Confirmed: The Last Guardian and ICO HD remixes all slip

Wednesday, 20th April 2011 08:25 GMT By Stace Harman

Sadly, the news can’t all be about Portal 2 releasing early and Bethesda’s Skyrim. No, some days the news is bad.

European product manager Phil Lynch broke the news on the PlayStation blog.

“SCEE can confirm that we are officially delaying the release of ICO/Shadow of the Colossus Collection and The Last Guardian from their respective launch timeframes of Spring 2011 and Holiday/Winter 2011. We will provide more information regarding release timing at a later date.”

Given the original launch windows, it’s possible that Ico and SotC may still make it before Christmas, but that looks unlikely for new title, The Last Guardian, which may now be pushed back to 2012.

Team Ico head Fumito Ueda posted an apology alongside the announcement:

“I announced at last year’s Tokyo Game Show that the release timing of The Last Guardian which is currently being developed would be holiday 2011.

“However, to provide more challenging and better quality of content to users and to fulfill First Party Studio’s obligations, I decided to postpone its release timing.

“All the members of my production team are working together at a fast pace to develop and release the game in First Party Studio quality.

“I sincerely apologize to all the customers who have been waiting for “The Last Guardian” for so long, but I beg for your patience. I will also announce the new release timing at a later time.”

If there’s a silver lining for those that are disappointed by this news, it’s that moving The Last Guardian out of the busy Christmas launch window may give it more room to shine and reduce the risk of it being overlooked. Then again, it might just mean it misses out on important ‘holiday season’ sales.

Thanks, Syrok.

1. HauntaVirus

Well…I’ll be DAMNED!

2. Erthazus

As i said bfore. Sony likes to announce every shit the have so Sony Fanboys can jerk off and buy PS3. After that, they start to delay everything they have for the next year.

Hipocricy at best.

I’m sure Sony at this E3 2011 will announce 20 games and every sony fanboy will jerk off at Sony MONTAGE and wait for the game for 3 years.

Microsoft and Nintendo in this case do right things. They announce games that will come out in the upcoming years without any delay. The biggest delay was from Microsoft with Gears Of War 3, but thats because they want to sell it in Christmas where it will be massive.

3. Blerk

Sad, but not surprising. Better for them to get it absolutely right, though? Yes?

4. Lounds

Gears will sell more than UC3 this Xmas, but UC3 will be sony’s best seller

5. bluffbluff03

@ 2 I agree with what you said about E3. Thats absolutels the impression I have…thank you nfpr posting it.

I think after that comment there will be (like we in Germany call it) a “Fanboy Rage”….

6. DrDamn

Actually vaguely agree with Erthazus for once :). Early in the PS3 lifecycle this was the only option Sony had – they had to announce things which they knew were a little way off as they didn’t have anything else exciting. More recently things had improved a little but there still exists a problems of control over release time frames and getting when to announce and when to get things out of the door right.

MS often get pulled up for not having much on the release radar – but that is often comparing to a release list which is hopeful at best from Sony. What MS have done this generation – bar a few notable exceptions – is announce and show stuff at the right time and get it out of the door at the right time too.

In this particular instance I’m happy to wait – it’s one of those rare titles, but why the delay to the HD collection too? Why not get that released as soon as possible to soften the blow?

7. Blerk

I’m guessing they delayed the collection because they want to use it as PR for Last Guardian. They don’t want to release it now and have everyone forget about it by the time LG finally arrives.

8. Erthazus

The thing is… I remember what i made a stupid move. I was so excited by Sony’s E3 (announced games.) for me money is not a factor so i bought 80 GB machine when it was released.

and i bought PS3 for MGS 4 and Final Fantasy XIII Versus… I mean that was a reason.

and i’m still waiting for Versus.

Next time i won’t buy Sony’s console until they will release games right on time. I’m sick of this hipocricy and nonsence from that Japanese conglomerate electronics company. No wonder why they have so much problems in this generation. Cutting jobs from SOE, third place, bad strategy and etc.

I miss old Sony. Whats wrong with them?

9. Blerk

I never buy a machine based on promises. I’m too old and too cynical for that. :-)

10. bkkshox

Next we’ll hear that Agent is delayed so it can be a PS5 launch title..

11. typeface

There’s one other reason why they’re delaying this. Sony Japan’s said that they’re shutting down and using less electricity this summer and in fact giving everyone a 2 week vacation besides that.

I mean there was an earthquake there you know and you should sort of expect most titles from Japan to get delays.

Not to mention, yeah based on the info we saw 2 months ago who in their right mind would’ve thought the collection would be out in April (I mean he said they’d redone the starting scenes only)

12. OrbitMonkey

Well at the risk of sounding callous, I could care less. Young boy, fantastical creature, empty castle, minimal dialogue & no plot… Yay, colour me bored.

