Mass Effect 2 DLC revealed as “The Arrival” in PS3 patch

Monday, 21st February 2011 21:09 GMT By Brenna Hillier

New trophies included in the latest PlayStation 3 patch for Mass Effect 2 have outed a number of intriguing details about upcoming DLC.

Possible spoilers through the jump – you’ve been warned.

The trophies were reportedly spotted on the BioWare forums before being reported on NeoGaf, and reveal the title of the next DLC as “The Arrival”.

Mention is made of Dr Amanda Kenson, a name RPG Site put together with the final Cerberus Network news broadcast, which you can read below.

The three trophies are as follows:

• The Ultimate Sacrifice
    Complete the Arrival DLC
  • Last Stand
    Survive all five waves in the battle for Object Rho
  • Covert Action
    Rescue Dr. Amanda Kenson without attracting hostile attention.

Thanks, Ripten.

“Historians and astronomers alike are abuzz tonight over a new paper published by Dr. Amanda Kenson of the University of Arcturus. Her team claims that by testing the dust trapped in the gravity wells around a mass relay, and comparing its composition to that of dust clouds in the same system, scientists can create a timeline of when the relay passed through the dust. Her conclusion? “Only a small fraction of the mass effect relays date back 50,000 years,” she writes, “The majority are far older, indicating they were created by a species predating even the Protheans.” Dr. Aurana T’Meles of the University of Serrice met the information with skepticism: “While Dr. Kenson’s methods appear sound, the asari tried a similar procedure centuries ago and discounted it. What civilization could have spanned the galaxy for not thousands, but millions of years? If this were the case, we should have found mountains of evidence of their passing. Where is this species now?”

1. NeoSquall

So, after this is out, wil we have a Ultimate Edition to buy and get all the paid DLCs?

I’m already on the fence for when that happens.

2. KillerDD

I’m still waiting for the day companies will start shipping complete games again! I’ve had it with the amount of DLC these days.

3. Akira_Tenshi

You cheap bastards, it’s not like the final game lacked content. I welcome DLC adding to a game that already had a ton to do.

4. Moonwalker1982

Exactly, and the DLCs are great too for this one. Shadow Broker was incredible. It was only 800 pts and very worth it. The others were even 560, for these days that’s really not much.

5. Bellisner

Arrival? I wonder who or what is arriving? ‘Effing Reaper armada I’ll bet!

6. Phoenixblight

No get out of here the made all the DLCs during development and then held them for a year to sell them later. SOrry but you know how moronic that sounds. DLC is going nowhere.

7. Johnny Cullen

This has to be the DLC that branches ME2 and ME3, surely.

8. Keivz

Please let this be the last DLC.

9. NeoSquall

@7: Yes it is, if we consider this past news: http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/02/mass-effect-2-to-get-one-more-dlc-cerberus-network-on-hiatus/

As for the nature of paid DLCs, I understand it’s a business model that helps developers raising enough funds to survive these days, but I don’t like it pretty much, instead waiting for the Ultimate Editions and get them for a fair price, even after purchasing the Collector’s Editions for the base game, and play the full experience a second time.
    I support the developers, I just don’t want to play bits by bits since I have other games to play too.

10. KillerDD

I know it’s not like they’re purposely denying us content, I just don’t like DLC that much anymore. You can finish most of the DLC in 1,5 hour and maybe you can push that little beyond that. But if you look at the price you pay about 1/8 of the retail price for a lot less content. The price/content ratio is what bothers me the most.

And that’s just my two cents!

11. OrbitMonkey

The only thing that bothers me about dlc & its only a little thing, is that the trophys/achievements for the dlc are added to the list of the main game. Would prefer if it was kept separate.

12. ManuOtaku

The thing is that what is an ultimate version of the game for?, if the keep releasing DLC, we need to change the name to ultimate version till the next DLC or something….but is cool more DLC for Mass effect or dead read for that matter

13. sebbie16

People might complain about DLC but they are no different than expansion packs from years back. Its just that DLC comes in a smaller form at also a smaller price.

14. LOLshock94

this coming out for the xbox aswell?
    and from reading those achivements this DLC sounds as though you wont have to pay since its a big step to ME3

15. IL DUCE

Yeah, it’s definitely coming to all systems, and maybe I missed it but I did not see any spoilers in there…

@9 Paid DLC may be annoying, but you have choices, don’t buy it until it’s cheap since it will likely be on sale before ME3 gets released or don’t buy the game and wait for the GOTY Edition or Ultimate Edition whatever…or don’t buy it at all and miss out on the extra stories…Bioware is really good about their DLC and it’s always full of value with Mass Effect and Dragon Age and another person that does it really well is Bethesda with the Fallout DLCs which were awesome…I will gladly pay 400-800 MS points for great story DLC instead of spending 1200 points for three stupid multiplayer maps and a useless zombie map from those jerks @ Activision for Call of Duty aka most recycled and boring game of this generation…I guess at least Treyarch didn’t recycle CoD4 maps like good old IW…

16. BloodyJoe

Is there a release date?