Twisted Metal delayed into early 2012

Friday, 5th August 2011 16:24 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

David Jaffe has announced on the PS Blog that Twisted Metal will miss it’s October release, and has been delayed to early 2012.

Originally slated for an October 4 release, Jaffe said the game is “just not ready yet,” and Eat, Sleep, Play needs extra time to “polish our demented baby until it shines.”

“It sucks bad when games miss their announced launch dates,” he said. “We’re gamers too and we know how annoying it is. It’s disappointing and frustrating and it really takes the wind out of your sails if you’re a fan that has been looking forward to playing a title for a long time. Thing is, you gotta trust me when I tell you that – with this extra time for tuning and polish – the game is going to be so much better than it already is. And if you played Twisted Metal and liked it at E3 or Comic-Con, or if you get to play it (and you enjoy it) at one of the August shows, just imagine how much more fun the final game will be with some extra time, polish, and love.

“With Twisted Metal we plan to ship a multiplayer classic. We plan to ship the best Twisted Metal ever made. We plan to convert a lot of folks who think vehicle combat is a relic best left to 90′s nostalgia. And we plan to explode the belief that the only relevant kind of shooter is a first person one. Most importantly, we plan on treating you – the kind folks who play our game (and pay our bills) – like the VIPs that you are. You only deserve our best and we appreciate your understanding as we take a little more time to guarantee that our best is what we deliver.”

Jaffe went on to say that the development team is currently working to get a playable build of Twisted Metal ready for both gamescom and PAX Prime attendees to get their hands on.

Twisted Metal for PS3 will ship early 2012.

1. Razor

See, now this is how you delay a game. <3 Jaffe

2. Zarckan

What a fucking shame

/shitgame

3. HeavyD-Love

Agreed #1. THIS is how you announce a delayed game. Kudos Jaffe. I’m all for making the game the best it can be. Still a day one purchase for me due to my fond love and memories of the original.

4. Sini

<3 sony

5. Kuwabara

Smart move. i think its intentional, considering resistance 3 coming out in september, uncharted 3 early november, batman october.

6. threadzilla

@5 I was thinking the same thing. There were way to many high profile releases that I was going to have to skip this but now it looks like it is good to go.

7. HauntaVirus

At least he cares about the fans and explains whats up. No worries.

8. Ireland Michael

“We plan to convert a lot of folks who think vehicle combat is a relic best left to 90′s nostalgia.”

Vehicle combat games *are* a relic best left to 90′s nostalgia.

The game looks utterly atrocious on every level, and I doubt any amount of delaying will save it.

9. Clupula

Was looking forward to this, but if it makes it a better game, I’m all for a delay.

10. Psychotext

I’ve seen absolutely nothing on this that makes me want it… and somehow I really doubt that’ll change.

This was delayed to get it the hell away from the end of this year where it would have been crushed utterly. Jaffe’s just making the best of a bad situation (and fair play to him, so would I).

11. kinny999

6/10 all day long.

12. Kuwabara

Cant stand these fucking xbots. All u haters of this game,piss off!

13. Ireland Michael

@12 Sure, give a second. I need to finish up this level on LittleBigPlanet 2…

Believe it or not, someone can support a format without having to religiously praise every single game on it. The game looks garbage, simple as.

14. Christopher Jack

@Michael, nice to see you back on here, but I still think that Twisted Metal will be worth at the very least a rental from what I’ve seen. Guess we’ll have to wait for the reviews.

15. Ireland Michael

@14 I’m posting on and off, but I definitely wouldn’t say I’m “back”. Too busy.

16. Kuwabara

At michael, i think lbp2 is good, but my gf thinks its for babies, she’d rather play kz3 all the time. Guess everyone has their own tastes, but to not think twisted metal is great and epitomises fun, knowing how good the first were, there is something wrong with you. Let me guess, you were scared of clowns and toothface brings back bad memories.