THQ has plans to differentiate Homefront from other shooters in the future

Saturday, 9th April 2011 18:18 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

THQ’s Danny Bilson has said the firm has plans to make sure Homefront differentiate itself from other games in the shooting genre with future releases.

Speaking with Gamespot during the MI6 Conference this week, Bilson acknowledged that what DICE has accomplished with the Battlefield series, is “the bar,” he is setting for the firm’s shooter games “going forward.”

“I think there’s a great big audience for people who want to ‘play army’ online, and I’m one of them,” he said. “I’m really looking forward to the Battlefield game. And that’s because I love having vehicles and more than just infantry running around, like in Homefront, which I’m playing a lot right now. And I’m not just saying that.

“Battlefield are the originators of that, and what they’re doing there is the bar that I set our shooter stuff for going forward… and Homefront will be farther from the other guys as it goes forward. In the single-player, we will not just be doing ‘no cutscenes’ and immersive stuff. We have a lot more interesting execution plans with technology for the future, but we’re still in the planning stages; nothing’s locked down.

“I think we differentiated really well in world and story. You’re not a soldier in Homefront. What we need to do and what the plan is to make guerrilla warfare more than just a name, to make it a gameplay mechanic.”

Bilson went on to say that he was in “no position to start doing PR on the creative future of Homefront,” and while a sequel hasn’t been confirmed or hinted strongly at, THQ has said in the past it has plans to support it as a series.

In early March, Kaos GM David Votypka said the firm would consider making Homefront 2 providing the first game sold well.

As of March 25, Homefront has shipped 2.4 million worldwide, and sold 1 million units.

1. Maximum Payne

Funny how game is very generic and uninspired but Now sequel is going to be something we have never seen before

2. UuBuU

Heard it all before and i’m not convinced. I think these guys are too concerned with sales to try anything too bold in order to differentiate from COD and Battlefield.

A modern warfare shooter with flashy graphics is all you need to get the mindless monkey horde to throw their money at you, and they know it. Sure, they may add a few gimmicks and call them innovative, bar-raising ideas, but it’ll still be just another generic shooter to make money off the monkeys.

3. chriswhaaat

i think it has a lot of potential. it just needed a few more months of polish. the multiplayer was good i liked the battle points system.

4. Hybridpsycho

So the first game is a COD copy, and the second game will be a Battlefield Copy? :O

GENIUS!

5. DSB

Bilson really doesn’t sound good above. “We’re gonna fix everything” – So, why didn’t you to begin with? You have to make a bad game to be inspired?

THQ used to make a lot of great games, but they just seem to be sinking deeper and deeper into mediocrity at this point.

I don’t even know what he’s talking about in terms of “playing army”, I haven’t noticed any popular games trying to do that. They’re trying to play Schwarzenegger.

And guerilla tactics? I get the whole underdog thing, it’s neat to be a small group fighting back, but actual guerilla tactics won’t make for very good mechanics. 5 minutes of fighting followed by an hour of running.

6. pukem0n

wasnt THIS game supposed to be something like that?
    apart from the storysetting with the koreans, i’ve seen nothing new here.

well, the playtime for the campaign was new. a new low.

7. Redh3lix

Multiplayer was fun when you got the pile of shit to work without freezing. Couldn’t be arsed to wait for patch (which has only just arrived) so traded the bugger in. Never buying another Homefront again (THQ/Kaos game)

kthnxbye.

8. ududy

Leading a guerrilla group instead of just being another soldier following orders could be a good step for the series – choosing targets, gathering intelligence, managing relations with civilian population, recruiting. It’s not gonna be easy to integrate the shooter and management sides effectively, but success here could really move the brand to unique territory.

9. AHA-Lambda

It will be different in that it will dumb found people even moreso than CoD as to why it is popular -_-

Seriously homefront is a TERRIBLE game

10. DonnerKebab

May I congratulate THQ on THE WORST SINGLE PLAYER campaign I have ever tried to endure, and the most vacuous characters of all time. A new low in gaming. Half an hour was all I could take of the dialogue. And believe me I pushed myself.

It seems lately that the polar opposite of a game’s PR bilge is closer to the fact. Who could have tested this and used the word ‘emotional’?

Crazy.

The Multiplayer is OK… nothing more.

11. DonnerKebab

Exactly

12. James Mac

Go play ‘Darkest of Days’… we’ll wait.

13. UuBuU

@12 – DoD wasn’t THAT bad. I think people expected a lot from it because it had such a great concept, and the mediocre gameplay came as a big let down.

If you take it for what it is – an ambitious project from fairly amatuer developers – and also don’t play it on the 360, it can be enjoyable.

14. DSB

@8 Sadly I think it’s safe to say that pushing the envelope on mechanics like that are long gone. Publishers aren’t interested in developers doing things that are hard anymore.

The more you add, the more risks you take with a game, so I definitely couldn’t see THQ passing anything except a straight continuation.

I really miss the days when developers competed to add those sorts of things to their games, though.

15. overlord6011

here is my view homefront could be diffrent enemy or the same koreans and i hope to see 2 sides in battle like u.k and u.s.a vs koreans and germans but then again could there be battles around the globe but if there is multiplayer will have to be cut since the game play would have to take place in every big parts of the e.g africa, europe, u.s.a, russia, poland, and so on but i hope we see good battles