New data shows PS3 trailing Xbox 360 by only 3 million units worldwide

Tuesday, 9th November 2010 23:54 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

ps3xbox360

Looks like Sony’s closing-in on Microsoft in hardware sales on a worldwide basis according to recently released data.

Per figures obtained from both console holder by IndustryGamers, PS3 has sold 41.6 million units worldwide, and Xbox 360′s moved 44.6 million units; thus, the gap between the two consoles consists of a paltry 3 million units.

Back in May, PS3 was 4.4 million units behind the  rival 360, which managed to sell an addition 4.3 million units since. Comparatively, however, PS3 sold and addition 5.6 million for the same time frame.

So, the question then becomes: When will PS3 overtake Xbox 360 in the worldwide market?

EEDAR analyst Jesse Divnich believes this will occur by the end of 2012, which he sees as a challenge for the console, considering the gulf in North America is widening at the benefit of Microsoft.

“I don’t know if the PlayStation 3 will ever overtake the Xbox 360 in North America,” Divnich told IndustryGamers. “Maybe 2014? 2016? We do know the PlayStation 3 has incredible long-term value as a Blu-ray player, much like the PlayStation 2 did as a DVD player, but with strong competition coming from the digital front, one has to wonder if the PlayStation 3 will receive long retail legs like its predecessor did.

“Unlike previous generations, I don’t foresee third place being a “doom and gloom” scenario. Even with it being in third place now the PlayStation 3 is an incredibly healthy platform. It all comes down to the active installed base; a company can sell as many consoles as it wishes, but if consumers are not actively buying games, they are not part of the installed base’s economic ecosystem. The PlayStation 3 doesn’t have the same problem the GameCube had with its third place finish last generation.”

As far as whether Kinect and Move will help promote each peripheral’s respective consoles, Divnich believes both are “fantastic products” but the success of of each will come down to marketing.

“I believe both have met the minimum quality threshold set by consumers,” said Divnich. “Now, it all comes down to marketing and third-party support, elements we know Microsoft is stronger with, for the moment. But the Move is in the right place, and just because it doesn’t “sell” as many units as the Kinect doesn’t make it an inferior product.

“Long-term, there isn’t any concern about the success of the Move, and much like what we witnessed on the Wii, this will be a slow burner that will eventually realize a large installed base over time.”

GameStop, however, is of the belief Kinect will outsell Move this Christmas in the US but one also has to consider MS seems to have put more into marketing the peripheral here than Europe – for the time being. Holiday adverts have yet to reach a fevered pitch, so it’s reasonable to expect to be bombarded by both by the time Christmas rolls around.

1. Erthazus

In 2012 PS3 will absolutely outsell Xbox 360.

Thats just a fact. They have a very strong line up next year starting from January + Gran Turismo 5 as a franchise that many Gran Turismo fans waited for is finally prepared to release this holiday season.
    LittleBigPlanet 2 should give a boost to Europe aswell.

and the last piece of the puzzle: FFXIII Versus for Japan.

Thats it.

2. NiceFellow

Space issues – as in most European houses don’t have that kind of space – seem sure to prevent Kinect being big outside US I believe.

It’ll sell well in UK, but given in UK rooms are even smaller I can only assume any initial fever for the device can’t last.

So, 360/Kinect seems sure to remain firm in US but I’m pretty sure that the rest of the world will tip the global scales in PS3s favour. Really, though, by this stage it’s more of a draw all around I think. 360 remains ahead but only really due to 1 year start. With Kinect/Move balancing out globally – probably – I think we’re heading for a big fat draw between the HD consoles.

3. dylanspronck

PS3 Game lineup is becoming stronger with big exclusives such as Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, Gran Turismo etc. So that should help sales.

Xbox Game lineup is becoming a little bit weaker because of the departure of Halo. I know, I’m not saying that it was the only good game, but it was a real console seller. So that’s a minus for Xbox.

Kinect is very appealing to casuals, but a little pricey. I still think it’ll be a hit.

PS3 Is very futureproof with Blu-Ray, Bluetooth etc. So that’s a plus.

4. Stephany Nunneley

“After adding all positive and negative things and putting them in a secret formula, I’ve got no idea who’s going to sell more.” – :D

5. Erthazus

“I’ve got no idea who’s going to sell more.”

Who have the best software with affordable price for a machine.

6. The1stMJC

Ok I am willing to vote dylanspronck to be VG247′s Pachter.

7. freedoms_stain

Given the early 360 failure rate vs the early PS3 failure rate, I wonder if the gap between number of active working consoles in use is actually quite a bit smaller than that.

8. OrbitMonkey

Why is this only ever referred to as a two horse race? Is it because the fanboys who actually care about this statistical cock waving are embarrassed that a *casual* console such as the Wii has outsold both the ps3/360? Ssssshhh let’s pretend it doesn’t exist o_O

9. ivycrew707

In 2014-2016 the Wii won’t exist. All the soccer moms will be playing with Move or Kinect.

