Rumour: Leon Kennedy, Chris Redfield to lead RE6

Thursday, 19th January 2012 17:56 GMT By Johnny Cullen

VentureBeat’s Dean Takahashi has bet all in on red, reporting that Leon Kennedy and Chris Redfield will both be the protagonists of Resident Evil 6.

The report said that Ada Wong, last sighted in Resident Evil 4, will also come back, but in what capacity is unknown. Ada was spotted in the first trailer for the new movie Retribution this morning.

The company has outsourced some of its big names to western devs as of recent years, including Blue Castle – now Capcom Vancouver – with Dead Rising 2 and more recently, DMC in the hands of Ninja Theory.

It’s thought a recent viral campaign that’s been tied to Capcom is counting down to a Resident Evil 6 reveal later tonight at 10pm GMT, or 2pm US PST. A 15th anniversary celebration for the series as a whole around the same time in Tokyo is set to be streamed online here.

1. LOLshock94

NOOOOOOOOOOOO theres a reason why res5 wasnt scary and it was because of coop

2. Unlimax

Stupid Duo to be honest … Jill and Claire itself is deserve to be on RE6 and take over those douchebags who just ruin everything with there “TPS” !

3. triggerhappy

I know everyone has different tastes but for me theres nothing really that appealing about Leon. I would probably say my fav resi character is Jill, closley followed by Chris. I know for a lot of people though a Leon & Chris combo would be mind blowing. I REALLY hope this does actually turn out to be a Resident Evil 6 announcment, if it turns out to be a new Dead Rising i’ll be proper not chuffed.

4. YoungZer0

@3: They are all shallow as fuck, how do you even keep them apart?

5. triggerhappy

^ keep them apart? What do you mean?

6. TraceableX

Mediocre TPS action game with QTEs then.

Don’t get me wrong, I love RE4.

7. ManWithNoName

I prefer an Ada/Jill or Ada/Claire duo for the next RE.

8. Len

Agree the coop in 5 was bobbins but at least they are supposedly looking at 4 not 5 for this. RE4 is a stone cold classic imo. What a game… :)

9. The_Red

So, another co-op action / third person shooter from Capcom? YAY!?
    Please, just leave this series alone Capcom. You’ve already killed the soul of the series with RE4 and the fun of it with RE5. Don’t make it any worse.
    Go back to producing your Resident Socom spin-offs and cancelling Mega Man games please.

10. absolutezero

He means tell them apart, because he cares not for the chracters and story of Resident Evil he has stated that he cannot tell them apart from one another. Like the 4 dudes in Gears of War.

Anyway this would be the first game thats had both the main characters be male, all the other ones were an even split between male and female main characters, even RE4 which was nearly all Leon had controlable Ashley moments and the Ada side quest.

Might upset the balance somewhat so I doubt this is going to become reality.

11. AHA-Lambda

“Capcom is said to be looking at a mix of action and horror gameplay from Resident Evil 4 rather than Resident Evil 5′s straight up action.

VB also noted that development is being handled internally in Japan instead of an outsourced western developer.”

they both sound too sensible, it can’t possibly be true -_-

12. triggerhappy

Ones called Leon, the others called Chris. I don’t see the problem.

13. Razor

Ugh, give me Ada any day.

14. Colin Gallacher

I look forward to more men with biceps bigger than most UK villages and boulder punching.

15. osric90

No Chris please… Jill and Leon. Jill being the primary. Mansions, darkness, way better controls and stuff but still silence, mystery, suspense and yes, co-op but after the first playthrough. The only thing I loved about RE5 was that I was able to play it like 10 times without getting bored because of amazing unlockables… weapons, outfits, secrets, the upgrades… If you can mix that with RE2′s mystery and emptyness and make it a not boring come and go game… you have the best Resident Evil.

16. YoungZer0

@10: Actually cared for the story of the first two games. After that it got worse with every entry.

However the characters? Couldn’t care less, they don’t really have a personality.

17. absolutezero

Barry Burton is created from nothing but personality and beard.

18. LOLshock94

@17 amen

19. K-V-C

my favorite franchise is back to consoles i so cant wait !!!! i loved RE4 and RE5 very much hopefully capcom doesnt disappoint :) aw hyped much lol :)