Bilson: I wouldn’t have put Taliban in Medal of Honor

Friday, 14th January 2011 11:57 GMT By Johnny Cullen

medalofhonor9

THQ core games boss Danny Bilson has hit out at EA’s decision to include the Taliban in Medal of Honor, telling EG he wouldn’t have put them in the game “in the first place”.

The shooter, released last October, included the Taliban in the game’s single-player, but EA made a last-minute decision to pull the group from multiplayer and replace it with “Opposing Force”.

But Bilson, who was previously at EA as an exec, said he wouldn’t have put them in the game at all.

“I wouldn’t have put them in in the first place,” Bilson said at the publisher’s “newTHQ” event in New York this week.

Bilson also denied accusations of bad taste in THQ’s upcoming US vs North Korean shooter Homefront, following the recent conflict between North and South, whilst also pointing out the differences of the game against MoH and DICE’s Battlefield.

“In Battlefield, when you had the Mid East Alliance and the Chinese and the Americans, it was all fantasy and I didn’t mind playing one side or the other,” he said.

“When you get into reality – and that’s real, that’s not speculative science fiction like ours – people are dying at their hands. I take my games seriously. That’s why they’re fun to play, because you care about them. I don’t want to play as the Taliban, particularly.”

At his time at EA, Bilson was creating a war game based on the Iraq War, according to comments made last year.

1. Gekidami

Am i imagining things or did the non-US team in MoH change names 3 times? Because at one point it was reported that they were called “Al’Qaeda” then it seemed to be “The Taliban”. before going to “Opposing Force”.

2. OrbitMonkey

When will it be ok for videogames to mention the Taliban? 10-20 years? I know its a ongoing conflict, but other forms of media entertainment have covered this topic without censure…

3. DSB

There’s no answer to your question OrbitMonkey. Freedom of expression guarantees as much.

All we have is our own opinions of whether it’s okay or not.

Plenty of documentaries have placed journalists on the front lines, sometimes even with soldiers and enemy dying in front of the camera, like in “Restrepo” or “Armadillo”.

That’s historical documentation and serious reporting however, as well as a public service. The same can hardly be said for an action game (or movie, or show) meant and formed as entertainment with no genuine regard for the truth.

Personally I’d prefer it if people let the bodies get cold before they started using them as entertainment. That’s the minimum ammount of respect.

4. xino

but I wanna play as the mother farking Taliban man:/

5. TheWulf

Bilson: I believe that one-sided propaganda sells because it appeals to the right! :D

That would’ve been more accurate!

Honestly, this is a little ridiculous, isn’t it? We’re not all super-sensitive children, we’re not in playschool, watching cartoons that foster a basic Us vs Them mentality. We’re not talking about He-Man and Skeletor here. There are real people on both sides of this.

And to be honest? War is a horror, regardless of whomever is involved, and innocent people suffer. This is something that needs to be learned, and fast. It’s not something that people go off to do to be heroic. Talk to any war veteran and you’ll learn that quick sharpish.

So this all seems very silly to me. It’s the glorification of one side of a war. That’s why I don’t like games like this. Though I might be alone in that.

6. GwynbleiddiuM

I think the question here is “Who did USA gone to war against in Afghanistan”? Well, it wasn’t Iran, Iraqis where somewhere else, Pakistan was a bit farther and for some reason they’re sort of allies, Chinese and Russians weren’t there either, Oh wait, I think, I’m not sure though USA was fighting against Taliban and Al’Qaida forces.

This is how stupid the world is, although I don’t know why no one had such a concern about World War II where people had to put themselves in Nazi shoes and kill allies back then.

How is this any different?! except it is considered a recent and on going event. It was the same with vietnam too, no one said nothing.

7. artdafoo

Hey D bag ! put out your own effin FPS then u can run your mouth !