10. back_up

PS3 will dominate in 2011
    It’s all over for M$

11. Dannybuoy

*imagines PS3 hacking down the door with and axe and growling “here’s Jonny” through the gap*

12. Robo_1

It’s something people should keep in mind when comparing the Kinect vs Move sales too. On the face of it, I’m sure Kinect will steamroller Move in sales terms, but in six months time when the worldwide figures are revealed, I expect Move to be a lot closer than people anticipate.

13. Crysis

In my honest opinion, the PS3 looks to have a much a larger incentive to purchase now, just look at all their up & coming AAA exclusives: The Last Guardian, Twisted Metal, inFAMOUS 2, Motorstorm Apocalypse, Killzone 3, Little Big Planet 2, Gran Turismo 5, Dead Nation, Socom, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Resistance 3, Dead Nation, The Sly Collection, ISO collection, Ratchet & Clank all 4 One, Heroes on the Move, The Agency, Agent, Yakuza 4,Yakuza: Of the End, Sorcery, DC Universe Online & countless other games that i’ve just plain forgotten, looks like a f*cking awesome couple of years for any playstation 3 owner, especially when compared with the 360 exclusives like Gears of War 3, & the Crytek game, is there anymore? not being a fanboy, i just honestly can’t think of any large 360 exclusive title coming any time soon.

14. G1GAHURTZ

The PS3 is doomed.

15. Herlock

Internal Studio is the KEY, SCE doing great!

16. cookiejar

Pretty amazing how far its coming along.

17. theevilaires

Oh boy when that day comes a lot of people better pray Garratt has that ignore button added to the site. As a matter of fact I think thats the day he’s waiting to add it :D

I can’t wait to post links of some user quotes here….I JUST CAN’T FUCKING WAIT!

18. Kuwabara

xbox 360 was released a yr earlier, so the ps3 is already ahead!!

19. DiodeX

who care’s, a lot of people have both!

20. DaMan

what, the brand which dominated the market for two consecutive gens, and at one point in time was pretty much associated with videogames in general, has been in fact selling at a faster rate? impossible.

stellar results in fact, they’ve been outselling MS since launch, 360 completely failed to succeed in JP, and now after 5 years the gap is at 3 million. perhaps by the time the next Xbox / PS4 come out they will catch up completely.

I say they should all get drunk now and have a party, bring back Ken as well.

21. Blerk

The fact that it has taken as long as it has is mind-boggling. If you’d have suggested to me back at the start of the generation that the Wii would easily be in front and that the PS3 would take this long to begin to draw close to the 360 I’d have thought you were on drugs.

22. The Hindle

How about this, Sony messed everything up, made mistakes on the same level as Sega or the 3DO, had no games for a while, had no online service, was over 500 quid roughly, compare this to MS who had the likes of Halo 3, ME, Valve support, Xbox live.

Yet despite all of this despite the fact MS had a years head start Sony will still overtake MS when in fact MS should be 10 to 15m ahead by now.

If MS cant beat Sony at thier weakest and most docile how do you think they can compete when the next gen comes around as im assuming Sony wont make the same mistakes twice.

23. DaMan

it ‘s sales never fell as low as with Saturn or anything like that.

for general public PS3 offers more value for it’s price,.

also, MS ‘ve achieved everything they could possibly think about, it’s insane to believe they ever thought about dominating the market in the same way ps1/2 did. they now have a brand that’s on par with what has been previously an undisputable leader, as opposed to being a total newcomer in 2002, at a time when Sony have been on top for ages already.

24. Blerk

That sort of depends on whether either of them actually learn anything from their mistakes next time around.

Microsoft have done much better than I expected them to but they’ve failed to convince Japan (not much of a problem these days) or most of mainland Europe (a much bigger issue). Their hardware started off flakey and they were too slow to respond. They shitcanned most of their internal development just when Sony’s was starting to come into its own.

Sony started off far, far too expensive. They had next to no decent first-party stuff for a long time after launch. Their hardware was (sometimes still is) too ‘different’ to everything else which created unnecessary problems for 3rd parties. They invested plenty in first and second-party stuff but failed to commit to their historical third-party relationships and lost just about all of them to Microsoft.

In my mind the two have converged so much it almost seems unnecessary for both of them to exist. In an awesome parallel universe they’ve kissed and made up and decided to release a single XStation 4 to kick the shit out of Nintendo. :-)

25. The Hindle

Dominating the market, they have been consistenty outsold by Sony ww every month for quite a while. If thier brand was on par how come they are only 3m ahead of the PS3 like i said they should 10 or 15m ahead.

Next gen for MS in my eyes all comes down to if Sony can make a service that is even to live as live shifts consoles every month for MS, thats what Sony should go far, as for Sony they need to make it more dev freindly get Valve, Bungie, other 3rd partys, WW studios in the design process

26. Callum

Lol Blerk…you can dream mate :)
    I am buying a PS3 next year when the HD version of ICO comes out. I’m hoping for a bundle of some kind!

Stupid that its taken sony this long to catch up, it’s not as though their opponents were doing everything perfectly!

27. The Hindle

Basically:

MS next gen = broaden thier audience, support new ip better i mean 4.5m in marketing Halo yet AW is sent to die not good, build some first partys, i know its never worked in the past but id say they need to change that. Reliable hardware etc.

