RAGE releases today – watch the full first mission in HD

Friday, 7th October 2011 12:45 GMT By Patrick Garratt

RAGE hits Europe today after releasing in the US on Tuesday. Watch Pat play the first 30 minutes of the 360 version in a comedically terrible fashion, voiceover included.

RAGE, id’s first new IP for 15 years, is here. Hands down, it’s one of the most attractive games you’ve ever seen. That’s in a tech sense, obviously; those mutants are pretty darn ugly.

Check out the entire first mission of the post apocalypse’s newest shooter in the two videos below. Listen carefully and you can hear my twin sons screaming in the background. Get all the review scores here.

1. themadjock

It’s good and looks amazing on PS3 imho. The lack of autosave has already caused me to have to redo about 10 minutes worth though. Very annoying.

2. jnms

I really don’t know what all the negative fuss is about. Personally I have disliked all other id games, with the exception of the first Doom. The rest were terrible.

Rage is actually pretty damn good…an real nice looking to boot!

3. Patrick Garratt

It’s great fun. It looks bloody amazing and I get to shoot men in the face.

4. Dralen

Total agreement with all of the above. Plus, I really love talking to all the different characters you meet, even the ones that don’t have that much dialogue. Although I have disagree with you jnms, partially anyway, I loved Doom 3.

5. themadjock

I lol’d the first grenade I threw turned two bandits into sticky red goo

6. Johnny Cullen

What Pat said. Loving it so far, although the lack of an auto-save annoys me.

7. Magicpocket

There is an auto-save for every area you enter. Being able to save at any time is pretty neat though.

8. Phoenixblight

You have to have the PC version to understand and even then its been mostly squashed with the new drivers thats the only issue that people have had, is the texture pop ins as you play the game. You also have the crappy textures for inside the building and individual items also no dynamic lighting and thats why you get those awesome green shadows.

9. jnms

@8, I do have the PC version. I get a lot of texture pop-up but it really doesn’t bother me. I have no problems with the lighting and shadows though.

Really not sure why. My PC is nearly six years old, and the graphic drivers haven’t been updated for a year.

Pretty poor that the game is running as bad as people are saying.

That said, my comment regarding the negativity aimed at the game, was in regards to the supposedly ‘poor’ gameplay.

10. Phoenixblight

Oh yeah the gameplay is very solid I honestly think people thought this was going to be an open world game or an RPG game. This is ID, they do linear FPS that is their thing.

11. DSB

Second install was the lucky one for me.

It’s not a bad game, it’s just hard to find a place for it between Fallout and Borderlands. It’s a run of the mill shooter that looks great, but if I wasn’t short of things to play at the moment, it would be pretty underwhelming.

id haven’t exactly done themselves any favors. Introducing quests and inventory (and as far as I can tell at this point, crafting) doesn’t go very far to affirm that you aren’t trying to make an RPG.

12. BraveLilCrumpet

I got Rage this morning for PC and just finished the first mission.

I will say that it looks and plays great so far and the only texture pop-in I’ve had is when you first enter 3rd person mode getting on the buggie – the guys armour took about a second to load.

That said I am getting pretty bad screen tear though which is a little distracting

13. Phoenixblight

You have to force V sync through your GPU.

14. BraveLilCrumpet

Cool, thanks for that dude.

I will say that the Bethblog instructions were a little vague – you have to turn v-sync on for the specific application and not just “global” for it to work, or at least I did.

15. Phoenixblight

Exactly. Not a fan of a piece of software deciding what is best setting for the game. This patch that will allow changing of graphic settings can’t come soon enough.

16. DSB

I like the idea of automating that sort of thing, but you really can’t do it without also giving people the option of choosing themselves.

Maybe they want low quality shadows and high quality models, maybe they want the opposite. It’s not a good idea to force it on people.

17. BraveLilCrumpet

What happened to the good old days where you could set all the video settings manually?
    If I want to melt a GPU then I should have the options to do so….

18. Edo

They are(apparently)making a patch that will allow more gfx tweaks http://www.dsogaming.com/news/rage-pc-incoming-patch-will-add-graphics-options/ .

19. 3rikko

i got this games last saturday.. it only took about 12 hours to finish it.. including all side missions and races.. a bit to short.. but the game itself is one of the best i’ve ever played. 9/10

20. Phoenixblight

Its a linear FPS and even ID had stated the game will give you about 15 hours where the standard for Shooters are 3-5 hours. Like I said people expecting the wrong things out of this game.