Activision on abysmal Tony Hawk sales: “There’s hopefully a method to that madness”

Friday, 19th November 2010 09:03 GMT By Nathan Grayson

tony hawk shred

To say Tony Hawk: Shred pretty much ended up like this guy is probably an understatement – at least, if the game’s initial sales are anything to go on.

Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg, however, says it’s all part of the plan.

“There’s hopefully a method to that madness,” he told Gamasutra. “For the first time we’re targeting that game to kids. It’s a gift-oriented game, but, that said, we need to build awareness for the game still. … I think you’ll hopefully see a bigger ramp-up as we get further into the gift giving season.”

He also mentioned that The Ellen DeGeneres Show named Shred as one of its top 12 gifts for the holiday season, which – we suppose – is pretty solid proof that at least one person actually played the game.

So there you go. A giant multimillion dollar corporation’s keeping its chin up in the face of adversity. Inspiring stuff, isn’t it? We think we’ll write a novel about it.

1. Blerk

Ellen DeGeneres – whoring her show out to any cause if the price is right! :-D

2. Freek

Wow, if Shred made it onto that list, I don’t even wanna know what other horrors lurk in there.
    Perhaps she actually hates Christmass and this part of her plot to make people misrable?

3. Anders

Poor children.

4. Old MacDonald

Maybe the game came out a decade or two too late. Skateboarding? That was cool in Skate or Die.

5. SunKing

This franchise is dead.

6. manamana

Maybe this game is under everyones radar. There’s even no metascore, because noone reviews it. I say: Throw in some millinons for advertising! Than I say: If it fails get rid of blizzard, you know how to do it!

And I say: I still wouldn’t buy it.

Edit: shiet, I wasn’t aware, that Robomodo already gutted up to 60 employees. Activision really has a run …

7. Erthazus

I hope that Call Of duty will have the same fate one day, but it’s probably impossible.

8. fear_itself

I’d rather repeatedly watch that video of skater boi crushing his nuts than play the game. Damn but his mates did NOTHING to help.