Final Fantasy brand “greatly damaged,” says Wada

Tuesday, 27th September 2011 11:47 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada has said that the Final Fantasy brand had been “greatly damaged” following the launch of Final Fantasy XIV last year.

Speaking at a press conference in Japan this morning, Wada merely said in simple terms “The Final Fantasy brand has been greatly damaged,” when asked about FFXIV.

The Squeenix president added, however, that it would “continue with our reform work, which basically amounts to fully redoing the game, and hope to revive the FFXIV that should have been released.”

No mention was made of the PS3 version, which has gone quiet since gamescom last year.

Final Fantasy XIV launched last September for PC, but got out of the game with bad reviews and more.

Thanks, Andriasang.

1. awaltzforvenus

Hint: You guys have done a lot more to damage Final Fantasy than just Final Fantasy XIV, Square.

2. YoungZer0

Just release that FF7 Remake so people can finally shut up.

3. deadstoned

Final Fantasy XIV us beyond improvement, kill it and give money back. I expect that’ll please customers.

4. 2plus2equals5

ff14? Why don’t we talk about ff13? I’m not an expert of ff, but ff13 has the WORST battle system i’ve ever played.
    I didn’t even finish the game, too bad that i want to see the end of the story.

5. Clupula

In fact, I’m getting the impression that you didn’t play long enough to see all the features of the battle system. Admittedly, though, making the first 20 hours of the game one big tutorial was probably not the brightest idea on Squeenix’s part.

6. kupocake

“I’ve found that most people who don’t like it were simply too lazy to go to the options screen and turn off auto-battle.”

Doesn’t this kind of say ‘The battle system is fantastic. You just have to turn it off first’?

7. Kabby

Anything after 9 is just bad. Presentation over game play.

8. deathgaze

Yeah, we shouldn’t have to play a crappy game for 20 hours in order to find a good game.

I never thought I’d say this, but I think it’s time for Final Fantasy to die. At least for a good while until Square can decide to give everyone the real RPG that they want instead of the waffling about that they’re doing now.

I’ve read interviews with Wada before. He constantly emphasizes how “hard” it would be to do what people want and apologizes for the quality of the latest Final Fantasy game. He’s a whiny wimp. Want to save Final Fantasy? Stop being creatively lazy, get off your collective asses and decide to make a decent freakin’ video game again.

It’s not that hard, I promise. You used to do it all the time.

9. viralshag

@8 /pat on the back.

He speaks the truth.

10. DLTDawnlight

I say just forget about XIV and focus on FF vs. XIII and your new Final Fantasy XV. Square dwells too much in the past with all of these ports and remakes they produce.

11. OrbitMonkey

For me personally I dislike the style they went with from ff10 onwards. That futuristic medieval vibe. Sure its great for cosplay & guys who like to dress like the fairy princess they’ll never be, but leaves me cold.

12. Deacon

It’s getting so damn painful / embarrassing to hear the constant stream of apologies and promises from this once great studio.

As #8 said, with all their talent, it really shouldn’t be hard to rectify their mistakes and give their countless fans something they actually want.

How did XIV even get released in such a broken state?!

13. viralshag

@12, And what makes it sad is the fact that of the few friends that played FFXIV, they all had some really good things to say about the game. Sadly, it didn’t count for anything as the state of the game overall, was very poor.

I’m not normally one to miss an MMO but there was just too much negative feedback to ignore. Such a shame really.

14. NeoSquall

They can’t kill Final Fantasy, or else they would be forced to strip the FF XXVII poster from Pritchard’s Office.

15. silkvg247

Why am I the only person who enjoyed the first 20 hours of FFXIII (given that it’s linearity and story driven gameplay was in-line with almost every predecessor), and then got hopelessly bored/lost once it went open ended?

As for XIV, I just don’t understand the gameplay of it at all. Even the questing is weird (time limit, seriously?) And the menu based UI is frankly abysmal and I won’t give the game a second look ’til it has a more normalised PC front end.

It’a a shame though because I did like the overall look of the game, and the intro. Heck I didn’t even mind combat “that” much, other than aformentioned menu dynamics. With a fixed UI and a proper questing system the game would probably be good.

16. Phoenixblight

“driven gameplay was in-line with almost every predecessor), and then got hopelessly bored/lost once it went open ended?”

What? None of the FF were as linear as FFXIII. One of the complaints about FFX was its linear way of progression and then with FFXIII they do it even more?

The combat which was even more restricted with being able to control a single character? It was final Fantasy with No Carbs or No sugar. SOmehow the designers thought “AUto-Battle” was a good idea.

Then the sphere system which was the sphere grid on a linear path in fact they should have removed that system in the first place and just do it old school style where the characters get their abilities as they progress instead of the whole facade of choice.

“Everytime I try and get back into it I just have no idea where to go, so give up.”

So then to do anything in your life you need someone like your parents to constantly tell you what you need to do. That’s just sad.

“The battle system in FFXIII was great. I’ve found that most people who don’t like it were simply too lazy to go to the options screen and turn off auto-battle.”

I didn’t like it and you can’t turn off “auto-battle” You just change where the default selection is like abilities so you aren’t tempted to just mash the confirm button. Sorry but Square thought this was a good idea and then put it as the default setting its completely and utterly their fault for removing the tactical choices of the last games. No removing of choices saved this game infact thats all they did for FFXIII. Is took what worked for previous games and removed 90% of the choices and then put an “auto-battle” on top it so you could essentially become a button masher if Square didn’t want that, they would have removed the selection.

