Star Wars: The Old Republic gets release date and pricing

Saturday, 24th September 2011 12:44 GMT By Patrick Garratt

BioWare has confirmed that EA MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic will release on December 20 in the US and December 22 in Europe, and has finally announced subscription fees.

The game’s launch trailer has also been
released today.

The news came out of a Eurogamer Expo session, and additional information has appeared on the game’s official site.

The game was first announced in 2008 and had been on track for release in EA’s current financial year.

Said BioWare head Ray Muzyka: “This is an incredible moment for everyone at BioWare and our partners at LucasArts who have dedicated their lives to build this extraordinary game. We appreciate the patience from the millions of fans who have been waiting for the game’s release.”

News of a firm date will thrill fans. There’s been constant dodging on the subject of launch from both EA and BioWare, with director James Ohlen saying in August that a date wouldn’t be given until the studio and publisher were sure the release would be a “bug-free experience”.

He added: “I’ve been on this project for six years: I want it to live up to the expectations.”

Pricing has also been confirmed. The game will cost $14.99/£8.99/€12.99 for one month; $13.99 per month (a one-off charge of $41.97/£25.17/€35.97) for three months; and $12.99 per month (a one-off charge of $77.94/£46.14/€65.94) for six months of play.

The game comes with 30 days of play-time.

The Old Republic has been the subject of intense press coverage throughout its development, with speculation most recently emerging that this will be the last great subs-based MMO.

Beta issues have dogged the title in the last few months, with weekend testing announced at PAX last month.

Analysts have predicted the game will move 3 million units in its first year, although pre-orders have been strictly limited, presumably to stop a day one rush.

1. Talkar

Holy Yoda on freaking stereoids knocking down rancors with a stick!
    i guess it worked with a little “In nomine Dei nostri Satanas Luciferi Excelsi” every day :P

2. GrimRita

Ready or not, here it comes in time for the holiday$$$$$

Subs have been announced
    Each copy of Star Wars: The Old Republic will come with 30 days of subscription time, after which you have the option to continue playing with one of the following monthly subscription fees:

1 Month Subscription: $14.99 (£8.99/€12.99)
    3 Month Subscription: $13.99 per month (one-time charge of $41.97/£25.17/€35.97)
    6 Month Subscription: $12.99 per month (one-time charge of $77.94/£46.14/€65.94)

3. Talkar

@2 Idd, personally this is the best time for me to have the game release. I have exams in december, alongside many others i would think. And honestly, i think SWToR is going to take up all my time, so it would be really hard to do some programming for an exam if that game was out :P

4. GrimRita

I do agree. When Galaxies came out, it wasnt during a holiday period, so I had to book a MONTH off work lol. Thankfully, we werent busy so I was given the time off to play as I imported it.

But after the PR bullshit earlier in the week about being ‘ready’ for the biggest launch, combined with a screwed up beta test for Europe(didnt happen!) all of a sudden they are ‘ready’?

5. Stephany Nunneley

Well. That’s that then. I owe people some money.

6. Droid

About time they told us a date! Not as badly priced as I was expecting so pre-order here i come!

7. GrimRita

I do hope EA dont screw this up like they did with WAR. WAR was released so unpolished it stunned me, which was a shame because I found it very enjoyable.

I just wonder if the announcement from Blizzard about Diablo 3 coming in early 2012 has brought this forward considering that the large scale beta tests havent happened yet.

8. GrimRita

Launch trailer has gone live

9. Talkar

Honestly GrimRita, i think with all the beta testing, that has been going on for what? About 2 years now, we can expect a polished game. Mind you, there will be bugs of course, it is an MMORPG xD On another note, i really don’t think Diablo 3 has anything to do with it. I mean, they’ve said all year they were aiming for a 2011 release, and they’ve already broken EA preorder records, so they are destined to sell this game extremely well :P

10. GrimRita

I hope and pray its not too safe and that pvp isnt unbalanced like in Rift but it captures the elements of WAR, of actually feeling part for a war. I do expect a huge patch on day 1 though which isnt uncommon.

The biggest disappointment for me(apart from it being generic) is that Bounty Hunters dont actually hunt anything, apart from NPCs. In Galaxies, that was worth the monthly fee alone. One day this might change but I doubt it. So I will have to roll a different class

11. Talkar

I actually agree with you for once there xD It is sad the bounty hunters don’t hunt other players. That being said, i won’t be doing any PvP at all in the beginning. I’m going to play it as a Single Player game, atleast on my first char. But i can see the dilemma for people wanting to PvP on day 1.

