Black Ops becomes biggest-selling game ever in the UK

Tuesday, 28th June 2011 12:23 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Boom. Less than a year after its predecessor Modern Warfare 2 took over from Dr. Kawashima, Call of Duty: Black Ops has become the biggest-selling game in the UK ever.

Chart-Track’s announced that the Treyarch shooter has sold 3,722,411 units, just barely more than MW2 at 3,702,410 units.

The sales numbers are as of June 25.

“This is an outstanding achievement for the development team at Treyarch and the amazing Call of Duty community,” said Activision UK boss Andrew Brown.

It follows the release of the game’s third map pack, Annihilation, on Xbox Live earlier today.

Activision will be looking to do the same again around this time next year with the release of Infinity Ward-Sledehammer joint effort Modern Warfare 3 on November 8.

Thanks, MCV.

1. Yoshi

Looks like Acti needs a little more faith in Treyarch now.

*whispers* Rockstar… I know you’re listening… you know you wanna reclaim that top spot ;)

2. DSB

They should at least send Infinity Ward a case of beer for that one.

3. PsychoPCG

I feel sorry for UK or anywhere else with the same sales charts.

4. StolenGlory

Well I am inclined to believe that purely from a sales perspective, the game could/will sell insanely well on the brand alone regardless of who is developing the title.

In regards to the quality of the actual game, BLOPS’s isn’t a patch on MW2 from my perspective.

5. polygem

yea…but this really looks like the neverending story. mw3 will top even those incredible sales for sure. i think acti should give something back to their loyal customers, like making elite for free, giving us some dlc for free and stuff like that. it wont hurt them in any way. it would help actually to polish up their bad reputation. this wont happen though because they just don´t understand. anyway…i liked blops and w@w. mw3 will be good as well i believe. nothing new but good ol´ cod action. so what. cod4 is still my favorite though.

6. Johnny Cullen

I’m going to come out and say it: Black Ops was a better game than MW2.

Come at me.

7. DSB

@4 I think a lot of people bought Black Ops based on MW2, like myself, and it seems that a lot were equally disappointed by what they got.

At least on the PC, there are fewer and fewer people playing it, while more and more are going back to MW2. We can only guess as to the actual numbers on Xbox Live, but I’d guess they were relatively close.

Whether it’s a patch or an alternate take may differ to anyone, but to me it simply went against the basic design principles that made MW2 so much fun. While the Cold War setting and the promise from MW2 made me buy it, the game itself was too sloppy to keep me playing for much more than a couple of weeks.

I like the idea of the game modes and customization, though.

@5 Elite is free, you just don’t get the “premium” stuff for free.

@6 You can keep it, Johnny!

8. Razor

Sickening.

9. StolenGlory

I’m pretty much going along the same line of thinking as DSB here; the setting simply wasn’t as compelling as MW2 and most crucially, the MP balancing of weaponary that IW had worked so hard to achieve in MW2 was all but absent here.

10. AHA-Lambda

@6 – i agree

11. G1GAHURTZ

I agree that the SP of BO is completely pants. I’m struggling to force myself to play through it, only slightly less so than I had to with CoD3, and that was one of the worst SP games I’ve ever completed.

I’ve also never really been a fan of the zombie mode.

However, I do think that the MP for BO is the best CoD MP so far. I can’t speak for the PS3 or PC versions, which I haven’t played, but on 360, it (only just) beats MW2.

For me, MW2 was a strange game. At times, it was absolutely amazing. You could have some games and matches that were a pure adrenaline rush and the essence of what MP gaming is about.

But it had it’s handful of flaws. Those flaws, few as they were, could ruin the enjoyment completely at times.

BO, however, did it’s best to remove those flaws, while still keeping the standard formula. The added stats/customisations/modes and continual tweaks and patches also helped to push it above MW2, even though it might not be as good in some specific areas.

So basically, for me, if they we both scored in individual areas, MW2 would have a whole lot of 10′s, a few 9′s and one or possibly two 3′s. BO, would have straight 9′s across the board.

12. Erthazus

I agree with Johnny. I liked black Ops much more. It was much more refined in my opinion. Not a lot of innovation, but at least some kind of balance.

+ there were maps that in most cases i didn’t hated.

13. DSB

That’s an extremely adequate way of putting it G1GA. Kudos.

Those flaws were G18′s and shotgun lag, right?

I felt like the maps and the weapon design was a lot better in MW2, and that’s what matters to me. While everybody else is burying themselves in pointless stuff like parabolic ballistics and dispersion, that game actually let you hit what you shot within a genuine margin, which meant that the best guy always won.