Sony = No more uber expensive tech such as blue ray imo keep blue ray tho. Get the devs in the design process of the console, Valve are doing steamworks on the PS3 potential signs of whats coming right there, Unified online service and keep on with the new ip.

Nintendo = not arsed :D

28. DaMan

you have to have zero perspective to make such claims, 10-15 million at this point in time would be an undisputable winner, noone in their right mind would’ve thought 360 could even stay on top for years, let alone start outselling Sony.

totally on par with PS3. for one, it ‘s not like it’s been outselling them by a huge margin. also Xbox has become a well recognized brand, that’s being treated by both consumers and publishers on par with Sony which was the whole point of 360. the original was the first step, they now have absolutely everything for the next gen, it will be interesting to see who has learned the most on their mistakes.

29. The Hindle

A well recognized brand, what RROD pretty much destroyed that especally to the mass market audience, The PS3 is still £100 more then the 360 when it comes to price as well again its outselling it.

How do you explain that? By the time this gen is over its possible Sony could be a good 10m ahead of the 360 plus whatever GT 5 is going to sell in consoles. I say 10 to 15m because of the huge advantages MS had at the start of this gen, the years head start, the strong 3rd party support, back in 07 pretty much every exclusive was a system seller.

30. DaMan

Rrod issues have done no more harm than PS2′s DRE’s and the generally atrocious dvd-rom it had (I myself was forced to buy the second one only after a year and a half of using it, they’ve only partially fixed it at about 2003-04).

uh, without even going into some kind of deep brands comparison, like I said before for general public it offers more value for it’s price.

also, I would expect next gen consoles in 2012, as well as Kinect being a potential force to widen the current gap.

and, in 07 even the pS2 was still a threat to 360, it was still getting big releases, as well as the general brand image Sony had like I said.

31. The Hindle

2012 if Kinect is a flop later then that if it succeeds for MS, no idea for Nintendo or Sony.

32. Blerk

Well, to be fair it is only outselling it in certain territories. In the US (and the UK unless that’s changed recently) the 360 still outsells the PS3 practically every month. The majority of Sony’s advantage is in mainland Europe, with a helping hand from Japan. In certain parts of Europe the Sony brand still smashes all, it’s super-strong. Elsewhere, not so much.

I don’t think RROD had much of an impact on the brand outside of people like us who knew about it and understood what it meant, in much the same way that Sony removing PS2 backwards compatibility really didn’t make a jot of difference to the majority of people buying. It’s only really us nut-cases who live and breathe this stuff who even notice.

I’m really not convinced that GT5′s going to be a big system seller, just like Reach wasn’t. Sure, it’ll shift some units, but I very much doubt there’s a huge chunk of casuals who’ve hung on to their PS2s all this time just waiting for GT5 to hit.

33. The Hindle

True Blerk i think there is roughly 200k between them in the US, it was 40k before MS launched the slim, baring in mind again that $100 i think its that, as for GT 5 the whole of europe is probably waiting for that game at the moment, id say its more Halo 3 then Reach persionaly.

34. Blerk

I’m sure there are millions of people waiting for it, just not so many who haven’t already bought a PS3. We’re too far into the generation to see those kinds of hardware jumps now. I think. I’ve been wrong before. :-D

35. The Hindle

:D thats the crap thing though, we wont know if it sells huge amounts of consoles as we dont get sales data for Europe grr it will shift a fair few in Japan as well i think as for NA nah wont do anything.

36. Gekidami

Speaking of GT5 and mainland Europe…

Apparently 555,000 copies of GT5 are being shipped to France alone, including 5000 180€ Signature Editions which is quite impressive if true because its already sold out at a few retailers.

37. OlderGamer

Blagh blagh blagh … Go Team Go Team Go!

At this point, who cares?

I can understand the excitment and the fun in speculating about this crap when the systems first launched. But the only thing we can really take away from this now is that it is going to be a tight race between MS and Sony. A tight race. Meaning that it is going to be close and that the lead may well go back and forth.

But really. I mean really. Really, does it freaken matter?

38. Blerk

It probably doesn’t matter given that they’re effectively squabbling over second and third place. Nintendo won this generation a loooong time ago.

39. The Hindle

OG its quater past 4 UK time, im bored shitless, everybody is playing Cod, hence why im saying this :D

40. StolenGlory

I couldn’t give a fuckity fuck about epeening, fanboy emboldening sales figures. I’ll go wherever the good games take me; Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony or my PC.

41. reask

Wow just Wow,
    This must be the longest come back in gaming history.
    I mean just wait till MGS4, just wait till GOW, just wait till GT5, Yawn Yawn Yawn.

Japan is keeping PS3 in the game for the most part imo.
    Mainland Europe less so but helping.
    360 has done what it set out to do which was to break Sonys iron hold.
    2011 2012 2013, does it matter now?
    We are at the second half of this gen by a long way and Sony are in third place.
    @ Tea
    I will buy you a drink when PS3 passes 360.
    I should get it cheap with my pensioners pass. ;)

42. Crysis

In all honesty, i think the 360 sells so well in America because of how many xenophobes there are there, news flash: everything onboard the 360 was built elsewhere.
    Just play GTA IV on XBL & tell me you don’t run into one overly racist American, in one game, i was surprised their mothers had not kicked their doors down & rip out their tongue after the way i heard them speaking to a few German players.