17. Deacon

FFXIII, for all its flaws, had one of, if not THE best combat systems in a modern RPG.

I will defend it from you fucktards until you wake the hell up!

Phoenix, saying it’s not tactical just makes you look like a dumbass. Where were the different paradigms in FFVII & VIII ?

18. 2plus2equals5

@5:
    Sorry but absolutely no.
    I’ve played with slow battles(to get a minimum of control) until the l’cie that wants to kill you(after the fal’cie with 5 heads).
    Do the battle system change after that battle? No. I used to AVOID battles, because i really don’t like them! And we are talking about a jrpg!
    Sorry but i find really pathetic when one stops at a certain point and someone says something like “the best of the game is after that point” or “you can’t judge because you don’t have completed the game”… A good game is good most of the time, not after 20 hours or even less. I’m not complaining about linearity, SE made everything wrong with the battle system, the most important thing in a rpg’s gameplay, no excuses.

19. Deacon

@18 avoid battles? it sounds to me like you failed to grasp the concept of the paradigm system, and possibly the game itself.

20. Kabby

XIII is bad. Just accept it.

21. Phoenixblight

“XIII requires you to PLAN SHIT OUT and to setup your team properly, and even then you have to change on the fly, improvise, experiment, depending on circumstances. When the hell did previous FF’s do this, other than XII?”

Final Fantasy 10 allowed you to not only change members on the fly but allowed you to control all characters. And they allowed you to do it right at the beginning of the fucking game not 20 hours in.

“I will defend it from you fucktards until you wake the hell up!”

Keep defending it but even Square said it was horribly implemented so much so they are throwing FFXIII-2 as a way to make up for their last mistake of FFXIII.

22. DaMan

No bishounens, upskirts, phallic swords, pompous midis or screen swirling anymore? Bummer.

23. silkvg247

@16 firstly, lol @ pointless trolling? How bizzarre. Perhaps I should indeed call my retired parents in Spain and ask them where to go next in this large, empty field!

Secondly, I also hate the combat in FFXIII which is another reason I don’t go back to it. I’m not sure why you assumed I liked the combat as I said no such thing. I agree with you that the standard “learn as you level” approach was better for characters; to me it made each charcter more unique. It’s why the SNES FF’s were my favourite.

FFXIII tried to do both linear and non-linear and failed. You can’t have an open ended non linear feel to a game that has for the first 20 hours led you down a path and told a solid story. It’s like reading a book and then having the last 200 pages fly out in random directions, whilst also mysteriously losing their page numbering.

It’s also got half of the pre-requisties for an open non-linear game completely missing. NPC’s, quests and so on. Yes I found a town, but God it was dull.

24. loki

ок PC it is way too FAIL
    fixed

25. silkvg247

@17 You might like the combat system but I’m afraid it does have one serious flaw: You are not in direct control of your party. For ANY party driven RPG it is kind of essential to be able to, you know, control your party.

Yes you can change the AI of your party via paradigms, and yes the AI will respond to exposed weaknesses, but personally I would prefer that the combat be turn based. Despite what you seem to think, there is a lot of strategy to be had in turn based combat, and those who think otherwise have no doubt never beated the harder, secret bosses in the older FF games.

Long story short I don’t want the computer playing my characters for me. It takes away way more than it gives back.

26. Ireland Michael

@12 Any real talent that Square ever had (Sakaguchi, Matsuno, Takahashi) has been long gone from the company. Square do little more than rehash the same derivative steretoypes over and over and over again nowadays. It’s gotten boring to the point that nobody really cares anymore.

@15 The problem there was that, even though FFXIII “opened up” after the first 20 hours, there was barely anything to do in these open areas anyway. The game was barren of content.

I honestly didn’t mind the battle system of FFXIII itself. The problem with FFXIII was everything else that surrounded it. The stupid and restrictive “levelling” system, the horribly derivative characters, and the terrible story.

It’s the only Final Fantasy I’ve ever traded in. And that’s includes FFX-2.

27. Phoenixblight

“My statement about the first 20 hours being simialr to other FF games is true. A set path, a set story and set characters. That is the difference between JRPG’s and the more open ended PC RPG’s. As someone who has played and completed all but the original NES games I feel I am qualified to make the comparison, are you?”

What I am talking about is the games prior to FFX and FFXII itself did have a linear story I am completely fine with that what I am talking about is that FFXIII was a long ass hallway with no choice in where to progress in the world, thats what I am talking about. I am also qualified to compare older FF’s to the current one as I also started on the NES. FFXIII only allowed you to go through world after 30 hours in and even then it wasn’t open but once you beat the game then you can do all those missions.

I am completely fine with a set story, Catherine and Shin Megami games are my favorite my problem is long polished hallways for 30 hours with only controlling one character and piece mealing the combat and options through out the game.

28. The Evil Pope

The franchise has become stale and boring as it’s been milked to death…

29. The Evil Pope

@24 – calm down fanboy!

30. Bleener

it’s far more damaged by the release of FF13-2 then FF14 or the fact they can’t seem to handle FF13 versus development in a reasonable time frame even for a FF game

31. Avatar226

just saying i loved ff13 the battle system was AMAZING if u think its to easy simple…turn off auto battle…other then that simple solution square…QUIT with the ff4 remakes and get on with giving us ff7 the world will go CRAZY…