12. Erthazus

I hope it will offer something more than World Of warcraft. Just dialogs ain’t going to cut it.

13. Talkar

Well, it has space combat, a cover system, a way better companion system, different PvP experiences, but i guess we won’t know how it’ll do until a month or two after launch

14. Phoenixblight

SO pumped and its releasing when I don’t have class for an entire month. So guess what I will be doing ;)

15. tontsa91

Nice, but I think I’ll play Guild Wars 2 instead.

16. Phoenixblight

GW2 is not coming out this year, hell you will be lucky if it comes out prior to March. Troll harder next time.

17. Roughrider

Don’t expect it to be the second coming folks. My guess is much shallower game play and world design than WoW, with much better dialogue. Oh wait, maybe its not a guess…

Grimrita, I hope all of your fears of PVP worthiness and EA not screwing it up are alleviated at launch, or a few months afterwards, but my spider sense tells me – FAT FREEKING CHANCE BATMAN!

18. Phoenixblight

I have seen multiple videos of beta leaks and I even got the chance to play it for the first weekend. I know what I am getting into and I enjoyed my time with the game.

Go troll somewhere else.

19. viralshag

So I just got back from Eurogamer, didn’t get a chance to play TOR because 1. the queue was too long and slow, 2. I was too hungover and tired to wait and 3. the queue was too long.

From what I LOOKED at, the game looks much much better than I was expecting. The combat was looked a bit so so but it does look very polished and crisp.

P.S. the massage stand got two visits and that was amazing. Would have been happy to stay there all day if I had enough money.

20. Ireland Michael

I’ll give it six months before most users get bored and leaves for another game, or goes back to WoW.

Almost every single MMO developer seems to make the exact same mistake when it comes to keeping their game going long-term, and that is this – they never focus on end game content.

If there’s nothing to do when people reach the level cap, they simply get bored and go somewhere else. If BioWare isn’t already prepared to keep up to pace with new content, dungeons and raids for players, it won’t last very long.

21. viralshag

@20, To be fair they have stated multiple times that they do already have a pretty extensive schedule for content release.

While I do mostly agree with your that that statement, I do think players should give new MMOs some slack. I think it’s very easy to say “there should be more content” but really WoW has been going strong for over 5 years and has a lot of time to put in the content.

While I don’t think the time thing is a completely valid excuse for a dev to have little end game content, I still think players these days are a little too quick to simple say “bleeeh, nothing to do. I’m leaving!”

22. viralshag

@21, that’s so full of errors I can’t be bothered to fix. :)

23. Phoenixblight

THats already been mentioned Bioware has a 10 year plan for this game so they have a general layout of what they want to do with the entire game.

24. Ireland Michael

@23 It’s one thing to say that you have a “ten year plan”. It’s something else entirely to be actually succeed in creating 10 years worth of engaging, challenging, high quality raids and instances that will convince players to stay motivated and keep coming back.

If they don’t balance the difficulty right, or make sure it takes time to complete, people will simply breeze through it, snag their loot, and quickly get bored.

Blizzard couldn’t keep it up for even half a decade.

25. Talkar

And for all you people wanting to play for the empire. If you want to troll the republic, just tell them they are going to lose :P According to the lore the Empire wins the war and enjoys a jedi purge :D
    (I know a bit off topic :P )

26. Phoenixblight

You are correct but Blizzard still has 11 million subs so apparently they are still doing it right.

But its still good to have a general plan look at DCUO had no plan and then it had no endgame what happened 6 months later it consolidated to a few servers and its going F2P next month.

Bioware are already ahead of them on that front.

27. darksied

Bioware is so much more gigantic now than they were back when they made Baldur’s Gate and those older games. If there’s anyone right now who can compete with Blizzard for content and quality in their games, then it’s Bioware, in my mind. It’s also Star Wars, so they can add a ton of stuff without messing with the original story; i.e. the content is there, they just have to have it in place and a plan for release.

For those people who are talking about Guild Wars 2 … I’m also interested in this game (like, a lot; I haven’t been interested in an MMO for a LONG time), but it is HOPEFULLY coming out next year. I don’t even think we have a definite on THAT. It’s slated for 2012, but who knows what will happen. That just means there’s a long wait for that game.

