuz didn’t feel if I need it, perhaps drop rates are too much for everything, combat get’s better as you level it’s a fluid thing, yet I really haven’t faced any challenges beyond the Maid of Winter was it?

Environment and the design is very good and colorful, I like it.

Maybe I got too strong, and need to raise the difficulty. Played a great deal of the game as a rogue, ranger with investing only in that spec, and now I practically one-shot everything with my great sword, it’s fun though, one-shoting local nuisance is fun, bigger dudes tho take longer to kill but they’re meh.

One thing that annoys me more than the stroy is the fact that I can’t jump! YES! even in MMOs you’re allowed to jump over obstacles I can’t find any logic in that. It’s really restrictive, irritating even. The fact that I have to run 100 miles to find a way across an edgy platform makes me wanna cut myself with a very sharp object.

The fact that there’s no storage mechanics in the game that let you store your special stuff like set items is bothering me I have to sell my old set in order to open up some storage. UGH…

2. Th3 Dark Knight

@GwynbleiddiuM

I totally agree with you at certain points.
    I Can’t judge the story yet bec. i almost didn’t advance at it
    i spend all of the time questing bec. everywhere i go in the huge world
    i find newer side quests and i only explored 1/4 of the map
    and that’s a great thing that the developers should be praised for
    bec. the game is huge with plenty of side quests.

I completed the Fae Ballad faction quests too and felt disappointed at
    the end of the set of quests bec. i also ruined their culture
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    _SPOILER ALERT_

although i was level 4 0r 5 at dispelling and yet i failed in the quest.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

The Jump part is really annoying for me too.

Concerning the storage mechanics the game acually has a storage mechanic , you will find it after
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    _SPOILER ALERT_

Helping the town of Canneroc with their problem , you will be granted
    a residence which could be upgraded by visiting the town’s blacksmith ;)

3. GwynbleiddiuM

@2 Ah, thanks for the tip about storage, will check it out cuz it’s truly a pain in the arse atm.

4. Th3 Dark Knight

@3 You’re welcome ;)
    Tell me about it :)
    I used to salvage the Weapons and Armour that i no longer need but now i store them till i find stronger items then i salvage them :D

5. viralshag

The game’s all right. I have put a lot of hours into it and I honestly can’t explain why that is. The combat is fun and it’s nice to move from quest to quest just so I have a reason to go out and kill stuff. But the actual story, the world and the voice acting is pretty dire.

Like #1, I can’t stand any interaction with the Fae… or any character that’s not a bog-standard male human. I find myself skipping through almost all conversation and I often miss important decision but at this stage I don’t really care.

I really do just like the combat, levelling and destinies. If the MMO is going to be a lot or just like this world it’s not going to have me signing up. And if the combat is selling point then I will just stick to the SP game.

@1, The crafted item are actually pretty decent, if you can get hold of decent materials then a crafted weapon or armour will last you a very long time. It’s a real shame that I can’t create actual sets or at least upgrade and hold on to the good ones I come across.

I think a good idea, like alchemy, would be to find blueprints for blacksmithing that tell you what items to use to create set-piece armour.

6. Telepathic.Geometry

Nice article Brenna. I don’t really agree with the cost of respeccing (I changed my destiny over a dozen times, and it was always for far less than I had in pocket. Also, it seemed to max out at about 93,000 gold in the end. Bear in mind, I have had about a million on me at almost all times for ages.

Anyway, I did much the same as you, I went pure mage for ages, but for the sake of trophies, I tried a bit of back-stabbing, and never looked back. :) I especially love parrying (one of the reasons I love Castlevania so much). All around it’s a great game, but although I see where you’re coming from, I think the slow start was kinda necessary.

7. OlderGamer

No game is truely ever perfect. But I didn’t have any problem with the early portion of the game. And also “generic”? What do you people expect the world to look like? It is a fantasy roleplaying game. I wouldn’t play the game if it modern urban settings or a space marine look/feel to it.

I just don’t understand some people sometimes. All of the critisms that leveled at KoA, could be said of most western RPGs. Look at Skyrim, I don’t see people complaining about the cliche and generic things in that game.

KoA actual does one thing that most games of its ilk don’t:it makes the actual gameplay fun. It tosses in a lot of freedom to customize. It gives you a huge world. Fills it qsts everywhere. Adds in a nice fast travel system. The VO is actualy pretty good, imo. And the story? Thats good too.

I just don’t understand what folks expect out of a game like this. And even then in most cases, the person leveling these charges admits to still playing the game, even enjoying it. I think that unviels the truth behind the issue. Some people are burnt out on gaming.