43. daytripper

“theevilaires said:
    November 10, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I can’t wait to post links of some user quotes here….I JUST CAN’T FUCKING WAIT!”

then you are no better than them.

44. reask

@ crysis
    You should try been Irish if racialism is your thing.
    I stopped using my headset ages ago after hearing the same Irish joke and accent for the millionth time.
    And Americans are not the biggest culprits by a long shot.
    Pisses me off more so when it is my 12 year old daughter that’s listening to it from the usual brain dead suspects.

45. sg1974

“Japan is keeping PS3 in the game for the most part imo.
    Mainland Europe less so but helping.”

Eh? PS3 launched in Europe well over a year later than 360 and is now ahead of it.

While we’re on this part of the subject, I’m amused by the regular comment of “PS3 is only doing well because of Japan and Europe”. Funny how such people forget (or, much more likely, choose to ignore) the corrollary: The 360 is only doing well because of America.

46. theevilaires

@ Reask….Amazing how some people still count the Wii as a next gen console. Will you please give it up already. Stop trying to run and hide behind the wii numbers when hurricane Kutaragi comes along and wipes the earth away with your beloved 360.

LETS GO OVER THIS AGAIN:

NEW HIGH END GPU AND CPU = NEXT GEN CONSOLE

SLIGHTLY IMPROVED REVISIONED GPU AND CPU = SAME CRAP WITH SPRINKLES ON TOP (NOT NEXT GEN)

1. No one here plays their wii more than their PS3 or 360
    2. If you do then MOVE or NATAL is about to change that
    3. Seriously does anyone here still play their Wii? :D

Nintendo had their ass handed to them so bad last gen that their pride wouldn’t let them move on to a real successor until they wiped the shame away of even getting beaten by the new kid on the block XBOX. Hence the Wii (must try again) was born.

The Wii is a gamecube 2 with horrible motion controls that seemed cool waaaaaaaaaaaay back in 2006……when the graphics didn’t seem that shit cause we had all just either migrated from or was still playing PS2 games (FFXII for me) on our “backward PS2 compatible” PS3′s (since PS3 really didn’t have that much of a great line up….like the 360 at its launch also).

So please stop trying to say the Wii is in the same league as the PS3 or 360 cause its not.

1st Typical troll reactions: Well they launched the wii right after the gamecube,PS2,and XBOX and along the same time frame as the PS3 and 360 so thats why its classified as next gen.

1st TEA….”The Troll Slayer” clarification: NO IT DOES NOT! Nintendo is about 2-3 console system gen ahead of SONY and M$. They have progressively always added more power to their consoles to give them a NEXT GEN look and feel (A.I.) But not this time because they knew they couldn’t compete and gamecube set them back. As a matter of fact I’m sure the NES sold more than the gamecube :D

As we look at MOVE we now know that Nintendo could have went that route with motion controls while still giving us a NEXT GEN awesome looking Zelda and Mario on par with 360 and PS3 games but chose not to. They chose to stay behind the power next gen console race and dust them selves off from the gamecube failure.

SO THATS IT NO MORE ABOUT THIS WII BEING IN 1st PLACE BULL CRAP. ITS 360 VS PS3 ONLY. THE NEXT GEN CONSOLES HEAD TO HEAD.

Now Back On Topic:

M$-M$-M$, How can you have a 10+ million lead and fuck it up in such an epic way……oh thats right those FOUR special letters that all women around the world who long to hear from their boy friends that sit in front of their shitty 19″ Magnavox sdtv playing Gears and Halo all day…..longing,hoping,desperately awaiting for them to turn around and say baby…I…just got the “RROD” :D

The good ol’ karma show stopping RROD. I love it. Its bought many of us great laughter and many of the XBOTS tears :D How M$ got over on the general public about this still amazes me to this day….. oh wait the 360 main lead territory is USA….never mind then it doesn’t surprise me :( but I know one thing for sure it changed the race dramatically. Some will say its the main reason why PS3 caught up and to some extent they are true but make no mistake the name PLAYSTATION is too damn powerful, the specs (CELL,RSX,BLU-RAY) too damn great, and the FANBOYS too damn loyal to ever let M$ claim victor.

THE TIME IS UPON US FOR THE PS3 TO RECLAIM ITS VIDEO GAME CONSOLE THRONE AND CONTINUE THE HARDWARE BLOODLINE DOMINANCE STARTED BY THE PS1. LONG LIVE PlayStation! :D

47. Kuwabara

If the ps3 had been released world wide same time as xbox 360, at the same price, the console would be ahead by 10- 15 million units easilly. Playstation is the stronger brand name and most recognisable. Ps3 is ahead in numbers cause of the 1 yr gap, and the initial price, however even with the launch price, had it been released with xbox 360, it would still be infront, thats how respected the brand is. Ps3 will officially over take xbox 360 in the next 2 years, and when it comes to the ps4, it will be ahead from the start. There wont be a year difference and massive price difference.

