Outdated GPU drivers blamed for Rage PC issues

Wednesday, 5th October 2011 00:10 GMT By Brenna Hillier

AMD has released new drivers, available on its website, in response to complaints of screen tearing, texture and performance issues with the PC version of Rage.

According to the Bethesda Blog, Id is working with Nvidia to push out a similar fix. Users are advised to wait for the Rage-specific update rather than upgrading willy-nilly.

Of particular note are those using drivers updated for the Battlefield 3 beta, which will need to be rolled back.

Rage released yesterday in the US and arrives elsewhere by the end of the week, for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Reviews have been largely delighted.

Thanks, GiantBomb.

1. DSB

It’s definitely not just GPUs. GPUs aren’t the cause of the game crashing on people, or as in my case, not even starting. I’m running a properly updated Nvidia and I’ve had to ask for a refund.

They’re just using AMDs incompetence as a misdirection from the greater mess in this case.

2. xxJPRACERxx

@1, agree with you 100%. The new drivers didn’t change anything for me. To see how bad it is, you can check my video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7WlVfSkj14

I just hope id is working on the problems too, because it’s much more than just drivers. I’ll wait a week to see some developement otherwise I’ll ask for a refund.

3. Phoenixblight

ID and John Carmack already replied that they are fixing the issues as we speak. Carmack has never really liked AMD, thats why GPU Transcode is only on the Nvidia cards.

4. YoungZer0

@3: Ah, okay, so because Carmack doesn’t like something it makes it okay to release a fundamentally broken game.

5. Edo

Someone should bitch slap this mo fo !!!

6. viralshag

I have almost lost all hope for this game and based on some of the reviews I have read, my own impressions from Eurogamer and the articles about it being a “broken game”.

I kinda wish I could get a refund from Steam, damn me and my pre-purchasing ways, sounds like Dark Souls would have more than filled me with good gaming feelings over the weekend.

7. silkvg247

Do Nvidia cards have issues?

8. damo110011

This is why i play on consoles pc might have better graphics but even if you have above the recommended requirements games still dont always work and shops dont refund pc games.
    consoles stick disc in maybe an install and play garuanteed to work
    pc stick in disk install wont work (but i have an i7 2.8ghz 2gb graphics card 16gb ram 1tb hard drive) why wont you work!!!!! damn lost £29.99

9. SplatteredHouse

Do I read correctly, that now you can either have your graphics tuned to Battlefield 3, OR able to support Rage?
    It’s just a joke, that they need to “roll back” optimisations for another game, just to enable theirs to work remotely as intended. In fact, it’s a disgrace. Makes you wonder which game’s more the beta state! :o