Lol, Mr grumpy needs a coffee :) Maybe Last Guardian will be Teh best game Eva! But the last game Sony did this much prick teasing with was Killzone 2… Disappoint :(

13. StolenGlory

You know what, I probably totally agree with you if it weren’t for the small fact that the previous two games from Mr. Ueda’s studio have been utterly fucking awesome.

14. DrDamn

“I miss old Sony. Whats wrong with them?”

I hope they do learn a lot from the kicking they have had this generation. Maybe they won’t pick up on all of it – because there is a *lot* to learn, but in a few years time maybe we will be talking about this generation being the best thing which ever happened to them. You learn more from your mistakes.

15. Blerk

@13, spot on.

16. TD_Monstrous69

Hearing about this did make me pretty sad, but seeing as how Japan’s still recovering from one of the worst disaster’s in their nation’s history (since the U.S. bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki) and seeing as how both of Ueda’s/Team ICO’s previous games were considered to be amongst the greatest games ever made, I’ll forgive them. Hell, takes some strain away from my wallet. Also, I’m amazed on how many of the posters on this site are just straight up trolls. Really just sad.

17. Mike

@2: Couldn’t've put it better myself.

18. OrbitMonkey

@16 Yeah man, fucking trolls ruin everything! *whistles*

19. PEYJ

@ 2

I don’t really think this anything to do with hypocrisy.

And about the delay:

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwk…

20. Lounds

I miss the old Sony PS tv adverts, “the third place”

21. KAP

Some of you on here are heartless fuckers. Seriously.

Look at what japan is dealing with in this quick clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2tGFagNBPU

Now you tell me if this delay is totally justified?
    My heart goes out to Japan, Fumito Ueda, his very talented team and all there families. Priorities comes first, sorry.

Take all the time in the world guys. I’ll still be a massive fan of your work.

22. Nozz

@21 If this a site allowed rating comments I would have spammed the crap out of the thumbs up button for that one.

Holding back development so that the game is of good quality is nothing to get angry about, it just means the game will be better and to the standard that gamers expect.

23. xino

if you want to play Last Guardian, just play Majin and the Forsaken kingdom

24. Lounds

thumbs down on #22

25. KAP

Im glad someone agrees with me, I feel ashamed at the way some people react to something like this. Im embarresssed for ‘em. Never looking at the bigger picture, just themselfs. Ironically they’ll be the first to slate the game if it was rushed?! Cant win.
    The way i see it is if were pissed that its delayed its magnified 100x more for Ueda-san, The last gaurdian is his baby, he wants to create the game without any hitch but then hes got bigger things to think about like the well being of his family and team.
    It must be really tuff for him not to mention, the rest of Japan.
    I just wish we lay off him a little bit and be wait for what will eventually be EPIC!

I guess were no longer used to the type of developer like this anymore, we just want a semi good game with the usual game mechanics we are used to with a gun or two and a new hundred enemies to kill.
    “Fuck pushing the medium forward. Thats gay, and wont sell just do whats done before but better”
    Thats the kind of mentality i see these days with games and gamers and its missing the point of entertainment as a whole.

26. PEYJ

Without having played Last Guardian, I would say that Majin is NOTHING like Last Guardian.

So if we want to play Last Guardian, well, we’ll have to wait for…Last Gurdian.

27. Stardog

Looks like I won’t be buying a PS3 this year…Oh dear.

28. osric90

Thank you! This year I’m broke with DE:HR, PoPHDT, Catherine, Batman: AC, U3, ME3 and others I don’ remember. This will give me a little for food until next year.

29. Mike

Why is everyone talking about the Tsunami? Where does the article even mention it. Maybe it’s delayed because it’s delayed, and no other ohletsallforgivethem excuse other than that.

30. KAP

Are you serious dude?

Last year we had huge amounts snow in the UK and it was manic to the public and alot of companies.

Snow.

Have you seen whats been happening in Japan mate? no, i mean recently?

31. DaMan

does anyone know where in the country any JP devs offices are located? or any JP company involved with SCE? no.

If theory about delay being because of the tragic events would be true, then it would affect way more JP releases. it’s likely due to Sony ‘s trademark style of announcing everything long before it gets released.

more so seeing as how ie they’ve even said it won’t affect the launch of PSP2 (NGP). new hardware.

32. Mike

That’s why it’s delayed.

33. Kuwabara

For the ps3 this year, lbp2, killzone3, socom 4, motorstorm 3, yakuza 4, infamous 2, resistance 3, twisted metal 4, uncharted 3!! xbox 360, gears of war 3. So shut the fuck up erthazus and you complaining bitches, the ps3 has more than enough exclusives to keep any ps3 more than satisfied. Seriously who actually thought last guardian would make it by 2011, damm idiots. Sony is being smart, why release it alongside mw3 and just a month after uncharted 3!! the lineup for ps3 is a thousand times better than wii or xbox 360, which is a joke.