EA bans and stat-wipes hundreds of BF3 cheaters

Saturday, 12th November 2011 20:15 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

EA has tweeted that it is has banned “hundreds of offending” Battlefield 3 accounts this weekend and have wiped the stats of those boosting or using exploits.

One of the methods of cheating used was a glitch which allowed the exploiter to”rack up tens of thousands of points in a single game as an engineer,” misusing the repair tool, according to GameSpy and BF3Blog.

EA further stated it is has “zero tolerance” for this sort of thing and is “determined to punish the players who play without integrity.”

It will continue to ban cheaters when they are made aware of them, and patch to fix the glitch being used is in the works.

1. sg1974

Oh to be a fly on the wall in those front rooms.

2. freedoms_stain

Can I have my quit rate reset? I don’t quit out of 20% of rounds, I crash out of them.

3. DSB

Killing cheaters = Swell.
    Fixing/balancing game = Vastly sweller.

4. albo88

EA bans players cos they game is broken? ROFL patch that shit
    man this is why i don’t always buy games

5. IL DUCE

Yeah this is awesome…when I would play hardcore I would teamkill the people doing the repair glitch in the back of the spawn…one guy would have one of those repair drones and the other player would shoot it so that the engineer could repair it…

@2 feed the hamsters a bit more bud…and if you are attempting to blame it on EA/DICE that would mean everyone’s quit rate is skewed like that so what’s the big deal?

6. silkvg247

@5 90% of my 14% quit rate is from crashes. I rarely log out of a game that I started, in fact I can’t rememebr the last time.

7. GrimRita

I guess a lot of the crashing issues are due to the lame Battlelog and the fact the game ALT/TABs between it and the game itself – something any old fool knows, Windows hates!

And, of course there is a minority of folk who crank up the settings when their PC simply cant deliver and crashes out.

But if the game wasnt such a grind fest (hey, you’ve unlocked a bottle holder!!!) with so many (in some cases pointless) unlocks, people probably wouldnt feel the need to exploit. However, seeing it in action, does make me laugh. Something the DICE QA team didnt check?!

8. freedoms_stain

@7, people with monster rigs are getting the same crashes as people with lesser rigs, it doesn’t appear to be hardware related.

9. GrimRita

Alt/tabbing probably. As I said, any one knows that is something Windows doesnt like and yet DICE planted it in their game..

10. Hunam

I have 16gb of Ram now, I can alt/tab all I like :P

11. DSB

There are clearly still a lot of issues.

It’s like a standing joke among the people I party with that we have to get one “Battlefield 3 has stopped working” out of the way before we can join a game “for real”.

And then sometimes you’ll try to join multiplayer or coop, and it’ll start the campaign. Just completely randomly.

It’s just not very good. And Punkbuster is just as faulty as it always was. I played a game yesterday where one guy was sniping people and getting instant headshots with an M249. He had 11 kills before anyone else even had 2.

They really need to fix that sort of thing before they start worrying about XP glitches.

12. freedoms_stain

@9, the crashes I’ve experienced my fingers never went near the alt or tab buttons, you don’t even have the game, your comments are moot.

13. GrimRita

Just because you arent Alt/tabbing at that moment, doesnt mean that its not causing the issue. Alt/tabbing IS an issue for Windows

14. DSB

It’s not a windows issue, it’s just Battlelog and BF3 fucking up. I can pretty much predict when and how my game is going to crash, so the problem is definitely in the code.

15. GrimRita

I remember with BF2142 and shitty Vista. The game would start to stutter after 2 hours of play before crashing. Then a hotfix came out from Nvidia and Microsoft to correct it.

Shame though as there really is no excuse for a game to simply crash, unless someone is cranking it up higher than their system can handle.

16. solidlystated

As stated by others above, my BF3 crashes every OTHER launch 100% of the time.

Additionally, since the website has to be open, Firefox randomly pops up an “upgrade to 8.1″ notice that immediately kicks me from the server I’m playing and no doubt increases my quit rate and labels me a cheater by punkbuster. The battle log shows the red message box as saying I was kicked