Its like this, your a racing game fan. But in todays world, every racing game out there can exquisitly render car models to resemble and even handle like their real life conter parts if they should want to. So you pick up your thrid racer this year, and each of them has an exotic sports car in it, the same car. It handles, looks and feels the exact same in each game. Is it still an eye opening burst of enjoyment to unlock the car game after game?

Nope its lost some of the shine.

If your a rpg gamer, and having played the ME games, Fable games, Elderscrolls games, WoW, Rift, Witcher games, Fallout, EQ, Lord of the Rings, and so on …along comes KoA. Still eye poping, captivating, and fresh? No. Not really. But it is still fun.

The entire industry is suffering from the same worn out fatigue, you can see it everywhere you look. And you can read it in peoples posts online.

Trust me when I say there is ZERO wrong with KoA. But if your a gamer drawn to this kind of game, you have seen everything, played everything, and prolly gotten tired of everything at this point.

One of the reasons that the industry needs new hardware. Its time to move on gernation wise. I doubt it will fix everything, but it would be nice for things to look and feel new, at least for a little while.

One last thing, I know its true, I see it and feel it, but when you get older, you becomes more jaded. Towards almost everything media oriented. Movies, music, tv, and games. The biggest reason is just like KoA, you have seen it all before. Hard to keep getting excited and pumped up for the same stuff.

8. Telepathic.Geometry

OlderGamer: I like the cut of your jib sir. I agree with pretty much everything you said there, except I lack the eloquence and incisiveness (and the patience) to say it. +1

9. OrbitMonkey

I’m very likely gonna pick this up… I know fully what to expect, but what’s really keeping me interested is the fact that so far theirs been no reports of game crashing bugs.

That really busts my balls. Especially if your investing a whole chunk of your life.

10. DSB

I don’t think I’ll be picking this up until the Steam summer sale, and only if they bomb it back to 10-something.

I’m looking for something that’ll make it worth the money instead of doing something like replaying Fable, but I just don’t see it anywhere.

11. OrbitMonkey

^ Diablo 3?

12. GwynbleiddiuM

@OlderGamer, Yes, I still play it! And when you pay for a game like 60 dollars you’ll play it until there’s no longer anything to play. :D
    It’s not bad, but it ain’t a gem either. It’s just a fix for my need to play RPG. And in ‘RPG’ part actually Reckoning is better than anything that BioWare ever did after Dragon Age: Origin, It’s better than anything came out these past 2 years with the exception of The Witcher 2.

Also you chose a completely irrelevant example to make your case. I don’t see it like that at all. Blurring or copy-catting or resembling top sellers is not my issue with Reckoning at all.

For a change, they came up with good action gameplay. It’s not balanced – pretty much like Skyrim – at all, but it’s fun as they promoted it like God of War, DMC or even Batman. I’m pretty sure I gave some creditsin that regard and the fact that there are plenty loots you get in the game. It feels like you’re being rewarded, unlike the games like Dragon Age II, Mass Effect 2, Witcher 2, Skyrim and so on. It has a Borderlan feeling to it without the co-op. And the fact that there’s no jumping ability and invisible walls or edges you can’t get past them without a retarded detour is indeed retarded in a game that claims to be an open world title.

And just because western RPGs aren’t good enough these days it somehow is an excuse to look the other way when we’re talking about a new game like Reckoning? They had R.A. fucking Salvator on their team, and how did they used his talents? the guy is practically mister fantasy, I refuse to believe that’s the best thing he could come up with!

VO is good, Who said it was bad? Ok, maybe someone did, it wasn’t me. I merely pointed out that Fae people’s accent was horrible, I dunno it sounded like they’re going to sound a bit Irish-like but at the same time they didn’t wanted it to sound too much Irish. I have nothing against Irish accent, don’t make an issue out of this, my favorite WWE Superstar is Irish and I love his accent and in ring personality, etc etc. It just seem totally out of place, they tried to put a High King in there to make it sound more relevant but it didn’t help.

The story so far, I dunno how deep I’m in but I’m at “Breaking the Siege” and “An old Friend” and hasn’t got any better. I’m pretty sure many critics also pointed out that the story is poorly developed.

No onto your closing comment, I don’t easily get bored, take it from a guy who is playing WoW for about 4 years now. And the fact that most Triple-A titles fail these days (not talking about reckoning here) is not because the industry needs new hardware, hardware is good, lackluster of imagination, risk-taking and creativity is the problem at hand. New hardware might slightly help, the industry however wont produce better games as long as they’re overshadowed by Evil publishing firms. I so hate publishers atm. We’re at the age that people would rather go for tested recipes for success than come up with their own unique ideas.

