EA: BF3 360 servers at “95 percent and climbing”

Monday, 31st October 2011 15:00 GMT By Stace Harman

Following a number of problems affecting the online functionality of EA’s chart-topping shooter, the publisher has said it can at last see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Speaking by email to Kotaku about early online teething problems, EA said the majority of its Battlefield 3 servers had been stable over the past weekend.

“We are happy to report that PS3 and PC players experienced server stability all weekend, and Xbox 360 servers are at 95 percent and climbing. There were a number of different factors that impacted server connectivity across the platforms. Regardless of the cause or platform, our Online teams are standing by to identify the issues and addressed them as they arise. We will not rest until we’re at 100 percent.”

PC versions of Battlefield 3 had problems with the anti-cheat software Punkbuster, though these have apparently been rectified, whilst EA’s digital service Origin contributed some issues of its own.

“In the first 48 hours of launch, a small amount of Battlefield 3 PC players using Origin experienced an authentication issue,” the spokesperson said. “This is a known issue which has now stabilized. We continue to monitor the situation and are standing by to quickly resolve any future issues that might arise.”

Although a number of Battlefield players have experienced problems regardless of format, it’s Xbox 360 players that appear to have been worst hit. The EA spokesperson that responded to Kotaku’s questions acknowledged “There are a number of different factors impacting server connectivity on Xbox 360. It is a particularly complex server architecture and we continue to work with Microsoft to improve connectivity.”

It seems, though, that a significant contributor to many of the problems since launch is sheer weight of numbers.

“With such huge interest in the game, demand outstripped even our best expectations coming out of the beta,” admitted EA. “This is an evolving process that we are committed to improving. Even with a successful beta, systems under load will reveal new opportunities for optimization and improvement. When we see those opportunities, we would rather move immediately and create short-term inconvenience (maintenance period) to improve the long-term experience for all players.”

“We believe that the major issues are behind us, but our Online teams will not be happy until we’re at 100%. We continue to work on solving for each issue.”

1. OrbitMonkey

Yay!! Got kicked out twice this morning :(

2. DSB

Stable it is not.

3. Fin

I’m not trolling here:

Wtf was the beta for, if there’re still problems a week after release.

4. Gekidami

On PS3 you’ll get some failures to join a game, and ‘My Soldier’ takes two tries to actually access, but overall its perfectly playable. Generally once you get into a game you’ll have no problem playing several maps in a row.

5. Hcw87

There has never been a flawless launch for a game this popular ever, so no need to whine about it. And the only reason there was a beta was because people bitched about it and would go apeshit if they didn’t have one.

6. OrbitMonkey

@Fin, What Beta? I only played the demo :)

7. Fin

Whatever you choose to call it, I’m pretty sure DICE came out multiple times and said “yeah, we’re using it to test the servers”.

8. OwnedWhenStoned

Anyone who was involved in either the 1.4 BF2 patch launch or the launch of 2142 expected this.

9. Ireland Michael

@4 Indeed. I’m on the 360, and I’ve had to try a few times before I could get onto a server using the “Quick Match” option, and once or twice I couldn’t get into my soldier’s stats, but other than that, the game itself has been perfectly playable. I’ve only lost the connection to a match in progress once.

Most of the PC related problems have nothing to do with the servers themselves, and almost everything to do with compatibility issues. But hey… it’s the PC.

10. OwnedWhenStoned

Michael, I have to agree. I’ve only racked up 2 hours playing, but I’ve had no problems with the multiplayer at all.

11. Ireland Michael

@10 And if claims that the 360 is the worst hit are true, then wow, what a bunch of cry-babies.

12. viralshag

Most of my time has been very positive so far. I have been DC’ed and I have had a few crashes. But in the 26 hours of game time, the problems have hardly been noticeable.

I think a lot depends on your connections and PC. I find myself loaded up and ready to go quickly compared to some of the guys I play with.

13. DSB

Ive had problems since the beginning. Its the BF3.exe process that doesnt terminate itself for some reason, leaving the battlelog stuck on “Joining Server” without as much as an error message.

@9 A quick internet search says differently. Origin is hardly a marvel of modern technology, it cant even uninstall a game, let alone give you an option to hide the Battlefield 3 Open Beta.

Having to do manual workarounds every time you want to do something kinda defeats the purpose of installing a client.

Also, pulling the compatability card rings pretty hollow when the developer has been virtually pissing PC credibility all year. Plenty of developers manage to brave that hurdle just fine, so when you actually claim to be the Rolls Royce in a race full of bangers, people might expect you to do the same.

14. Ireland Michael

@13 Uh, I never even mentioned Origin. I was referring solely to the game itself.

15. DSB

@14 I added something about the compatability. Which is the thing Im commenting on. Its far from simply compatability issues.

Youll always find five rednecks running 20th century hardware on any given forum on any given PC release. This is something entirely different.

16. Ireland Michael

@15 Oh, I won’t deny its pretty annoying, but it can be worked around. Apparently my friend managed to stop it hanging on the “Joining Server” by disabling UPnP on his modem.

You seem to think I’m defending DICE here. I’m not. But compatibility is always a bitch no matter the game, and the percentage of people suffering these problems is not that problem.

17. DSB

@16 Its not so much whether you defend them or not, I like the game itself and Im impressed with how much better DICE seem to have become. Its just the fact that there are likely to be quite a few thousands of people who are having these problems, and so I think its a bit cheap to chalk that down to circumstance or loud idiot users.

Its all in the infrastructure from what I can tell, and not the game itself, so its not like its another RAGE disaster, but they all seem like the kinds of banalities that could really only be there if someone somewhere is doing a sloppy job.

I mean its one thing to have overlooked something like the process not automatically terminating, but its yet another not to think of actually adding an error prompt for that sort of fuck-up. I have to first realize that nothings happening, then look it up, find the answer, and correct it myself.

Which is why I tuned into the Origin tangent, because the same seems to be the case there. Pretty basic functionalities are nowhere to be found.

18. John117

Battlelog wont start your game? Reboot PC, ensure Origin and firewalls are disabled and try to join a server. Works every time for me :P

19. G1GAHURTZ

Come on guys…

Be positive.

20. manamana

Looking forward to the 100% – meanwhile I enjoy the other 95%. Gosh it’s addictive!

21. G1GAHURTZ

Wow. That’s interesting.

Could this be EA’s server farm?

22. DSB

And you lose your stats when you get disconnected. That’s pretty fucking annoying. Just played a great round as Recon for the first time. Boom, disonnected, nothing counts.

23. OrbitMonkey

^ That exact same thing happened to a friend of mine. We’d buddies up in a tank and basically captured every flag, then he disappears. Gets back in, but all points gone obviously. I went on to be MVP… What a kick in the balls :(

24. Lounds

@orbitmonkey check out the chart post, knob head.

25. OrbitMonkey

@Lounds, Stop flirting with me, your not my type xx