Treyarch designers “weren’t always good” at multiplayer maps

Friday, 1st July 2011 02:55 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The Annihilation map pack represents Treyarch’s growing skills as level designers, David Vonderhaar has said.

“We’re very concerned about pathing through the map. You want to make sure players can navigate the map in a consistent fashion. You want your main paths, to say, be wider than your flanking paths – tell a vocabulary in a visual story there,” the Black Ops design director told Gamefront.

“And what we’ve learned over time is that we weren’t always good at that.

“[But] we’ve gotten better at that and it’s become just part of our D.N.A. … So you’re seeing in the map packs this evolution of our thinking, and Annihilation represents exactly what we’re talking about here. … I think anything Treyarch does long-term will be more cognizant of it.”

Annihilation is the third map pack for Call of Duty: Black Ops, and is available now on Xbox Live, with other platforms to follow.

1. IL DUCE

Not trying to be a dick…but I’m sorry to tell you Treyarch, that you are still not good at making multiplayer maps…

2. Gekidami

^ Wrong, the maps in Blops are awesome, a part from Nuke Town. Fuck Nuke Town.

The DLC maps are especially good.

3. UuBuU

A lot of the maps in World at War were really awesome. Much better than the awful AWFUL maps in MW2.

4. Old MacDonald

They were never very good at making single player maps either.

5. endgame

what DUCE said. :)

6. polygem

most of the iw mw2 maps were absolutely horrible.i liked some of the w@w maps a lot. some are my favorite of all cod games. i agree that there are a lot of great maps in blops. some are shit, but very few (havanna is shit but array and summit for example are supergood)…still all in all i´d say iw´s cod 4 is the winner. these maps are classic.

7. MadFingerz

Didn’t play much of w@w, but I can’t recall any particular map I liked. Most of the ones in MW2 were just ridiculous. Still can’t understand why they picked the worst COD2 map and retextured it…Talking about COD2, some maps from it were actually good.

Still, I would say that to this day my favorite FPS map is Malta from MOH:AA Spearhead.

8. UuBuU

@7 – You are joking, right? That’s the worst map in MOHAAS.

Best maps of all time are: The Hunt, V2 Rocket Facility, St Lo, and The Bridge.

9. MadFingerz

Honestly I only played the multiplayer demo of MOHAAS xD. But Malta was miles better than the submarine map also present on the demo. And I think it was the first time I played a multiplayer FPS. Also, it was pretty much the only thing I played online for over 2 years. Malta holds a special place in my heart. When EA finally closed the servers, a bit of me died :(

10. G1GAHURTZ

IW make the best CoD maps, but they also made some of the ones that I hate the most, like Estate and Fuel. Having said that, I think they only came up with those under pressure from people who want larger maps and not because there was a need.

It’s also telling that Treyarch are still trying to get to the level that IW were at years ago.

11. DSB

Treyarch maps don’t really work. I don’t know if it’s the spawning system, or whether they just don’t lead people the way they should, but far too often it just ends up as a clusterfuck. It was the same in WaW, but with more people to fill it out.

@10 I didn’t enjoy the DLC maps in general, I consider them West and Zampellas revenge from beyond the grave. Estate does have some flaws (like usually being able to take a shot at the guys down low at the very beginning) but it also leads to some epic sieges.

12. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, the MW2 DLC was definitely a mixed bag…

Here’s why I hate Estate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qhxehg51aM

13. UuBuU

@9 – Only the demo? You missed out. I played that game solidly for over 5 years. In fact I was just playing it this morning.

14. DSB

@12 I think it’s less crap in TDM. Instead of having everybody in a free for all running in there, you have a team occupying it and the rest trying to take them out.

It does completely drain people of initiative though. Sometimes they just give up and stay down below, and that’s really when you lose, because it’s far easier to hide up top. Same mistake they made with Creek in CoD4, if you started down below you usually didn’t stand a chance if the other team were even average players.

I hate the AK-47 too. And the F2000. I always wanted to get good at playing the 2000, but it’s so ridiculously hard.

At least that makes it easy to press “Prestige” :P

15. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, it’s at it’s worst in Demolition.

Trying to get the bomb in the house can be ridiculous at times. It’s times like these that you really need good teamwork and communication, though, so it does feel good to win on it sometimes.

16. DSB

Which is really why I hope they don’t try to be “everything to everybody” and do a reverse EA, where they start adding too invasive team elements.

Working together is all well and good, but losing because the guys on your team don’t grasp the concept is not fun at all.

Capture the flag is often a real pain too, but every once in a while it’s also a huge rush. I had a great game on Scrapyard once, where the opposite team (a clan) managed to score the only cap, in something like the last 5 seconds. I was laughing my ass off, even though I lost.

17. OrbitMonkey

I’m not gonna argue about what’s the best map, I’ve had good/bad games on them all :)

But I will say Treyarch maps hammer home the message to “check those corners!”. And theirs a lot of fucking corners ;)

18. Lounds

MW2 had good maps, Quarry, Afghan, Rooftops, Favella, tbh anyone who didnt like the maps, probably plays TDM or other shity repawn game modes, S&D ftw imo.

19. DSB

SnD is great, but Hardcore TDM is nothing to scoff at. You can lose a game for your entire team very fast if you aren’t careful.

That’s actually how I got good at regular TDM. Once you play Hardcore for a while, you really don’t die a lot in the regular mode.

20. YoungZer0

Gotta agree with #1 here. Treyarch still needs to work on their maps. Never had as much fun with them as with any from MW2.

21. G1GAHURTZ

That’s one of the biggest selling points of CoD. So many different game types that take so many different strategies can be played in so many different ways.

From FFA to Hardcore SnD, you’ve got players playing the same game who may never even play the same modes.

The fact that they get maps that work well (most of the time) in so many different game types is pretty amazing.