ArmA III set on Mediterranean island, out 2012 for PC

Thursday, 19th May 2011 16:03 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Bohemia’s confirmed a 2012 release for ArmA 3, it’s super-realistic war sim, which is to be “set on an authentic Mediterranean island modeled from the real geographic data.”

The official site’s here.

ArmA III’s a PC exclusive and “will offer a unique sandbox-style combat gameplay experience in the most detailed environment of the series to-date.”

A single-player campaign will see you “evolve from a lone prey into a military commander” and allow you to control a “multitude” of aircraft, vehicles and ships.

You’ll be able to “shoot from anything from pistols to the sophisticated weapon platforms.” Sounds neat.

The game will allow you to “choose your uniform, assemble your weapon kit, change your loadout, get encumbered,” and will “take advantage of PhysX” tech.

Both co-op and competitive multiplayer will be included, “with full support of dedicated servers for both Windows and Linux.”

A mission editor will also feature.

Bohemia Interactive is the developer of the original Operation Flashpoint, and turned its attention to ArmA after Codemasters took over the IP.

Thanks, El_MUERkO.

1. Erthazus

Oh my god… Ok. So here you go… In 2012 i will upgrade my hardware completely.

2. loki

another PC’s trash incoming

3. Maximum Payne

Wow didn’t expect that! Wonder if it is going to use new engine ?
    And Erthazus you have 580 what do you posible need for new hardware?Also wonder how you don’t have monitor with 2560/1440 resolution…

4. YoungZer0

Hope they make it more accessible this time around. As much as i love ArmA II, they really need to work out a better interface.

5. Patrick Garratt

More detail there now. I’ll grab the shots.

6. Patrick Garratt

Screens there now. Looks lovely.

7. Erthazus

@3, better CPU probably. Arma games are CPU hungry :D

Engine looks the same and in my opinion you don’t need to freak out and make a new one. It’s alreay better then anything on the market. Why bother? I think they are going to add destruction similar to Battlefield 3.

Graphics are amazing and etc. I hope they will improve game editor. I love it since first Operation Flashpoint.

8. Maximum Payne

I don’t think they add destruction its hard to do and not needed for Arma.Someone said on forum that game is dx10 only?

9. YoungZer0

I don’t recognize the bullpup weapon. It’s the first time i see american soldiers use one.

10. Bluebird

Maybe it’s set in the near future. ;)
    Or they are not American soldiers.

11. YoungZer0

@10: US Flag on the torso. Looks like a F2000 Tactical.

12. Maximum Payne

Upgraded engine,story,minumum spec….

13. Bluebird

@11 Ah, only looked at their shoulders.

14. YoungZer0

@13: Understandable, usually THE place to look for it.

15. ekfight

Hopefully this time around they wont hire voice actors that live in a flooded basement and arent “touched in the head”… As much as I like Arma 2, i cant take it seriously because of how HORRIBLE the dialogue is.
    worst part is, even if you READ it, it seems ok… its well written, just excruciating delivery.

16. LOLshock94

what happend to arma 2 coming out for consoles?

17. Maximum Payne

@16 That was never a plan nor will be.You have Operation Flashpoint on consoles.

18. YoungZer0

@17: Operation Flashpoint on consoles. Kihihihihi. :3

19. Old MacDonald

Haha.

Anyway, looks great!

20. GwynbleiddiuM

YES! ArmA II is one of my favorites and I get ArmA III with no hesitation or second thought. Although I didn’t get any of the DLCs cause was putting more time in WoW and BFBC2 :-”.

21. Hunam

I’ll pencil it in for 2014 when I can afford a PC to run it.

22. Hunam

@15 I think the problem with Arma 2 was that Arma 1 was a bit of a flop. Arma 2 has done very well though so maybe 3 isn’t going to be fighting to survive out the gate.

23. tontsa91

Looks like Battlefield 3 finally has a rival.