48. DaMan

if Xbox would’ve been released in 2000, Ps2 would never dominate in the same way back in the days. Sony rushed it to the market, similarly to 360 . it also lead to the first batch of models being utter crap durability wise.

if Nintendo wouldn’t drop the CD peripheral project in favour of the cartridge based N64, Sony wouldn’t enter the games market at all.

If my grandmother had balls she’d be my grandfather.

also, Ninty is the strongest brand. the best there was, there best there is, the best there will be. noone cares about your gaming tastes.

49. Psychotech

Give it a rest Wii isn’t at the first place,DS is.oh wait it isn’t a next gen HD console.

50. Gadzooks!

Sticking your head in the sand and pretending the Wii isnt completely dominating the PS3 and 360 achieves nothing.

Ninty dont care if you ignore thier massive sales lead. It’s still there.

Also, putting whatever spin on the fact that the PS3 is firmly in last place changes nothing. The PS3 is still firmly in last place.

It might catch up to the 360 in a few years time, although I doubt it will because we’ve been hearing the exact same guff for the last 4 years and it hasnt happened yet.

Next year is the year of the PS3. Yeah, riiiiight…..

51. Gekidami

^ No matter how true that “spin” is? Are you really denying that the 360′s 3 million more sales isnt solely due to the year advance it had on the market?

52. Gadzooks!

@Geki

“No matter how true that “spin” is?”

Yes. Spin does not change the fact that the PS3 is in last place. That was my point.

“Are you really denying that the 360’s 3 million more sales isnt solely due to the year advance it had on the market?”

No. In fact I didnt mention it at all.

I commented on the current situation, how I’m constantly being told that the PS3 will dominate next year, and how that prediction has not come true 4 years in a row.

53. Filofax

@50 spoken like a true fanboy, and you have the cheek to rant about theevilaires. Does it really pain you that much that the 360 could soon be in last place?

54. Gekidami

By that logic Gadzooks, i could say that the PS2 is going to ‘win’ 2 gens in a row because, afterall its got more sales then all of the other platforms and still sells.

55. Blerk

I think there’s a very big difference between ‘taking second place’ and ‘dominating’. It’s absolutely clear now that neither platform is ever going to dominate the other this generation, it’s far, far too late and the sales are too on-par. The best they can hope for is to squabble over second and end up pretty much equal.

56. cookiejar

It doesn’t matter really anyway. The console ‘war’ is only in the minds of the fanboys.

With sales being SO close between the PS3 and 360, most publishers will make games on both anyway as the install bases are significant. PS3 will more than likely over take 360 in the next year, but it still doesn’t matter. Maybe only to Microsoft, anyway.

None of them, not even the Wii can hold a candle to the PS2. That I believe, is still the last great selling console we’ve had, and I doubt even the Wii will catch up to it.

@Blerk Exactly. Back when it was Xbox vs PS2, we all new which one was dominating and winning.

57. Gadzooks!

@Geki

Yes, you could put spin on the situation and claim the PS2 is winning this gen because it does indeed have huge sales under its belt. It’s one of the great success stories of the games industry.

That would be pointless though for several reasons. Current software and hardware revenue is virtually zero, and the vast majority of those sold PS2′s are in landfill sites or stashed in attics, as evidenced by software sales. It is not relevant to the current market.

In fact, software sales are probably the most relevant metric by which to measure the current gen.

Again, the Wii leads by a country mile. It is the undisputed king of this gen.

And again, out of the other two the 360 has a lead. Software sales on the 360 are generally higher.

Of course, the thing the platform holders really want to see is profit/loss, and the story is exacly the same for the big 3: Wii, 360 then PS3.

58. DaMan

Wii has sold over 75 million in less than 4 years, whilst it took PS2 almost six years to reach the 100 million mark (and 10 years to sell over 140). Ninty are very much on track to become the best selling one.

59. sg1974

While such debates might attract fanboys, taking part in the PS3 vs 360 slaes debate does not automatically make you a fanboy. Its fair game to point out that after two or three years when the main opinion expresed in this debate was how the PS3 had flopped and would never catch its main competiter the data shows that in fact the PS3 is actually doing as well, if not better than the 360 in pro rata terms (defintely much better – in any terms – in the whole world outside US), and Sonys often-mocked claim of a long game is proving good and true.

The only thing that anoys me abit is the people who sensing they were wrong, start to change the terms of the debate. e.g. Some of the people who spent the last two years saying “the PS3 will never catch 360″ are starting to say “the Ps3 will never catch 360 in America (and thats the only region that matters)” instead.

Yes, 360 is well ahead in US, and has a good margin in UK too. But in nearly every other country in the world where both are sold, the PS3 is in the lead (definitely well in the lead in RoW total), despite launching later (15 months later in EU) and always being more expensive. Thats good performance.

60. Blerk

It’s good performance, yes – but it’s not PS2-level performance, which is pretty much what everyone was expecting.

Anyone who though the PS3 wouldn’t catch up was only fooling themselves, though – it was obvious that they’d catch up at some point once they got back on their game.

