Rumour: XCOM undergoing “some big changes” post-announcement

Wednesday, 16th February 2011 13:35 GMT By Johnny Cullen

According to semi-retired internet sluth superannuation, the 2K Australia-made reboot for XCOM has seen “some big changes” since its announcement last year.

Here’s the tweet he posted a while ago:

“FWIW, there’s a rumor that XCOM’s undergone some big changes since it was announced.”

To add on top of that, 2K Australia studio director, Martin Slater, apparently resigned last month.

XCOM’s only seen a handful of screens and interviews, one from us at E3 last year, with one trailer to date.

The game’s down for an FY2012 release by Take Two for PC and Xbox 360.

1. Blerk

Hopefully changes for the better. The idea didn’t sound too bad but the trailer was a bit… er… y’know. It’d be nice if they pulled in more of what made the original games great even if they do decide to keep the first-person viewpoint and more action-based gameplay.

2. rainer

That could be good or bad news, hard to say.

The game wasn’t really an X-Com game but something else that borrowed a few ideas from X-Com, it actually sounded reasonably decent from RPS’s last preview if you forget about the whole X-Com branding.

3. Erthazus

I have a better idea for them.

Take Two, how about cancelling this game?

4. Blerk

What I’d really love would be a totally new XBLA game in the style of the originals. By Julian Gollop.

That’s not much to ask, is it?

5. Erthazus

@4, only XBLA? Well fuck you sir.

6. YoungZer0

I don’t think it can get worse.

7. Blerk

Well, that’s where I’d like it most. If it came to other formats too then all well and good. It’d just have to be downloadable rather than disc-based, otherwise it’d tank.

8. M2Kx

XCom is an PC/360 exclusive right? Looked like some cheap ghostbusters egoshooter from the start, so it’s definitely good news @1 ;)

9. Khakimzhan

it seems that XCOM-re-re-imagined was the game OXM wanted to exclusively announce…

10. DSB

I don’t see how that’s possible Blerk, @that first comment.

Our best bet for a true revival lies with Xenonauts. X-Com is going to be some kind of adventure/alien shooter, which to me really means that it won’t be related to the old games. It’s going to be its own entity with the X-Com brand slapped onto it.

To me it’s comparable to the new Fallouts. It’s got the brand, and they’re fine games on their own, but they have little to do with the old ones.

11. Blerk

I’ve been keeping an eye on Xenonauts for ages. If it ever actually comes out I’ll be astonished. :-D

The Fallout analogy is a good one though. I’d be a lot happier with a first-person XCOM if there was more to it than just shooting, just like the reimagined Fallouts keep some of the RPGiness of the originals despite making the series more action-oriented.

12. DSB

I actually think Xenonauts have been making some pretty good progress for such a little project, especially when you count their outsourcing setbacks.

I don’t neccesarily agree with all their design decisions, but I’m pretty sure those guys are working their asses off, I have faith! :P

I would’ve loved to have seen X-Com: Alliance released myself, but it’s just so hard to change the entire genre of a series like that and actually get away with it.

13. TheWulf

Hm.

All the strategy elements are being stripped out, perhaps, in fear that it might alienate people? This is far enough away from XCOM already, so I wouldn’t put it past them to remove the dynamic/strategy based stuff they were talking about.

Still, I live in hope.

14. The_Red

They didn’t need to change the game. All they had to do was change the freaking NAME and make it a new IP. What they were doing with X-Com is like making a fighting / brawler sequel to Civilization 3.