DICE details new dynamic dog tag system for Battlefield 3

Saturday, 30th July 2011 14:05 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

DICE has posted over on the Battlelog blog information pertaining to the game’s new dog tag system, which allows players to choose an initial design based on an in-game stat that will be tracked dynamically in the game.

Dog tags, which were first introduced in Battlefield 2142, are basically a bragging tool and this will be even more obvious in BF3, especially now that DICE has added “extra weight” to these “calling cards”.

“Dog tags in Battlefield 3 go beyond just having your name on them,” explained Alan Kertz, senior multiplayer designer. “We have hundreds of dog tags that can be your personal calling card. Every time you kill an enemy, they see your tags. It’s your calling card – it’s your place to brag, and dynamic tags can show off how great you are with a knife, a jet, or even show off your personal play style.”

The only way to get a dog tag from from an enemy in the game is by performing one of the new knife takedowns which has you sneaking up from behind and performing a stealth kill.

DICE said that thanks to the ANT animation system, these special moves “add a dynamic visual flair,” and encourage players to get in close for stealth kills.

“[It] makes bringing a knife to a gun fight the risky but rewarding experience it was always meant to be,” said Kertz.

You can catch a glimpse of one of these stealth kills in the Paris multiplayer video released last week.

Battlefield 3 is out in October, and the beta starts in September.

1. DSB

I wonder where they got that idea!

2. G1GAHURTZ

WHAT A RIP OFF!!!

Will they EVER stop!!?

3. Ireland Michael

Because Call of Duty totally invented the whole tags and emblems idea, amirite?

*rolls eyes*

4. G1GAHURTZ

Oh no, not him again!

I thought you had no reason to be here, since tea’s clearly not coming back any more…

5. Erthazus

Oh lol. Someone never played Battlefield 2142.. oh dear, oh dear.
    Call Of Duty noobs.

@G1GACallOfDutytroll,

“WHAT A RIP OFF!!!

Will they EVER stop!!?”

Ripping off their own idea with dog tags?

6. NeoSquall

I’m pretty sure you can’t brag the shock paddles tag in CoD.

7. DSB

@6 Why would you want to? Be a man and die every once in a while :P

Nanny game mechanics are no good. Fair enough in a Lego game where you don’t want kids to be too sad every time they lose, but otherwise, no.

8. freedoms_stain

@7, I thought he meant kills via paddle.

9. G1GAHURTZ

Watch this space!

Next for BF3: Care packages!

You read it here first…

10. DSB

@8 Fair enough. I can respect that.

I wish developers would get past those kinds of cheap fixes though. Medics are long overdue for a serious overhaul, certainly not just in Battlefield.

11. Peetry

What we’re not liking Medics now? IMO they are essential in Battlefield

12. DSB

Which is exactly the problem. If you give people the ability to simply tag someone to bring them back to life, that’s an incredibly poorly balanced solution. Medic trains in BC2 being case and point.

And there’s a million other ways to go about it, most of which are both more realistic, and require actual teamwork. Time penalties, advanced aid stations for respawns, reinforcement air drops, dragging people to safety, or simply smarter respawn mechanics, to name a few.

Certainly the current solution that’s featured in most games has nothing to do with teamwork. It’s just a solo guy running out to tag someone, and claiming 100 points in the process. If he actually had to risk something by doing it, he’d need someone to cover him, forcing actual teamwork.

13. Erthazus

@11, they are still there, just mixed with assault class which i think for “4″ class game is ok.

14. freedoms_stain

@10, to be fair they have tweaked medics, reviving takes longer and the medic can be killed while reviving, also the revivee can choose to accept or deny the revival. It’s also not guaranteed points, so paddle jockeys won’t be coming top of the scoreboard any more without doing anything of actual worth.

@12, yeah, most of that shit has been fixed in BF3 imo.

15. DSB

@14 Well, that’s comforting.

Accept/Deny is nothing new, but people pretty much never choose the latter.

I haven’t played Battlefield 3, how does it work now?

I think the idea of medics is fine, but the role they’re often given in these types of games is all wrong. Every military speculates in ways to incapacitate eachother, rather than kill, in order to tie down more men to aid the wounded. I’d love to see something representative of that in a game, short of simply finding a better way of bringing soldiers up the field, which is something that Battlefield has always struggled with.