61. Psychotech

Wii isn’t dominating the first place in next gen simply because it isn’t a true next gen HD console.
    If you think it is first place,think again Ps2 dominates.there are very few titles released on ps2 even to this day and it still sells.
    If you put ps2 aside from all this just because it’s gaming library isn’t advancing as Wii’s then you have to also put Wii aside from 360/ps3.get my drift?

@59 My main console this gen is 360 but all this bullshit that America sales matter or whatever is well..bullshit
    everything doesn’t revolve around America. it’s not the center of the world

62. Blerk

Nonsense, of course the Wii’s a current generation console. HD has sod all to do with it.

63. DaMan

Wii is a current gen console, PS2 doesn’t even have a programmable pipeline whatsoever. they’re uncomparable.

or else Dreamcast wasn’t from the same gen as xbox.

64. Psychotech

only in theory it is.it doesn’t fit with the actual standards of the 7th generation of gaming consoles.

65. DaMan

why, it has online, hdd, even a marketplace. it fits in every way apart from the visuals, might as well put DC alongside N64 that way instead of Xbox. it doesn’t compete directly with the other two, it’s an alternative take on this gen of gaming machines.

66. Blerk

What standards? Who wrote those? Nobody. They’re just something that the internets made up to try and discount the Wii because they don’t much like it.

It released within the correct time-frame, it is a currently-supported machine with a regular supply of software – it is a current-gen console, plain and simple. No matter how much people cry about it.

Edit: Oh wait, were you still talking about the Dreamcast there? My bad. But the theory holds – there’s no ‘standard’ to decide what’s a current-gen console or not aside from availability and software support.

67. Psychotech

by that logic Ds Psp Iphone have a place in the 7th generation and in that race.Think again.
    As i said only in theory.Just like in theory you’re an Apeman and my friend not so DaMan a well and good standing “developer” in practice though…

68. Blerk

Well, why wouldn’t they be ‘allowed’ a place in a generation? They’re machines, they play games and they’re on sale and supported. The only reason they’re usually differentiated is because they’re handhelds rather than under-the-telly boxes. But they’re still part of the current generation.

69. DaMan

those are handheld gaming machines, if you ‘re one of those who put everything together then indeed they’re. fun fact: all gaming sites list them as current gen, publishers treat them the same way.

they aren’t cause the experience is fundamentally different.

this is the third time you have so little to validate your arguments, you have no choice but to go for personal attacks or attempts at defamations.

70. Quiiick

I don’t see the Wii as a “current generation console” as well. I consider “comparable computing power” as a valid means to differentiate generations of gaming hardware.

But that doesn’t mean Blerk is completely wrong. It’s just about different views we’re talking here.

71. Blerk

Don’t you get all hippy on me, man! I demand an argument! :-D

72. Psychotech

@69 (it’s weird you taking on that post)little to validate?believe me it’s more than that you just need to think about it a little bit.
    I didn’t personally attack you chippy.i was just bringing up an example,no hard feelings.After all we did had fun the other day :)

73. Madeira

@51: Every 360 is used primarily for gaming- not so with the PS3. A lot of PS3′s were sold as the best blu-ray player on the market, and aren’t even used to play games. I wonder what that number is in comparison to the number of 360′s sold during it’s head start.

74. DaMan

i er, ‘thought’ about it in 2006 already, when similar let’s say, true gamers proposed such a theory. there were lots of whining back in the days too, seems like it went to mere depressed denial later.

‘hard feelings’, lulz? im just judging your persona by the posts you make.

75. Psychotech

@74 you “though” about it?you still have a long way ahead of you.
    i must say you’re not good at that.you didn’t partake into any psychology courses back in school did you?

Edit:but let’s refresh.Isn’t the article about the only two HD consoles that are availiable and how they fair sales?

76. DaMan

not me though, who has a long way to go..

i am, i’m just not into the same kind of conversations. sorry to disappoint you, dear. your points are inane as well as clueless. once again, you’re dull man.

77. theevilaires

sg1974 you hit the nail on the head. I’ve gather a rather hefty quote list of many XBOTS…sorry “members” from this site and others who will eat their words. And if you pay close attention one of the main culprits have yet to chime in on the topic but I’m not gonna through him under the bus ;)

All I know is Garratt you better have that ignore button ready :D cause its going to be a massacre.

EDIT: Oh yea speaking of that since the PS2 is still available for sell and the wii is just the same thing as a PS2 with motion controls (not a true next gen system) you guys who want to include wii sales can now include PS2 sales bitches which no console will ever TOP. PS2 dominates every console ever made. So lets add the PS2 in this race also shall we.

Funny how M$ has only 1 machine to focus on and still can’t get it right :D Where are all the games at for 360 people? What happened to all that exclusive power it had back in 2006? :D

oh and I love how people ignore the world financial crisis as not being a factor of why the PS3 hasn’t past the 360 “YET” $400 PS3 console vs a $200 XBOX360 console. Which one do you think most people could afford? Face it you people who went around the net during 2006-2007-2008 are about to eat your words. Just lucky for you we can’t all see the shame on your faces behind that monitor. I’m sure most of you have already made preparations to change your online alias too :D LET THIS BE A LESSON TO ALL OF YOU WHEN THE PS4 ARRIVES.