I was very disappointed with the handling of the weapons in Black Ops, though. The maps sometimes had too many channels to really stage running battles, anybody could be anywhere in those mazes, and that makes it a lot harder to really play the maps and “get” the other team, which was my favourite thing to do in MW2. Just going around back and killing everybody.

14. LOLshock94

this game really deserves it treyach has put a shit load of stuff in that game

15. Dralen

I’m with DSB on this one as well.

16. G1GAHURTZ

@13:

The flaws? Yeah, the usual stuff. Shottys, Commando, Painkiller and nuke boosters…

I’m not too fussed about map design, though, as I’m a runner/gunner with Ninja, so I like to move around everywhere.

17. stretch215

Well the console crowd DEFINITELY chooses black Pops. I was recently playing mw2 due to one of my kids breaking my blops disc. 1) I fucking hate mw2 . Commando, silenced heavy mg’s? You can keep that bullshit. But the maximum people online playing was like 40k at the highest. I’ve never seen blops below 200k. Ever. Fuck modern warfare 2.

18. OrbitMonkey

The 2 best things Treyarch did was to stop killstreaks adding to killstreaks & remove the kill death ratio leaderboard. That plus the tweak to scavenger preventing claymore resupply and the rats nest maps, stop games turning into the campfest a lot of MW2 maps suffered from.

And I should know, cuz I was one of those noob tubing, danger close using claymore campers ;) *happy days*

19. DSB

I actually thought Black Ops was worse when it came to camping. There are so many crooked little avenues that are perfect for camping out in. And since everybody’s spread out everywhere, it’s very easy to be had like that at any given time. In MW2 I have a chance to predict where they’ll be within a certain probability.

I don’t give 2 cents for whining about K/D ratios, though. Personally I play to win. I like to kill a lot, and die little, and in the main game modes, that tends to be the object of the game.

20. OrbitMonkey

@19 Oh sure you still get the corner campers, I think you’ll always get *them* ;)

But the good/bad thing is theirs no real opportunity for 2 guys to set up in a room guarding the only entrance, as most places have multiple ways in & lines of fire.

Their’ll be even less chance of camping in MW3, with the promise of destructable environment. It’s *unique* features like this that keep COD on top ;)

21. IL DUCE

@1 every year they feed off the success of the previous year’s Infinity Ward CoD….Black Ops was nowhere near as good of a game as MW2…if it didn’t have zombies it would have nothing unique about it (even though how unique are zombies these days) and just be another mediocre shooter, which it is…

Plus its pointless reporting this, every year the next CoD will overtake the previous CoD until they eventually crumble, or until they f*ck up and make CoD: Space/Future Warfare featuring space marines!!!

@5 Money hungry profit obsessed whores usually don’t just give things away there buddy…don’t hold your breath waiting to get something that’s really “free” from Activision…

@Johnny you’re taking a few too many methods from EG saying crazy shit for shock value…graphics were nowhere near the high fidelity of MW2, it still looks WAAAY better…Black Ops playtime: maybe two weeks on and off and got sompletely bored with it MW2: almost a year before I got bored and actually recently started playing it every day again…the map layouts on Black Ops are abysmal, the story was convoluted and ridiculous, zombies was SOS, and multi just got straight up boring, guns were nowhere near as good as MW2 and CoD points kind of took the fun out of ranking up to get a certain gun or perk…

22. Yoshi

@4 Same, I’ve no doubt it sells like cookies from a 19 year old girl in a short skirt because of its name but Acti used to have way more faith in IW than Treyarch as they used to be the more loved and Treyarch used to be more hated, now Treyarch has proven they can actually create a decent and a half game (even though it’s nothing new really)

23. spiderLAW

MW2>BOps in gameplay
    BOps>MW2 in content/things to do

24. DSB

@20 Actually I think that’s mostly because the BlOps levels tend to be bigger, or at least seem bigger because of all those pathways. In most MW2 maps there are usually two or three places to group up, if you want to hold one side of the map, which means that people are more likely to join up, and set up in those positions, than if they’re faced with six or seven or even ten to choose from.

Like you say though, camping is just a part of the game. People do it all the time in actual combat as well, because it’ll give them the upperhand in the short term.

One thing’s for sure though, if you try to lock down those rooms on Underpass or Estate, which is where I’ve seen it happen, then I know exactly where to shoot in the corner of that building to take you out.

They’ll only get you once if they’re sitting pretty. Those walls aren’t bulletproof, and I love targets that don’t move :P

25. Gekidami

Hum, i’d say Blops has more refined gun play (which i prefer). Though overall the gameplay is pretty much the same in both.