13. fearmonkey

I have read the article and all the comments, this game keeps looking better and better to me. I haven’t picked it up yet, only due to the fact I still have some many other games to finish – Crysis2, Skyrim, Shadows of the Damned, etc, but I will definitely be picking this one up eventually.
    It’s funny, usually this time of year I’m usually starved for a decent new game, and there are so many great games being released early this year.
    I want to play Syndicate, Darkness 2, KOA, and soon Mass effect 3 will be out, and after that Witcher 2, Diablo 3, Dragon’s Dogma, etc. I have more games than time right now and that is very unusual for Feb.

14. TheWulf

That’s a lot of the problem, though – so much padding and so little story. I watched TotalBiscuit playing it in his WTF is just to see whether I was somehow ‘playing it wrong’ in my effort and I was almost put to sleep.

Any game that does padding like that just to extend its play time is not worth my time. See, Dragon Age: Origins did this and I did not forgive. I called DA:O a direly dull game because of how much padding it had. It had a 92% padding to 8% content ratio. And Amalur seems to do much the same thing in order to extend its playtime, maybe that’s why it’s so bad.

I mean, I’d take 8 hours of a good game over 60 hours of a bad one any day. And those dwarf tunnels in Dragon Age: Origins fffffff… that’s where I gave up. I am not having a game devour my life with content that makes me want to cut myself.

If I wasn’t going to do that for Dragon Age: Origins, I certainly wouldn’t do it for Amalur. I don’t see why games should be allowed to get away with this. We should judge games on the first few hours, because often those first few hours are portentous of the manner of padding that one might see later on in the game.

Portal 1 was three hours long and has been heralded as not only one of the best games in the industry, but as one of the best instances of storytelling and narrative, too.

All of this padding kills games.

I know that not everyone is Obsidian, I know that not everyone can make a game that’s 40 hours long (or longer) and keep it interesting for that entire time. (As they did with New Vegas.) I get that. But if I was given the choice, as a manager, to find a game which was brilliantly written and gripping but only eight hours long, or something that was a 60 hour ‘epic’ but had me falling asleep in my chair for most of it, I’d choose the former.

This is what some RPGs suffer with, and Amalur is one of them. If Amalur were a drink, it would be PG Tips tea with milk. That’s fine. I expect that out of action games. But I expect an RPG to be more adventurous than that, I expect an RPG to be something brilliantly inventive, something that’s able to jar me emotionally and challenge me intellectually with nefariously conceived choices (again, New Vegas).

The problem with Amalur is that it is bloody boring. It may have a good combat system but it’s bloody boring! The world is so monotonous enough to have me believe that it was thrown together by a marketing executive on a napkin, the combat is fine but it gets repetitive over the length of the game (it stays fresh for most of the way through a God of War game, but it wears out quickly in something like Amalur). And it’s just a very static, very generic world.

I destroy a few crates and the robotic shopkeeper just stands there, I lay waste to his shop an s/he just doesn’t give a damn. That’s not what I want. If I lay waste to a shop that I want to be arrested! Or I want them to try, at least. In New Vegas, if you tried pulling this shit you’d have people yelling at you and following you around to make sure you don’t wreak more chaos.

In New Vegas you were actually forced to figure out glitches and bugs to pull off entertaining heists (like dragging ammo into buckets). You couldn’t just smash shit and take stuff.

It just… it all feels so completely artificial. It’s mind rot.

So, not only do you have this incredibly dull, fantasy world that looks like it was just a marketing executives re-imagining of the works of Tolkien, but you have combat which wears thin quickly, you have static NPCs which don’t react to anything, and you have stories that put you to sleep.

RPGs can be so much more than this.

I think it’s worth replaying New Vegas after something like this, just to be refreshed on what makes an RPG incredible. New Vegas was actually memorable. There were moments of that game that I will never forget. Like my time wandering with Raul, Gannon, and Lily. I remember helping Raul regain his confidence after a century of the world wearing him down, I remember helping Ganon with his ethical quandaries and becoming entirely too much attracted to him, I remember Lily pulling me aside and talking to me about her medicine and giving me one of the toughest choices in the game.

No companions in Amalur like this. All the NPCs are static, like wooden dolls. What it is most of all?

There’s no LIFE in Amalur.

I find it ironic that there’s so much more life in the wastelands of New Vegas than there is in the idyllic countrysides of Amalur. So much more life, so much. And people, people who’re passionate about things, people who give a damn, these people represented by writers who were giving this plot their all.

I want to be inspired by an RPG. And I found New Vegas inspiring from the outset. This made me extremely happy. The intro of New Vegas will always be memorable as well because of the good people of Goodsprings. You can be so evil to them but I couldn’t bring myself to do it… I just could not. I cared about them all too much. They were great people.

