Bilson: “Big” Saints Row 3 announcement “coming soon”

Wednesday, 2nd February 2011 10:45 GMT By Johnny Cullen

THQ core games VP and loveable motormouth Danny Bilson’s spilled that a Saints Row 3 announcement is “coming soon.” How large is the reveal? It’s “big,” apparently.

Answering a reply as to when we would see the Volition sequel, which has been long chatted about by THQ, Bilson only said in a tweet:

“Big announcement coming soon.”

Promised formal reveals at E3 last June and at the Spike VGAs in December passed without a showing, with Volition choosing to instead focus on new horror tile inSane, made in conjunction with Guillermo del Toro.

Time for the maths lesson. THQ just so happens to hold its Q3 financial call later on tonight GMT. You may want to watch carefully tonight.

1. Blerk

This news makes me happy. I had a great time with Saints Row 2, it’s a very under-rated title.

2. silk

SR2 was everything that GTA4 should have been. i.e. Fun.

3. nofear360

Thanks for giving credit to thisisxbox.com for finding this tweet, Johnny!

4. orakaa

I loved Saints Row 2, and had much more fun in it than in GTAIV, which annoyed me a lot because of the “Bellic syndrom” : “everyone treat me like a dog, insult me, make fun of me, make me do all their errands and I can do NOTHING but accept ‘what’s-his-name’ wants me to do, even when I know he’s gonna try to kill me”.
    I NEVER played an open world game where I felt so powerless, frustrated and treated like s…

The same almost ruined the fun of “Red Dead Redemption”, especially the whole Mexican part of the game when I just wanted to put a pullet in the head of the Mexican general and his men… but just couldn’t, despite the fact he tried to kill me on several occasions, and was obliged to do as he wanted. Apart from that, RDR was a great game, but I sincerely hope R* start to hire professional screenwriters to avoid this kind of problem.

Saints Row 2 storyline was quite interesting and let you a bit more freedom at least. Plus you could REALLY do whatever you wanted to do

5. silk

Yahtzee sums up the differences better than I ever could. And it’s one of the few games he has ever praised which says it all. :)

6. orakaa

@5 : HAHA, excellent ! Never saw this review before, but he’s ABSOLUTELY right

7. DSB

Day 1 purchase.

@4 I wouldn’t exactly call the storyline interesting. It was pretty cheap, but personally I think sandbox games are better off like that. I don’t want to run around thinking and feeling the plotline, I want to blow shit up, drive some fancy cars and generally do whatever I want.

@5 Amen.

8. earlyrock

I loved the spirit of the game, but I found it just way too buggy. I couldn’t get into and gave up. I hope the quality is a bit better this time around.

9. Blerk

It was a bit glitchy, to be sure. Their later games have been much more solid, though – hopefully this time around they’ll get it right.

10. Crysis

The 360 version was fine, played it consistently for a couple months, but the PS3 & PC versions were very buggy (I owned all 3, kind of tells how good it is))

11. DSB

The port to PC was very poorly optimized (I think CD Projekt did it?) but today I can play it without problems, and I’m actually pretty impressed that those massive ammounts of scripting practically never break.