2K confirms Borderlands 2 for release within FY2013

Wednesday, 3rd August 2011 13:05 GMT By Johnny Cullen

2K’s formally announced, after yonks and donkeys of rumour and speculation, that Borderlands 2 is a real thing. Yes it is.

The game, which is on the front cover of the next issue of Game Informer, will be at gamescom in a week-and-a-half, as well as PAX Prime in Seattle.

Being developed by Gearbox – who else -BL2 will have new skills, characters, enemies, weapons, environments and equipment. It’s out in Take Two’s FY2013 for PS3, 360 and PC. Here’s the official website.

It comes as Eurogamer published a report yesterday citing a reveal was about to happen. Indeed it has.

1. Blerk

HELL YEAH!

2. KAP

To this day i still havent played the first game.. just looks like a frag fest and loot game without any substance

3. mickey2002

HELL YEAH! =D

I just hope they make hunting for loot worth it (like now I’m max level in bl1 and like there is no point in opening any chests as nothing will even come close to my loadout not even match it, and pearl weapons only in dlc3 content so it’s just craw and thats it, I never bother opening any chests anymore which is what I enjoyed and got all kiddy about when used to find one, all high levels should get what I’m on with. And they could fix that with patches to improve the whole loot but didn’t meh so hope they didn’t as working on better lootness on the new one =)

4. Erthazus

@2, thats exactly how it is and thats where the problem is.

5. Erthazus

They need to improve the game.. make it more then loot fest without any substance.

first game had this problem and it was a boring fest with numbers.

They need decent quests… Decent storyline? Probably not… But they need a lot of stuff to add and it’s hard to be honest.

I like Diablo-stylish games… but diablo is FUN, this? Is not.

6. Lewis247

HELL to the fucking YES! First time I played this was co-op with my cousin a few years back and damn I was hooked ever since. Sure, I ain’t going to lie it did get a bit boring and tedious after so long but the whole way the game presents itself it outstanding. The gameplay is excellent, the guns, the characters. Just love it all.

I don’t think it will be hard though for them to improve over the original. The know from years of fan feedback what needs to go in and what needs to be taken out.

Can’t fucking wait for more info!

7. Telepathic.Geometry

Sweeeeeeeeetah.

8. Anders

Fuck yeah! Loved the first one.

9. someguy2

http://twitter.com/#!/DuvalMagic/status/98529291117133824 What was that Randy?

10. The_Red

Hopefully this one will have an actual ending, instead of the worst game closure video / sequence of all time.

11. M. K.

Yay \o/

12. drewbles82

keep the co-op and add split screen system link and i will be happy.

13. Johnny Cullen

I’ve fixed the headline a bit. In my excitement, I said the release was 2012. It’s actually within FY2013 (which technically means it could still release in calendar 2012 or it could get pushed into the first three months of 2013).

14. Patrick Garratt

Thumbs, +1, etc.

15. drewbles82

If 2013, think id rather them leave it and bring it out on the next xbox since thats prob out holiday 2013. By the time the GOTY edition comes out people will be buying the new xbox.
    That way it could probably be a lot better.

16. Johnny Cullen

Also, just a small note: we’re now booked in to see this in Germany. PUMPED TO THE MAX.

17. Blerk

Hurrah! Also, I hate you. You bastard. ;-)

18. freedoms_stain

Hellz YEAH!

Borderlands is a rough diamond. There are so many things in it that can be improved, but it’s still really fun, especially with friends.

They don’t need to tweak much to make Borderlands 2 a 9 out of 10.

19. Dralen

I might be a minority, but I have now tried to play this game twice and I still can’t stand it.
    The first time I got it was on release and I traded it in shortly after. The second time was on a steam sale; I thought I would give it another go because everyone said it was sooo amazing. But unfortunately, I really just don’t like it, sorry to any fans out there.

20. Christopher Jack

Hope for much more customization, the one main thing lacking from the original in my opinion. Having only changeable colours doesn’t count >:(

21. YoungZer0

@19: Played it in Coop? … Gotta admit that didn’t help either. The game had little substance, few memorable characters, uninteresting quests and the story pretty much didn’t exist.

22. DSB

It’s not hard to see why it wouldn’t be peoples cup of tea, but really the most damning part of it was the slow start. I was pretty bored until the game got going and the loot started coming, and that took at least an hour or more.

They definitely should look into expanding the possibilities of the coop. Instead of shooting at everything on your own you were shooting at everything with your friends, with a few buffs and the soldiers heal as the only major difference.

That being said, I thought the core mechanics were solid, I enjoyed shooting things, the weapons offered great variety, and Gearbox has a lot of tactics-oriented games under their belt, so I have faith.

23. Crab of Thunder

The first game wasn’t a master piece in any respect, though it was good, solid fun, twofold when you add co-op. The reason most people are excited is that with the right tweaks and additions, it could be an incredible game.

Stuff like varied quests, different loot types, better story, customisation etc.

High hopes indeed. :)

24. YoungZer0

And they definitely should do a Third Person Mode and allow for character-customization.

25. ejams

YYEEESSS!!!! CANT FUCKING WAIT!

26. LOLshock94

2013 surely the next xbox will be out then

27. Phoenixblight

Microsoft has said time and time again 2014 is their aim for the next claim but somehow people read between the lines and thing 2012 or 2013. Even developers like TOdd Howard says we have few more years left.

28. LOLshock94

thats what you think wor ked

29. Moonwalker1982

Daaaaamn, so no 2012 release then :(

30. DSB

Take Two’s fiscal year 2013 starts on April 1st 2012, so there’s at least a chance that it will be next year.