If a game can make you care about a bunch of characters within the first few hours of play, then as an RPG, it’s won. It’s succeeded. It’s achieved the highest accolade that an RPG could possibly hope to aim for.

Because of this, I can’t give Amalur a free pass.

My attitude toward them was originally “Try harder!” and that was fine. But then their developers started talking about how games suck compared to Amalur and how everyone else was clearly doing it wrong. Thus my attitude towards Big Huge Games has become “Well… screw you guys.”

I have no interest in Amalur and I doubt I’ll be interested in any of their future games, as their games will forever be narcoleptic experiences of sleepy torture, designed to rot my mind and lower my expectations of what an RPG can be.

I think Obsidian have spoiled me with their greatness.

But it’s no excuse for other developers to not even try. Fair play to Bioware, they made something of an effort with Mass Effect 2, but even they could try harder. But at least I get the feeling of effort from Bioware, even if they are being stingy when it comes to not hiring writers. But with Big Huge Games…

“Yeah, we know our game is a motonous snoozefest of a single-player Korean grinder… but, that’s because EVERYONE ELSE IS DOING IT WRONG! Our game is how the RPG is supposed to be!”

Please no.

15. TheWulf

But really… think of New Vegas and how quickly Obsidian managed to endear the people of Goodsprings to you, and the options they gave you (even to screw them over if you so desired). Think on that.

Compared to that… Amalur is wanting. It is wanting on every level. I don’t understand why I must give Amalur a free pass, I don’t think that I should.

If Obsidian can manage a brilliant opener, everyone can.

Why do we excuse lazy, uncaring development, and games that are just padded with grindy content to extend their length?

Goodsprings.

That is all.

16. GwynbleiddiuM

You know what TheWulf? Amongst all of your comments I read from you this one is my favorite. Although I have couple of issues to point out, like in my opinion DA: Origins was the last great game of BioWare even though it has many flaws in terms of content design and gameplay, but I loved the story and questing there. Side quests are a necessity for an RPG game to help the progression of ones character and I can accept that there will be a lot of dull moment doing them, but when that boredom hits me in the main plot that just turns me off. It just keeps me from doing more in the game.

Also, I’m very confident Obsidian had little to do with plot and how game supposed to start in NV, it was still a Bethesda game they just pulled everything together. That’s why Dungeon Siege 3 was a total mess IMO, that’s why they fucked up with their Alpha Protocol, which to this date I haven’t seen anything worse than that.

I still lean back to old titles like Divine Divinity and NWN if I feel I need to play a good RPG. I didn’t really give NV a chance mostly because I didn’t like how buggy it was, maybe I revisit it and have ago at it again.

Funny thing is Batman Arkham City in many ways have stuff in common with many today’s so-called RPG games yet never claims that I’m an RPG, just a semi-open action adventure with a lot more fun than any of those games.

17. fearmonkey

@thewulf – “I know that not everyone is Obsidian”

Thank God for that…… While I enjoy Fallout:New Vegas the bugs in the game were FAR worse than any Bethesda game I have ever played(I don’t have a PS3). I preferred Fallout 3 over Fallout:New Vegas as well.
    All their games are extremely buggy. What got me about Fallout:New Vegas is that I didn’t even start playing the game till 4 to 6 months after launch, and the game was still so buggy that I couldn’t even complete the main mission. I had to wait for a patch that never came, so I ended up reloading from a past save, and trying a different choice in the main quest, one that I didn’t want to make, just to finish the game.
    Alpha Protocol was buggy as well. KOTOR2 was not as good as the original game, I didn’t play neverwinter 2, but Dungeon Siege 3 was meh, didn’t compare to the old Gas Powered games in my opinion.
    All this love for Obsidian I don’t get, I understand they are the former remnants of Black isle, but they haven’t lived up to them in the games so far.
    Seriously, you trash reckoning consistently, yet praise Obsidian??
    At least I haven’t heard reckoning is full of game killing bugs, which Obsidian is known for.

18. Telepathic.Geometry

Jesus, everyone’s going wall-o-text on this. :)

Just one point about the “embarrassing Irish accents”, as EG put it on their podcast, and a few others have said on here: I think it’s just Irish people doing regular voice acting. I guess people just aren’t used to hearing it so they can’t accept it or something. But there’s a lot of Irish influence in the game world, so I think it fits in.

19. OlderGamer

Wulf sure can belt out the text can’t he?

Good deal, I never mind reading so long as there is something interesting to read. I don’t always agree with your posts Wulf, but rest assured I do read them, even enjoy them from time to time.

Btw, my wife, yes my wife, is just turning 40hours in KOA as I type this. I am going to go play some WoW, as I can’t even get near the PS3 today. She goes back to work tomorrow…