28. Talkar

Plus Guild Wars 2 doesn’t require any subscriptions, so i don’t see any reason for not playing both SWToR and Guild Wars 2.

29. GrimRita

@21 The thing about WoW and its strangle hold is because it arrived at a time when MMOs were pretty difficult to play, full of bugs and lacked and real ‘content’.

Blizzards track record of polishing turds, helped it be a successful. When you consider today, that some players are a)bored of it b) have invested ALOT of time in years , they are all looking for something that will draw them away.

In order to do that, I think an MMO needs to offer something radical and addictive and something totally different(in some area) than WoW – and frankly having ‘story’ just doesnt cut it and SWTWoW wont have any impact at all on WoW.

Bioware missed the chance to offer perhaps a different way of doing combat instead of following the same generic MMO formula – after all, we have lightsabers here that do more damage than one of my farts! And by calling combat ‘heroic’ is bullshit. Its not. They have just added 3 mobs in a single group with reduced health bars to make it ‘feel’ like you’re taking on more, when essentially, you’re not. I’ve played it several times and it all feels like it came from the wooden Phantom Menance!

For a game thats been in development for almost 6 years – thats alot of time to *almost* copy another MMO and the time scales are probably down to the voice acting fact – which then throws another question about content. Adding the voices is going to be costly and of course take time to prepare, thus creating delays probably on addition content coming to the game.

I think after 12 months, SWTWoW will probably sit pretty with around 1 million subs

30. jailin1

Online Store,Get Name Brand Fashion From 12USD Now!
    Lv,Gucci,Prada,Coach,Chanel Women sandal is $30
    DG,JUICY,Lv,Gucci,Coach Hand-bag price is $35
    Polo,Locaste,Levis,EdHardy,Bape,Christan Audigier AF,COOGI Tshirt price is $12
    Jeans price is $34,Door to Door services!
    5 days arrive your home or you

31. Demiath

I didn’t doubt a 2011 released date, but this game will most likely be kinda “meh” and totally break Bioware precisely for that reason. The good doctors got way in over their heads with this one…

32. Phoenixblight

Apparently there are a lot of people that feel threatened by TOR. Look at #31

Offers nothing to the discussion other then his ability to see the future. You can still play your games nothing is stopping you, there is no need for your trolling.

33. Talkar

I still don’t get why people are so focused on if this game is going to kill WoW or not. Who the hell cares? As long as SWToR is as awesome as it looks, then i’m happy. I don’t care if WoW has more content, more subs, more whatever, it’s been out for so long, it would honestly be weird if it didn’t have more of everthing. And honestly #29 for one who claims to have played the game, how can you say the combat is identical to that of WoW? It has a cover system, that alone is a huge difference, furthermore it has taken companions to a whole new level from what i’ve personally seen in any MMORPG. There may be some out there where the companions compare to those of SWToR. I also think you actually want this to be WoW. Just look at how you call it SWTWoW, you draw comparisons where there is none, you are blind to all the many many differences, and focuses on a very few selected things that are defining the MMORPG genre more than WoW, and says SWToR copied it. If you want it to be WoW, just play WoW. It is that simple, and i won’t mind if you do play WoW, a lot of people do, it is your choice, and if you enjoy it as much as it seems you do, just go for it!

34. Erthazus

@Phoenixblight, okay. We got it. You are fanboy of new unreleased mmo, but you must not call everyone a troll if they have it’s own opinion on this.
    Just because someone have an opinion he is not automatically fat troll.

@Talkar, “is as awesome as it looks,”

Just where it looks awesome? Even the animations are worse than in 5-6 year old game like World Of Warcraft.

“It has a cover system, that alone is a huge difference”

for certain classes abilities. This does not change anything. Trees, rocks and other cover stuff are your basic special abilities and thats it.
    SWTOR is not a shooter where cover system is important.
    any other mmo that follow WOW roots can do this if they want.

Cover is just a basic resistance.

