Skyrim Creation Kit and Skyrim Workshop previewed in video

Wednesday, 1st February 2012 16:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Bethesda has released a developer diary highlighting some of the features in the Skyrim’s Creation Kit, which will be made available soon on Steam.

In the video below, production director Ashley Cheng provides a look at features which will be made available to the modding community through the Skyrim Workshop on Steam.

According to Cheng, the firm is looking for more ways to get mods in people’s hands, and “hopefully one day” extending the availability to console users.

The tool will allow users to easily upload, download, share and install mods upon release.

Still no date.

1. Edo

….and that’s why PC gaming is awesome(not bashing consoles just strongly support PC gaming).

2. Patrick Garratt

That looks amazing.

3. jnms

It’s well known that mods can break Bethesda games, and that mods conflict with each other. Often it isn’t easy to uninstall mods if they over-write original game files (you can’t get the old files back).

I hope Steam allows you to easily remove mods.

Other than that, really looking forward to this!!

4. KAP

“Ooooo that looks amazing”

Hey, what you should be doing Bethesda is post when the major patch for consoles is and stop making out your game ISNT broken for the majority of your users. Cunts.

For me personally, Its a catch 22, because I want to delve into Skyrim more, but I want to trade it in out of spite and get The Reckoning.
    Back of my mind though is telling me that what Skyrim does is better.

5. YoungZer0

@3: Dunno what Mods you’re talking about. Usually Mods don’t over-write original game files.

6. jnms

There’s a whole bunch of Obvlivion mods that overwrite original files. It’s one of the main reasons for having Wrye Bash…allows you to revert to original files.

7. fearmonkey

I am very much looking forward to what the mod community will do with this game. I’d love to the Morroblivion guys do the same in skyrim or oblivion in skyrim.
    The videos that people have on youtube where they go to morrowind and Cyrodiil in Skyrim are interesting, even though its not true geometry, maybe they can build on that?
    The latest graphic updates to Morrowind have been amazing, i’m wondering what they could improve on, besides textures, for skyrim.

8. TheWulf

Skyrim needs this.

I actually have a list of all of the things that I want to fix when I get my hands on it, and I’m sure that there are modders who feel the same way.

For example – dragons. I don’t want them to be as bad as bloody cliffracers.

So, my proposed fix for this: After the defeat of Alduin, dragons are free to think and act as they want, and most choose to opt for survival. They’re not being forced into action any more, so 80% of dragons are neutral and do nothing. 10% of them attack, seeking revenge or just being suicidal or what have you, 5% will flee at the very sight of the Dovahkiin, and 5% (those of Paarthurnax’s beliefs, if you spared him) will actually help you out.

It’ll provide some damn variety to dragon encounters.

“Is it going to remain neutral? Fly off? Help me? Or try to eat me?”