Riccitiello calls Dead Space 2 “scarier” than the original

Wednesday, 1st December 2010 21:05 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

deadspace21

John Riccitiello really likes Dead Space 2, and according to the man himself, it’s a lot scarier than the first game.

According to EA’s CEO he just finished playing a nearly-final version of the January title and told Kotaku the boss battles are superior to the ones included in the first game.

The Kotaku piece also said he was rather fond of  the game’s high-altitude space-diving.

From what we’ve seen of the game, and just in videos mind you, it’s definitely one of the top titles on our list of what to get next year.

Dead Space 2 is out on January 25 for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

1. OrbitMonkey

I love the smell of hype (checks watch) in the evening… Smells like… Bs :b
    Not that I care as I will be defo getting this! Just always find it amusing that they say a game is scary, then give your character enough guns to take Waco…

2. Hunam

I hope it is, as the lead sound designer left to join Sledgehammer.

3. KrazyKraut

without the original creator of dead space…..they are not have the skills to make it scarier

4. spiderLAW

I cant wait!!!! First one was the only game i have ever played since Resident Evil (PSX) that has made me feel on edge while playing. Not scary, but intense for sure.

5. YoungZer0

I can’t wait, too!!!!! Never in my life have i been this bored by a game this predictable.

6. xino

Yo!

this game is scary man, especially if you play with turtlebeach headphones!

7. osric90

When was this game scary?

8. YoungZer0

Whenever you were about to fall asleep.

9. Lord Gremlin

Dead Space is a fine gore fest and a good game, but it’s not scary. Games like Siren: Blood Curse or Amnesia: Dark Descent are scary.

10. YoungZer0

Oh yeah, Amnesia. Never able to finish that game.

11. Hunam

Siren Blood Curse is comical rather than scary. Dead Space, with a decent sound system and played on hard rather than the far too forgiving normal is the most tense gaming experience I have ever had. It not quite scary, but you are unsettled by it.

12. chronoss2

I dont think Dead Space is a scary game, it’s just a very violent and bloody one… Siren: Blood Curse is THE scary game.

I liked Dead Space and i’m getting the second day one!

13. Erthazus

Of course Dead space is not a scary game if you play it in the morning or day or with full light without decent headphones..

Of course it’s not and won’t be scary never.

Dead space is very scary and i mean VERY scary. If you will play it at night with fucking awesome headphones from Logitech 5.1 . You will shit your pants and maybe you will switch off the game.

14. Hunam

Siren fails to scare with it’s shonky graphics, terrible animation and just poor production values, added on top of really bad controls and clunky gameplay. I honestly don’t see what people like about Siren, because it’s really, really poor.

15. chronoss2

The same reason for which i don’t understand what people like about Call of Duty.. It’s not it’s because it’s a game where you don’t shoot that it’s a really, really poor one!!! Siren: Blood Curse is a great game, and please don’t judge it from the demo only and the graphics are incredibly realistic.. take a look at this, it’s in the beginning in the hospital : http://www.thevine.com.au/resources/imgdetail/021008125433_siren-blood-curse.jpg

@13 : you know, games can scare without 5.1 and i dunno what equipment. Dead Space is just not a scary game for me but only bloody and violent as i said before. I played it in the beginning on my computer with headphones and no effect… I bought it on PS3 and still the same, but the game is great.

16. LOLshock94

like what the other guy said it is a hole lot new experience when playing dead space with a turtle beach or a turtle head

17. Dralen

Oh wow! Thanks for the tips on good scary games guys, that “Amnesia: The Dark Descent” looks absolutely shit scary. Never heard of it until now, and I just watched the gameplay trailer on steam, looks really scary.

18. back_up

PS3 version will be the best because you get Extraction with
    it

19. chronoss2

@18 : Extraction you mean :)

20. NeoSquall

I think the real value of this news is: Riccitiello is playing a game produced by his company.

*smacks Activision in the nose*

21. DaMan

Kotick is scarier than Riccitello.

DS is dull. hardly a scary one, when you could buy ammo from the shop.

22. Erthazus

“when you could buy ammo from the shop.”

Try the hardest difficulty. Now that will be a problem.
    + it’s a balance mechanic.

For my first playthrough i bought tons of ammos from the shop, for my second playthrough i had full inventory of ammo and never bought one from a shop.

23. DaMan

I did, and got sick of it. again, not scary just more cumbersome.