“Just look at how you call it SWTWoW, you draw comparisons where there is none, you are blind to all the many many differences, and focuses on a very few selected things that are defining the MMORPG genre more than WoW, and says SWToR copied ”

If you are looking for the World Of Warccraft experience with lightsabers, than i guess it’s fine. But a lot of people tired of that 2005 mechanic and the best WOW is still WOW no matter what someone said. So a lot of people will return to that, unless they are huge Star Wars fans.
    Besides, game for now looks worse than WOW in everything.

for now, i see myself investing in this just to play with my girlfriend because she is an outrageous SW fan and she never played WOW before. So for her it’s a new experience.

But for me, i’m looking for new stuff. NCSOFT with ArenaNet does a much better job with Guild Wars 2. It’s coming next year prior to march-may and it’s going to be amazing in everything. It’s the most anticipated MMORPG for now: http://www.mmorpg.com You can look for yourself.

+ EA is well known for it’s bad big budget MMO’s that failed miserably (like Warhammer franchise) and Bioware now with it’s Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2 is a bit of a meh.

35. Erthazus

also, if i want World Of Warcraft experience that have a chance to beat that shit. MMORPG fanbase already know what That game will be and still it’s very questionable if they can beat Blizzard in the end, but it’s Games Workshop and it’s new big MMO.

Games Workshop is well known for it’s Warhammer franchise and setting and they know how to do it and know how to execute it because they started to make stuff with Blizzard. They still compete.

this guys have great new engine and most importantly a fantastic new setting for MMO universe that everyone were waiting for like 15 years.

PS: also, you can shoot using cover and using your chrosshair. Amazing right? :D Pushing the WOW mechanics even more.

36. GrimRita

Only two classes (1 each faction) have the cover system. But other melee classes and combat in general is the same MMO formula. I didnt say it was copying WoW in terms of combat. I said that if it wants to draw away people from WoW(which EA do)they needed to offer more engaging combat.

When you play it, you will see what I mean.

I’m not a fan of WoW – its crap but Blizzard have a strangle hold on the market for the reasons I stated, the biggest one being a 5 year+ investment for a lot of players, so drawing them away to a game that is almost a WoW clone in every other way simply isnt enough.

If SWTWoW attracts a user base of say 1 million subs and stays there – yes it will be a success but in EA’s bigwigs eyes, it wont be. EA want to rule the roost in every genre and theres no way EA would have invested so much time and money into a mediocre performing game.

PvP will be a deal breaker for me – it was with Rift, so if they go down the route of having ranking, then I wont be best pleased as its probably one of THE dumbest ideas to hit MMO gaming.

And after experiencing the ‘booster’ system in Rift where low end players take part in the PvP raids/warzones call them what you want, it simply doesnt work.

When I say that SWTWoW copied WoW/MMO formula thats just it. 6 years in development to essentially bring nothing new to the table (apart from story – big fucking deal). This was an opportunity for Bioware to really shake the MMO tree and deliver a true game changer but instead just followed the sheep and stuck to the same formula – hell, they even called the Jedi ‘Wizards’ earlier on. Thankfully the community outrage made them change.

And I am still trying to see where a Smuggler/Imperial Agent used ‘stealth’ as an ability….Rogue in WoW anyone?!!!

Personally, I have to lower my standards to rock bottom to see if I can actually enjoy this. Hopefully, there will be some nice touches – during my several hands on last year and this, I am still searching for them.

37. Talkar

Okay GrimRita :) I think we’ll just have to agree to disagree on the awesomeness of this game ^^

38. VoidTester

Hi. I am not here to cause drama. But…

Diablo 3 was said to have been pushed back, from last months of 2011 to early 2012. Their main argument being the game needs more polish.

3 hours later Valve decided DotA should not be pushed to early 2012 and they made an excuse similar to “actually our plan to make the beta so long didn’t turn out quite right. Instead we’re launching at the end of 2011. Rejoice”.

The next day SW:TOR suddenly decides “you know what guys, here is a date, Dec 20″. Fan speculation on D3 pointed out to that _exact_ same date.

Now, I play a lot of games from companies including Blizzard, BioWare, Valve and many, many others. But a guy needs to stop and think for a moment. Because to me… it kinda sounds like Blizzard is pretty much controlling the market here haha. :D

39. Talkar

#38
    I don’t think it has anything to do with it. Bioware has been saying for months before blizz that SWToR would come out in holiday 2011. Also, i don’t see why Diablo 3 would be a threat to SWToR or Dota 2, none of them are in the same genre x)

40. Fin

Not sure how I feel about this, but I’ll give the beta a try.

Probably play for 500 hours.

