GTA V set within Los Santos, surrounding regions

Thursday, 3rd November 2011 12:19 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Take Two and Rockstar have formally announced that development on Grand Theft Auto V is well underway, confirming it will take place in Los Santos and within its surrounding areas.

Following the release of the first trailer yesterday, it was widely thought the locale would be the entire of San Andreas, including San Fierro and Las Venturas. Seems to be not the case.

Not much on the story is mentioned other than it sees you in “the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present day Southern California.”

It’s also been announced that flagship studio North in Edinburgh would be handling dev duties. North was mentioned in the trailer yesterday.

GTA V will, according to Take Two’s press release, be a “bold new direction in open-world freedom,” as well as story-telling, mission-based gameplay and multiplayer.

“Grand Theft Auto V is another radical reinvention of the Grand Theft Auto universe,” said Rockstar boss Sam Houser. “We are incredibly excited to share our new vision with our fans.”

Despite the information release, there’s still no formal confirmation of platforms or release timeline as yet.

1. Talkar

It is yet another “reinvention”? Really? Guess there is more time for Saints Row then.

2. Maximum Payne

I really wanted Las Venturas :(

3. DarkElfa

Awww, is this not another rehash of old crap?!

4. Fin

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Thought it was just Los Santos alright, having that level of fidelity over three cities is just mad.

5. daytripper

wanted vice city myself but was very impressed with the trailer, i think the guy who voices frank west features instead of ray liotta, the voice sounds very similar to the zombie bashing photographer

6. Ireland Michael

People, this is going to have about as much similarity to San Andreas as GTA4 Liberty had with GTA3.

Barely any.

The same basic aesthetic will be in place for the design, but that’s about it.

Sharing location names is a traditional of the series, but they have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Don’t expect any characters from the PS2 era to make any appearances either. Lazlow Jones is about as close to any sort of continuity as you’re going to get.

7. Blerk

Bring back Fernando Martinez and I’ll be happy.

8. Yoshi

@6 Just to clear it up; GTA 3 was VC and SA which is why Claude featured in SA. It was the same series if you will.

9. Quiiick

As I said before: My guess is that GTAV will be at least double the size of L.A. featured in “L.A. Noire”.

10. XDamage

I bought the PS2 in 2001 after I was shown and got to play GTA 3. It is one of the reasons why I have so many fond memories with it. (Like the fact that I played so much GTA 3 that christmas, that I even dreamt about it at night, and the fact that some conservative politicians here in Norway tried to ban it). I was 16 then, and the game was so over the top, and such cruel fun! Then came vice city, which I also loved, but by the time San Andreas came out I was pretty tired of the whole unrealistic sense of it, and maybe due to the fact I had a hard time relating to black gangsters.

GTA IV became EXACTLY what I wanted it to be. I know some people didn’t like the more realistic direction it took, but to me it felt like the series was growing up along with me. Now I’m 26, and I absolutely can’t wait to see what they do with the new iteration! :)

11. Yoshi

I’m gunna call it now, SF and/or LV DLC ;)… depending on the size of LS

12. Ireland Michael

Personally, the huge span of empty, barren terrain that separated all the different locations in San Andreas was my least favourite thing about the game, and made it probably my least favourite Grand Theft Auto of the PS2 era.

All the tacked on RPG stuff didn’t really do much for my either.

The more they stay away from that stuff for 5, the better.

13. StolenGlory

Yep, truly the less of that RPG, social micro-management bullshit the better. I mean c’mon, who wants to be in the middle of a bank heist when your mobile phone starts ringing and upon answering it you get this: ‘HEY COUSIN! IS A ROMAN! YOU FANCY GO LOOKING FOR SOME AMERICAN TITTIES?!’.

Actually, no I don’t you Eastern Bloc reject; I just want to finish the cunting mission without me having to babysit you 24/7 =/

14. Quiiick

Draw a rectangle in Google Maps from “Los Angeles County Open Space” (top left) to “Salt Lake Park” (bottom right) and you get aproximately the size of what GTA5 will be like.

This of course includes “Venice Beach” (bottom left) which has already been shown in the first trailer.

15. Ireland Michael

@13 I was actually referring more to all that exercise / eating / levelling stats bullshit from San Andreas, but yeah, less phonecalls could only be a good thing.

All they really need to do with that is lower the frequency with which your receive them though. The ability to completely silence some characters on your phone would be great. Make it something the player can choose to do at their own place, instead of cramming it in your ear all the time.

16. Phoenixblight

I actually enjoyed that aspect of San Adreas where I get to have control over what my character would look like, it was pretty awesome. I agree with the phone calls though it was too much and should be an option to opt out like putting your phone to vibrate or silent.

17. viralshag

@16, Yeah, I agree. Working out in the gym or eating a ton of hotdogs… those were usually two of my biggest choices in SA. I liked that one but Vice City is still my favourite.

18. DSB

Rockstar has some serious problems when it comes to making characters these days. They were way better at the crazy thing. I think the Lost and the Damned is case and point. You got a bunch of bikers acting like 16 year old girls. Who came up with that?

It’s like trying to go from Smokey and the Bandit to some grand drama. It’s not working for them.

Still, as long as they’re talking about a reinvention rather than a continuation of the last pseudo-realistic snorefest, I’m game. I’d have to buy it anyway just to see the tech though. I was almost scared to shoot people in GTA IV when it first came out, it looked too real.

19. joshua nash

sucks that it isn’t going to be all of San Andres

20. TD_Monstrous69

Well this at least answers one of my questions. Though I’m a little disappointed that GTA V won’t take place within the entire state of San Andreas, and only in Los Santos and surrounding areas (I’m assuming places like the hills and the Badlands) my excitement is still in high spirits. Though I might be in the minority on this one, I hope they bring back the TV show The Men’s Room with Bas and Jeremy in GTA V. Just because Bas Rudden is funny as hell in GTA IV (in a passive-agressive way that is).

21. corneliusw

I am so excited! I read somewhere the game is coming out in May 2012. I think this is the official GTA V fan site http://gtav.com by Rockstar. They have new screenshots of the game posted!! i cant wait until it comes out! I wonder if there will be more than one playable character based on the screenshot. The main character is a wealthy white male, but then in one screenshot it shows the police chasing a black guy in the alley.

22. fearmonkey

I bought into the hype with GTA4 and bought it at launch, my mistake.
    I didn’t enjoy it that much got bored a quarter of the game in. I enjoyed Mafia 2 more than GTA4. So, this one will be a rental at first, and a buy later if it captures me.

23. Petulant Radish

@19 well neither is your sentence so…

24. Quiiick

@#23 LOL! :-D

25. falcon909

an body knoe anything about the car customasation

26. sb319

@10 Well said

27. tenthousandgothsonacid

So you didn’t mention the fact that the press release said this was the biggest GTA ever ?

Also, rumour is, that trailer is ps3 footage.

[Does little dance of joy]