78. Psychotech

Then how come you have?

Right you’ve got work to do.We’d love to see some of it.Somehow though i can already hear your chair cracking as the new year is upon us so you better hurry up.

You’ll see my points soon.DullMan it is then, that’s a more appropriate nickname for you nailed it ;)

79. DaMan

@above that was a great come back. apparently not only you’re a clueless, but also not so bright one. you’ve totally convinced me now, thanks.

80. Kuwabara

I’d like to see xbox 360 sell even a million units with a $ 499 0r 599 price tag lol. Ps3 still averages more sales over all !! SO IT’S FIRST PLACE! wii is not a current gen console! hence it was priced low, thus causing much more sales, as it was marketed as a casual novelty!!

81. Blerk

Oh, I see – we’re discounting anything that doesn’t cost enough now. Just when I thought it couldn’t get any more ridiculous.

82. daytripper

some of these comments are very funny :D

83. theevilaires

I have to gree with Blerk on that one Kuwabara. You should have just stuck with my PS2 story :D

PS2 FTW! ;)

84. Psychotech

Also a bad liar.DullMan or LiarMan your pick.It’s deffinitely not DaMan

85. DaMan

nah, man. sadly.

although would be funnier if your name wasn’t that ironic.

86. reask

@ Tea
    I didn’t think I mentioned the Wii in my post. :)
    My point was that this Gen is over really.
    I mean whats it going to be?
    PS3 on 71 mill v 360 on 70.5 mill 2012?

The uncharted killzones MGS GOW,s have come and gone and still both of them are chugging along at the same pace.
    MS done what they set out to do as I said earlier.
    We are at the latter end of this gen and the dogs on the street know Sony failed to nail it big time with the 3.

Both will be starting the next gen on at least equal par and if I was a betting man I would give odds on that the current 360 user base will be more than happy to go with 360 2 next time.
    So game on really. ;)

87. Psychotech

We’re talking about you right now,you’re the Star of this site remember?you were the one who didn’t want to show off his “superiority” to others on the net.you’re DaMan don’t turn the attention on me.

88. DaMan

for someone who calls others ‘liars’ you put way too much words into people’s mouths.

it is but your own idiosyncracy, bitter dick ;). you took offense to the ‘consumer’ part then, that was why i mentioned it.

you should probably google some stuff about Kinect, or Uncharted engine. that way your posts will become more fun and clever, at least for many random visitors. so far, each and every one of them was quite banal, generic bollocks. at least your jokes will become more relevant then.

89. Psychotech

I never put words into someone’s mouth.care to elaborate?
    google?are you serious?is that how a “superior” developer like yourself is supposed to get up to date with the industry?You’re disappointing me chippie.
    Once again you’re avoiding and turning the attention on me.so predictable.I don’t need that,you do

90. DaMan

Shatner. that was a good one, up until now I truly haven’t noticed.

either way, to clarify, the implication was that i don’t need to make myself look superior to random users on the internet. you either deliberately or not misinterpreted my comment. truly a jaded, bitter old man aren’t you? anyway, knowing you, I’m not sure i should even bother. hope they ban you soon enough.

I’m going to go pirate Haze now.

91. Psychotech

you don’t need to make yourself differ from random users is what you really mean.
    Bitter old man?that’s a good one since you don’t know my identity as i know yours ;)
    happy hunting chippie

92. DaMan

look, er, seriously I don’t give a crap what you think, besides you don’t actually know who I am. and I do know your age (at least approximately). you’re way older than me anyway,

also, no that’s not what i meant. I don’t have any complexes like certain folks. and like i said, i believe it doesn’t matter on a site like this one.

93. theevilaires

@91 don’t waste anymore energy on that paranoid XBOT. The end is near and its the shame of guilt that he was one of the ass holes running around the net screaming PS3 is doomed three (short,fast) years ago. Trust me right now he’s shaking in side. I guarantee you won’t see that alias he uses now anymore when the PS3 surpasses the 360.

94. Psychotech

Still here i see.didn’t you have something to do?
    Sadly you don’t while i do.At least care to take a guess?
    Want me to let you have the last word?

@93 i do not waste energy but i do waste my time even though it’s a bit entertaining since i know him personally.He can do better that that.

95. DaMan

I do. i have an IDE opened alongside Safari.

also, a better question would be: you still here? it wasn’t me who got a perma ban.

96. manamana

S’cool how a (meaningless) headline generates traffic. Especially the ol’ red vs. blue or Beemer vs. Merc or PS3 vs. Xbox or Spy vs. Spy stuff seames to work properly for all fanboys.

Get both consoles or die, suckerz!

97. Crysis

Agreed with manamana, best of both worlds :D Got Halo & Gears on one side, Uncharted & Killzone on the other, but i’d rather get multiplat games on ps3 even knowing the general quality is often slightly crappier, but that way i know i don’t need to purchase another sub after my current one runs out, also scared of my phat 360 killing my discs, things get knocked & the tray was poorly designed :(

98. Madeira

I really want to like this site more than I do. There really isn’t a great videogame site option out there. Kotaku is annoying, NeoGaf is almost as annoying… but damn if theevilaires isn’t as annoying as both of those combined. Just the possibility of reading one of his posts is enough to avoid the comments. VG247 needs an ignore button.