41. VoidTester

@Talkar

Not sure why you say “none of them are in the same genre” when it’s all the same people playing these games. I’d understand if one was a racing game and the other a turn-based strategy game. But the point in all 3 is to kill stuff in an action RPG mode and gather loot and/or increase your level.

The lines have been blurred quite a while ago.

42. GrimRita

@37 oh yes :-p

I think the first 30 days, like with any MMO will be the make or break for this game. Not so much for the diehard fans, for those wanting something erm, ‘different’.

@38. I kind of agree to some extent. As I posted much earlier, its funny how all of a sudden the game is ‘ready’ when Eric Brown said that it was ‘possible’ the game could slip to 2012, prior to that, the massive screw up for beta testing in Europe for the new build of the game.

So without testing it, this new build is perfect?! The dark side of the force clouds everything.

43. Erthazus

@42, i’m not sure that by buying the game you can play 30 days.

Sure it’s in the package, but you can play the game and use these free 30 days if you will pay for the first month.

At least this is how it works with World Of Warcraft. when you buy WOW you get 30 days for free if only you will pay for the first month = 1 month + Free 30 days.

44. GrimRita

30 days of game time comes with the game when you buy it. History shows that for many people, this is the period when they decide IF they should fork out for 30 days of game time out of their own pocket.

If players dont like the game, they wont pay for the next 30 days, thus seeing a decrease in the player base. I did the same thing with WAR.

45. Erthazus

I know about that, what i said is that you can’t ACTIVATE these 30 days until you will pay for the first month.

30 days will just count as a free second month.

46. GrimRita

since when? Ive never come across that before. I know some want you to enter credit card details prior to playing but you can cancel that straight away. Is this what you mean?

47. Erthazus

No, i mean that until you will pay for the first month you can’t use these free 30 days.

for me that was the experience with WOW. When i first bought it i could not use free 30 days until i paid for the first month.
    After i paid for 1 month they included free 30 days.

48. Talkar

#47
    I can activate my 30 days of WoW before paying for more. I haven’t done it yet on the account i got from Blizz, since, well, it’s WoW, but i am certain i can activate it whenever i want.

49. DarkElfa

@47, Ha! From the comments preview on the first page, all I saw was “No, i mean that until you will pay for the first month you c” and I thought Erthazus called him a cunt, as in “No, i mean that until you will pay for the first month you cunt.”

Never judge a comment by the preview.

50. Erthazus

@49, LOL :D

@48, than maybe i did something wrong in the first place. But i could not activate it until i paid for one month.

51. Talkar

#50
    I dunno, it could have changed. The account Blizz gave me was back in january for playing StarCraft 2, (i know, weird reward), so it is very possible it is a different system from what it was years ago x)

52. Phoenixblight

Its still the same system. You buy the game you get 30 days off there is no forcing of buying a month of service. I helped a friend on the game 4 months ago as he was researching what was the draw of them game and he had buy the battle chest of the game and received 30 days off.

53. DSB

Is this good or bad?

It looks to me like they’re desperate to hit the xmas market. I hope they haven’t sacrificed the final polish for it. That’s never going to be a smart trade for an MMO.

54. Phoenixblight

They had mentioned in investment calls and interviews that they were aiming for Holiday 2011 well that would definitely be Holiday 2011. You are just a cynic about every single thing.

55. Talkar

#53
    If they are as desperate as you are saying they are (which they shouldn’t be with setting preorder records and everything), why would they choose the 22nd as a release date instead of the beginning of december?

56. viralshag

It’s so sad that people just want this to fail. And I don’t think that’s an unfair comment to make. Normally they will come back with the “oh, just because I have a different opinion” and I would accept that but people are just making pointless comments with no explanation.

“They have copied the WoW formula.” – No, they have copied the MMO formula. An MMO with an action bar! Say it isn’t so!

“They haven’t brought anything new.” – So apart from story, interactive story at that, in depth companions and potentially good or bad space combat, what more do you want? What else do you expect from a “new innovative MMO?”

“It looks bad!” – No it doesn’t, having seen it up close on a screen it actually looks pretty great. Going the more “realistic” route will leave the game looking outdated in no less than 2-4 years, if that. Not to mention the fact that with their chosen art style, it will be much easier to create bright and colourful visuals. Rift, as good as it is, looks pretty bland and that’s the other option to compare it with.