Patcher: MS and Sony desire belief in Kinect and Move shortages

Monday, 29th November 2010 09:46 GMT By Joe Anderson

move

Michael Patcher has said Sony and Microsoft are both bending the truth when it comes to the availability of Move and Kinect, in order to great a demand for sales.

Speaking in an interview with IncGamers, the Wedbush Morgan analyst was particularly damning of Sony.

“I think both companies would very much like for consumers to believe that their devices are highly sought after and difficult to obtain. That usually works to spur demand.

“Sony shipped 2.5 million units in the US and Europe, and their sales are nowhere near that level, so I’m not sure how they can reconcile the fact that units shipped far exceed units sold.”

Pachter was a bit kinder to Microsoft.

“I do think that Microsoft is managing supply a bit better, and keeping standalone Kinect supply tight to make sure that there is a steady supply through Christmas.

“They’ve shipped a lot of console bundles to ensure that the eBay price doesn’t get above $300 for the standalone unit, but supply of the standalone remains tight.”

“Sony is trying the same strategy as Microsoft with Kinect, making sure that there are plenty of bundles, but controlling supply of the standalone controllers.”

Kinect launched in November, following a Move launch in September.

1. Erthazus

First signs of failure :D

I’m sure that people who purchased kinect or Move after christmas will think: Now what?

In Japan kinect is a FAILURE now. Who is next?

2. Redh3lix

I purchased Move and am happy with the actual hardware, although the titles so far have seemingly been aimed at familiarising yourself with the tech.

I do like the fact they’ve patched existing games for Move such as Eye Pet, which is infinitely better with Move, plus the more “core” games such as MAG.

I’d suspect they’ll shift more units with further core games such as SOCOM etc.

3. XDamage

Oldest trick in the book. Move at least has some potential, but future games have to be unusually good for me to jump on that wagon. :)

4. Michael O’Connor

@3 Both devices have just as much potential as each other.

I’m enjoying the two of them. They both bring unique experiences to the table.

5. DrDamn

Agree – got Move and had a good play with Kinect. I think what is quite interesting is how complementary they can be in terms of ownership. It’s not a case of either/or they both bring something different.

6. freedoms_stain

Pachter might actually be right this time. Creating the illusion of demand is an old industry trick.

7. TraceableX

I really prefer Move/Wiimote.

8. chronoss2

Pachter is nothing else than a puppy who never predicts the right thing…