16. stretch215

I’m with dsb on this one. The insta-revive needs to go. Eith,er put a timer on the revive, make them revive with low health so they need a medkit, or something. I just think it would improve the experience. Edit: already been said.

17. freedoms_stain

@15, well, kills are now “Enemy Down” for one thing, once downed medics have 15 seconds to start a revival (the respawn timer basically), they still use shock paddles but the animation now requires multiple shocks (takes a few seconds vs instant), and unlike BC2 medics can be damaged during the animation. Once shocked you’re equipped with your pistol lying prone, you press space to fully accept the revive and stand up, and something else to deny and respawn(never actually denied a revive, but then I’ve only been revived a handful of times).

I think it will work a lot better in the full game, medic trains won’t work in BF3, most players on the Alpha are shit though, so you don’t get much reviving.

18. DSB

@17 That definitely sounds like an improvement.

So then how many shots does it take to get a guy down with a standard assault rifle at the moment?

19. freedoms_stain

@18, I can’t say for sure but the damage model is upped from BC2 vanilla, it’s very close to BC2 Hardcore or Vietnam. Probably ~5 shots atm.

Personally I think their damage model and gun handling needs tweaked. The damage is relatively high and the accuracy of the guns all seem very very high, spread and recoil is low, which I’m not too happy about.

20. Maximum Payne

I only hate in BC2 when start shooting at guy who is being revived and he have invincibility, that is just stupid.But if that is not present in BF3 that is good news.
    @19 Yea agree.I only watch on youtybe but game looked more like cod/moh in term of recoil/damage rather then BF

21. DSB

I’ll take accurate weapons any day. Aside from being closer to reality, it puts the burden of error squarely on the player. The more it’s about reflexes and accuracy, the better. I’m all for making it as comfortable as possible for newer players, but making duels random thanks to dispersion is just ridiculous.

It got pretty silly in BC2. Not only did you have soldiers who couldn’t go prone, but they were running around with light machineguns that they obviously couldn’t handle.

Personally I don’t think weapon damage should ever go below 3/10 unless you’re talking a special or extremely rapid fire weapon. Three or four shots on target should be good enough.

22. GrimRita

I’d rather them focus on making a game that is good to play and at least semi-bug free, instead of introducing stuff that will probably end up half broken, like most of the launch features in BC2

23. freedoms_stain

@21, they’ve put in a fire selector now but made burst fire more accurate than ever, you’ve gotta kinda wonder what the point in being able to fire semi-auto is if there isn’t an accuracy bonus over range in using it?

I would have thought keeping relatively *high* (in comparison) spread on full auto and burst fire so that a good shot firing semi-auto wins the ranged fight over the sprayer was a good idea.

24. Maximum Payne

@21 But that only encourage camping and stuff like” I can kill everyone…”" aka COD mentality.I think BC2 was just right you could average 1 or 2 people with one clip and that is if you are lucky.Because if you spent less bullet then you have bigger magazine left and less need for teamwork….

25. NeoSquall

And here we go with the medic-hate again.

Like the others said already, atm the Alpha is nothing like BC2, you won’t get an instant revive and both you and the revivee can be killed in the process.
    Moreover people in there aren’t actually giving a shit about reviving others, and that’s what I though would happen with the merge because it’s exactly what happened in 2142.

Aside that, it’s not entirely true that weapons are overly accurate, physics is still there and you still have to rely on it for long range firing/sniping.

26. DSB

@23 Burst fire was pretty accurate in BC2 as well, which is pretty silly. In terms of the AN-94, one of the reasons it was rejected as a standard rifle was that the 2-shot burst was too difficult to control for grunts.

To be fair, it’s completely hopeless to compare it to reality though. Ultimately you’d have to be in a very desperate situation to ruin your weapon by firing full-auto to the extent that a lot of people do in games. But you’re never going to teach people to do 5-round bursts within definite intervals, and you’re never going to realistically disable or randomly jam their weapons when they do, so you have to find a compromise.

Personally I find it silly that a trained soldier wouldn’t be able to control a relatively low calibre rifle. Most shots miss in warfare, but that’s mostly down to the skill of the soldier, the difficulty of the shot, and the conditions of combat. I guess dispersion might be a way of forcing the same sort of sensation, but I think that’s ultimately a paradox, because most soldiers will know how to shoot, and how to control a weapon when its fired.

