Quick Quotes: EA’s Jeff Brown responds to Eric Hirshberg’s gamescom keynote

Friday, 19th August 2011 20:36 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

“Welcome to the big leagues Eric. I know you’re new in the job but someone should have told you this is an competitive industry. You’ve got every reason to be nervous. Last year Activision had a 90 share in the shooter category. This year, Battlefield 3 is going to take you down to 60 or 70. At that rate, you’ll be out of the category in 2-3 years. If you don’t believe me, go to the store and try to buy a copy of Guitar Hero or Tony Hawk.” – Jeff Brown, EA corporate communications man to IndustryGamers regarding Activision CEO Eric Hirshberg’s gamescom keynote.

1. Erthazus

2. OrbitMonkey

Guys Jerry springer called, he wants you both on his show…

3. Phoenixblight

THis is just trash talikg every competive industry does the same thing even MS vs Apple. We’ll just have to see if Jeff is right.

4. GrimRita

Bf3 will sell ok as its out b4 CoD. But then thanks to the retailers trade in deals, what the BF3 market share drop like EA shares price!

5. Maximum Payne

That is really childish similar how Crytek was talking how Crysis 2 will be second coming of Jesus….

6. Phoenixblight

Hahah Link? That’s just really bizarre.

7. Fin

Note to self:
    Jeff Brown is a class A dick

8. Maximum Payne

@6 Well they talked shit all the time:PC will be benchmark years to come,support 8 core cpu,we maxed out both 360 and ps3,its choreographed sandbox(what ever that mean),best story in FPS,we are going to surpass the original Crysis….And also: ”The studio also reckons Crysis 2 offers a “complete gaming experience like no other”. Crytek boss Cevat Yerli has claimed that the enemy AI in Crysis 2 is the most sophisticated in video game history.”

9. Phoenixblight

“choreographed sandbox(what ever that mean)….”

Meaning its not as open as the original, that the enemies are heavily scripted, That you can only do what you want within the abilities they give you unlike the original.

10. Maximum Payne

@9 Oh really ? :DD But you see my point :)

11. Phoenixblight

Yeah its all talk like I said this type of trash talking is just talk until the game is released and it rings true that they are dipping into COD Market share like Brown is talking about. I dunno lots of my friends that like COD are also getting BF3 so I doubt what Brown thinks will ring true.

12. DSB

Wow, talk about taking the low road.

@7 Which is the only reaction generated by statements like that. For whatever reason, once some people reach a certain paygrade, or sink into the executive identity, they think they can act like the biggest idiot without losing any measure of respect.

Reality outside the highrise works a bit differently. Thankfully.

@5 Yeah, I thought Crytek set the benchmark for cunts in the industry, but I believe we have a new champion.

13. G1GAHURTZ

How pathetic.

14. Freek

There is nothing funnier then trash talking execs*, especially when they start to one up each other in ever more silly statements. It’s fantastic.

*might be a slight exaduration

15. Gekidami

It’ll be interesting to see what happens when MW3 steam rolls over BF3′s sales. Even Jeff Brown admits that he thinks Acti will still own most of the market after BF3 comes out and it’ll take years to reduce it even more (probably meaning years of more BF games, its already a yearly franchise, after all)

I wonder if Acti will comment on how much more MW3 sold compared to BF3? …Nah, i doubt it, Acti have proven they’re the better man in this affair. It doesnt look like they’re going to start acting like 10 year olds, like EA is doing.

I will give EA some credit though, they know exactly who BF3 will sell the best to; The douchebag PC elitists who hate CoD.

16. Nissanthen

@Gekidami

So am I “douchebag PC elitists” because:

A. I am PC gamer.
    B. I do not really like the COD series (I only bought WAW and BLOPS for the Zombie modes, which are the only parts that I enjoy).
    C. I love the BF series?

Why don’t we just leave all the mudslinging to the PR heads instead?

17. Bringit

EA is increasingly coming across as a great tosser. I hope Battlefield 3 burns.

18. Gekidami

Depends on the rest of your attitude. Nowhere did i say just ‘preferring’ BF over CoD, and ‘preferring’ to play on PC instantly puts you in that category. But you cant deny EA are specifically aiming to play that angle and build on the gamers that buy into it the most as much as possible. EA arent saying this stuff because their execs are just fedup with CoD, they’re saying it because they want the whiny CoD haters to relate to them.

19. HauntaVirus

You tell em’ Jeff! um, ya……………………….

20. OrbitMonkey

Let’s face it this whole charade is marketing as a few peeps here have pointed out. It’s ironic that EA have made it clear that they’ll be following the COD pattern of a yearly release, which many COD detractors criticize….

As a console owner i’m still waiting for some proper footage of BF3 on the 360/ps3 :/

21. Gekidami

^ What do you call ‘proper’? A fair bit of PS3 footage has already been shown.

22. Nissanthen

My bad then, I just read it that way.

I am not buying into this COD vs. BF PR fluff, it reflects badly on both companies. I am actually finding this whole debate unnecessary, they are both very different games and there going to be loads of people that are going to buy both games.

What I like about the BF is the emphasis on team work. It provides a very dynamic experience. BF3 is a day one purchase for me.

The horde mode in MW3 sounds good, so I might end up getting MW3 at some later point.

23. OrbitMonkey

@Gekidami, Have you got a link for that? I thought all the console footage was mixed in with pc footage? I’d like a 3 min playthrough of solely console footage or something.

24. Gekidami

^
    Co-Op from GC:
    (A fair bit on compression in that vid)

And the Jimmy Falon demo:

25. endgame

well at least the man is right. :))

26. OrbitMonkey

@Gekidami, Cheers that co-op demo looked very nice… Think I’ll be talking a few of my COD dude/bro’s into picking this up :)