Off-screen Battlefield 3 footage gets out from GDC

Friday, 4th March 2011 16:26 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Someone’s posted a four minute long video of Battlefield 3 from GDC. Get in there quick before EA yanks it!

The footage shows a small clip of an desert environment before showing two minutes of gameplay. Following that, there’s a teaser snippet of gameplay that features tanks and jets.

Finally, there’s a bit which features lighting tech. Get to it kids before EA pulls it.

Battlefield 3 launches this fall for PS3, 360 and PC. Read Steph’s impressions from EA’s GDC event here.

1. Erthazus

Oh god, Jets, vehicles… Fantastic destruction.

I need HD video of this.

2. Yoshi

I was just about to post this on the most recent BF3 topic :P

3. UuBuU

Impressive. As bored as I am with modern FPS games, I think i’ll definately give this a go. It really looks like it might raise the bar a notch higher.

4. Hunam

Looks great.

Also love the MGS reference in the game :)

5. Grimrita

hit boxes look better. Any word about bullet proof leaves? I might actually miss them now!

6. xino

HOLY SH*

INSANE!

this game is not joking around!

7. Johnny Cullen

For an off-screen video, that actually does not look half bad.

8. sickgamer

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

9. YoungZer0

@4: What reference?

10. DeathJynx

This game is definitely gunning for the FPS “crown”

11. Erthazus

@4, EXACTLY. SOLID SNAKE :D

12. DSB

Damn, if they make buildings fall over in multiplayer, and do a full airspace several kilometres over the map like that, that’s me sold.

13. Shonak

I’m so sold, yes!

14. G1GAHURTZ

Boring.

15. spiderLAW

Because it isnt COD, right?
    lol
    Awesome

16. NeoSquall

fukken saved :D

17. G1GAHURTZ

No, because it looks generic and uninspiring.

Been there, done that.

18. El_MUERkO

awe, it’s gone already :(

19. Prof.Dr.Moertel

get a new one here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLJ4CKbmIRU
    (at least it´s working right now^^)

20. Erthazus

@19 i like the name: 3FB YALPEMAG

21. strikkebil

i wanna see it running on ps3/xbox.

22. Maximum Payne

@21 Yea even i have good PC i still want to know how console is going to look.Just like Bad Company 2 it doesn’t look worse on console.IMO Battlefield 3 is going to look in that way just with no AA,smaller res and worse shadow(pixelised)

23. sickgamer

@G1GAHURTZ where ? IRAQ ? u were scare as a raped chicken ;) and ive been their !

24. Dralen

Fuck Yes! Jets are back!

25. DeathJynx

@23 I think he is waiting for “WoW in space…”

26. Nozz

I’m too late!

Damn you EA claiming copyright of a youtube video that you fully hold the copyright to!!

DAMN YOU!!!

27. Erthazus

“Been there, done that.”

so you was in IRAQ? Or maybe your Call Of duty had Iraq?

I’m sorry, that is fanboyish trollism at best. Next time, try harder. Your Call Of duty can only make a mission where Russians starts attacking US because they found dead CIA in Sheremetyevo. But why i’m saying that, you don’t even know what is this anyway.

Call Of duty fratboys in most cases are dumb. As long as you can kill it’s enough for them.

28. IL DUCE

NOOOO I missed it…lol

29. Michael O’Connor

A Call of Duty fanboy (and I use that word very intentionally) calling footage of a Battlefield game “generic and “uninspiring” is almost unbelievably hilarious.

30. OrbitMonkey

Pfft, Homefront pisses all over this generic shit xD

31. spiderLAW

that was funny. Which troll are you trying to stir up?

32. OrbitMonkey

@31 shh, you’ll scare them off!

33. G1GAHURTZ

So what, is the game being set in Iraq some sort of big selling point now!? LOL!

Oooh, what a feature!

Pfffffft.

In most video games, the Middle East looks exactly the same, no matter which country it’s supposed to be, let alone the ones already set in Iraq.

Anyway, like I said before, the style of the game looks very similar to GRAW, and I was playing that in 2006!!

Modern FPS’s set in the Middle East are boring now. They’re the new WW2 shooter, and everything that I saw in that video was boring and unoriginal.

What’s even worse was that they seemed to be trying to show off a new feature.

OH LOOK!!! WE’VE GOT PRONE!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!

Video games have been doing prone since about 1986, and here we have DICE branding it as a new feature!

Wow.

All of it… crawling through ventilation shafts? Check. Defusing a bomb in an underground bunker? Check. Running through war-torn streets with a small squad of marines? Check. Shooting down an armoured target on a conveniently placed mounted gun? Check. Watching a large building come down while being danger close? Check.

Nothing new there, not a single thing.

Been there, done that.

While I can see how you might find it funny, whatever I may or may not be, doesn’t change the fact that what I say is completely true.

34. DeathJynx

Ok, so ignorance is why you speak Giga? Prone was caused by an earthquake that toppled the mounted gun and collapsed the building, they were not trying to advertise laying on the ground. As generic as you may seem to think the scenario is (can’t argue against that with too much vigor) it is still bringing a new experience to gamers. And don’t down play the collapse of that building. That was masterfully impressive to be executed in real time.

35. Fin

this aint worth playin unless it has perks like blops.

36. OrbitMonkey

@35 Word, I want Commando back! *stabbystabby*

37. Grimrita

Well they did remove prone from the awful Bug company 2. For me, it will be interesting to see if a) this is better than Bug company 2 and if it is 2) the review scores because BC2 managed to get 8.5-9s and its clearly not even worth a 6.

38. Redh3lix

Seriously, talentless, scrubby, camping, masturbating over your K/D ratio wankers called “COD players”, stay away from this game.

kthx.

39. DSB

Giving people light machinguns and bolt-action sniper rifles without allowing them to go prone is about as stupid as you’re gonna get.

I don’t think realism should be a big deal in games, but in terms of maintaining suspension of disbelief, that’s pretty bad.

@38 Man, I love how people actually pretend like 60% of everyone in BC2 isn’t either a sniper or an M60 medic.

BC2 players are so fucking refined, they shake hands before noobtubing eachother. It’s such an impressive community, and I’m absolutely sure that none of them ever even touched a CoD game.

That was fucking hilarious, man :P