On the side of gameplay, I prefer it to be down to how fast and precise you are.

@24 How does that make any kind of sense? You’re free to camp no matter how your weapon works, and if your weapon is inaccurate, then there’s arguably even more reason for you to improve your chances by hiding in a corner.

If I know I can rely on my reflexes and my accuracy, then I’ll take a lot more chances.

Ultimately all shooters revolve around killing the other team. The core of the game is never about logistics. The guy with the fastest reflexes, and the smartest moves should be the one to come out on top. It shouldn’t be based on luck.

27. Lounds

“by performing one of the new knife takedowns which has you sneaking up from behind and performing a stealth kill.”

Brutel melee – KZ3 anyone.

28. freedoms_stain

@26, it has to be said, your average BF3 Alpha match ends on the 1st base because it is literally a massive camp fest.

It’s really hard to even stand up on Operation Metro, because someone will Q spam you and half their team will blast your way, which results in A LOT of “instant” seeming deaths, when in reality you actually got hit by 8 guys at once.

I don’t buy the argument from the high damage camp that it requires more skill or it’s all about the reflexes in accuracy, if it only takes a handful of bullets from a fully automatic weapon to kill in an online shooter then it’s all about the ping.

One of the best BC2 players I know has a shitty connection, but he wins most of his cqc’s anyway because most people spray down and he goes for the head, so despite the lag disadvantage, he’s one of the best players in the world because he is a damn good shot. In BF3 that will not count for as much.

29. DSB

@28 Sounds like it’s down to the map.

Ping is the oldest excuse in the book. The only real setting where it’s relevant is in pro graming. Even without a LAN connection, the best guy will come out on top the vast majority of the time. By increasing the spread, all you’re doing is randomizing the path of every shot, so even a slower or less accurate guy gets a chance as well.

It’s very rarely going to be about the ping, unless you suppose that you have common occurences of two individuals who are exactly identical in every biological way, moving in an exactly identical way, with exactly identical response times in every aspect, from perception to coordination.

All of which will almost never happen. Most people play the game differently.

A guy with a genuinely bad ping is just as likely to get slaughtered in BC2 as in any other game. That isn’t to say that reflexes dexterity is all that matters, you obviously have to use your head to play the map better than everybody else, as well.

High or low damage is of no consequence, except for time. If you have to be shot 5 times, then you have a far greater chance of taking cover, especially with a lower accuracy weapon.

30. noherczeg

I’m gonna love this (its platina on BC2 already :D)

31. GrimRita

Someone already has a wall hack. wiped us all out from nowhere. And, the hitboxes are still poor. Yes its Alpha but crap hitboxes are a trademark of frostshite.

32. jacobvandy

Lol @ complaining about gameplay in the BF3 Alpha, a REALLY old build they handed out solely to test server code.

33. GrimRita

try actually READING what I said….

34. stretch215

Can anyone confirm if hardcore mode is coming back? I really only play hardcore b/c it takes too many shots in regular modes.

35. GrimRita

dont know yet, but I am still waiting to see what stuff is carried over from Battlefield. right now, it seems like an upgraded Bad Company 3

36. Ireland Michael

@4 I’ve been busy raising my family.

We have been without running water and internet in our house for nearly three months now, thanks to rampant flooding in Illinois. My life does not revolve around TEA, believe it or not.

Quit being a jerk for the hell of it. It just makes you look like you’re deliberately trying to be an asshole, which is just sad.

Like some of us have said, this is not something Call of Duty invented.

37. G1GAHURTZ

Sorry to hear about your house, Michael.

38. jldoom

I’ve taken a break from shooters for a while now, did not even bother to pick up Black ops after going prestige in MW2 4x in a row…But for some reason I’m curious to see how this one will work. The medic problem was something I noticed the first day playing BC2, it was the QUICKEST way to rank up, ASAP.

I remember looking at my score and going wtf? All I did was revive people! lol

39. LOLshock94

@39 on bf3 the assault class will be over powered

40. freedoms_stain

In BF3 Assault/medic only get Revive points if the revivee accepts the revive and doesn’t die instantly after. Basically killed the medic as a point whore kit = Good.