99. Psychotech

are you still dreaming?seems like it

100. cookiejar

100th. Woot! Love me some fanboy action in the evenings.

101. JonFE

To all those quick to discredit the Wii as a true *next gen console*, let me remind you that it was the only console which offered a true *next gen* input device on release (you know, the one Sony hurried to copy) and, if only for that, it deserves to be included in the *next gen* list.

Apart from that, I see the fierce battle for third place still rages on…

102. Psychotech

@101 True.Sony didn’t entirely copy that input device though.They were on that motion controller tech way before the Wii days.

103. JonFE

@102:

Yeah. Just as Microsoft has been working on Natal for ten years, right?

104. Gekidami

^

105. JonFE

@Gekidami:

True, but that doesn’t change the fact that Sony was not confident enough to release it along with the PS3 as a main input device, until they saw Wii’s runaway success.

106. Gekidami

^ Wait, a “main input device”? I think nearly everyone will agree that we’re glad they bloody well didnt.

But anyway, thats not the point, the point was that Sony have indeed been working on motion tech way before the Wii days.

107. JonFE

Yes, a main input device, why not? It hasn’t done any harm to Nintendo, has it?

As for how long they have been working on it, well, point taken, but I’m sure tech companies worth their salt research a lot of things all the time (Microsoft had released a SideWinder with motion technology). Some of them are bound to surface.

108. Psychotech

@102 i guess you could say all three were inspired somehow one another.
    Eyetoy’s idea was conceived in 1999 and put in motion in 2000,Microsoft claims that they started developing Kinect 10 years ago.
    Move’s initial form supposedly for the ps2 eyetoy was presented in 2004.Wii remote was revealed in 2005 at TGS with Nintendo claims that development started in 2001

109. Gekidami

Why would you even care how much good its done Nintendo? Fact is, it hasnt done alot of good to the games. So yeah, i’ll stick to the normal pad for the main input device, if you dont mind. Gimmicks are nice, but not when its the driving force behind a concept.

110. JonFE

@109:

Fair enough.

111. sg1974

Madeira @73 – You’ve dug yourself a hole there. Its absolutley true that some PS3s are sold solely as Blu ray players. But how many 360s were sold as RRoD replacements? Someone getting RRoD has the sale of a 360 counted twice by MS if the console was returned to a retail point for replacement (1x original unit, 1x replacement) and there are varying estimates of how many broken consoles were returned to a retail point, most of which give a figure with no fewer than six zeros.

JonFE – Sony (under Richard Marks) started work on motion gaming in 1999, before even the PS2 was available. That included controllerless body tracking gaming. A working light ball controller was demoed before the prototype Wiimote was revealed. They may have responded to the Wii’s success, but they did not copy the Wii tech or input devices as you claim. Indeed given the age and size of the Sony R&D program and the fact it wasn’t kept secret, whose to say Nintendo wasn’t the one taking some “inspiration”?

Marks is a genius, unfortunately for him Sonys marketing department are not.

112. theevilaires

Gek shoots….he scores! direct hit on JonFE. he’s coming down faster than a crack whore’s panties for $2 :D

Alright people, this is the deal with the fanboy stuff. fanboys come in all different shape,sizes,and flavors. You got your sports fanboys, you got your sci fi geek star wars (SW FTW :P )-star trek fanboys, you got your comic book marvel vs DC fanboys (DC FTW :P ) and you got your video game fanboys.

If you own both consoles and play the PS3 more than the 360 you are a fanboy! Vice versa XBOTS! Nothing is wrong with that its all fun and games. its just friendly competition.

Its ok for you to argue over some guy who runs up and down a fucking football or soccer field with his sweaty balls hugging and tackling other men while you sit your lazy fat ass on your couch getting fat watching and tracking their stats and they’re making millions and your lazy ass is on unemployment but video game fanboys are just plain stupid right (Breathes). :D

Please stop the BS. Its no different. So the next time you call this a waste of time I want you to think about how many times you saw your fav football team lose a game and you were pissed. ITS THE SAME THING SHUT THE HELL UP. DON’T LIKE IT DON’T READ OR GET IN THE MIX!

Its fun to us. No one in here is taking it serious like you fucking soccer freaks when your team loses or wins(I hope not at least). So may the best console take the win at the end of this generation which ain’t gonna end for another couple of years so XBOTS get your Kleenex ready ;)

113. sg1974

“JohnFe sets up for a nice take off. He thinks he’s soaring high, look at him go so high in the sky…..wait whats that down there on the cliff!? Its Gekidami with an RPG and its aimed at JonFE.

Gek shoots….he scores! direct hit on JonFE. he’s coming down faster than a crack whore’s panties for $2″

Come on, now that was funny.

114. Kuwabara

I can’t believe the wiidiots here. How could u compare the wii against the ps3/xbox 360 powerhouses! The wii is not a simillar product to ps3/xbox360 , over all! By the way what is everyone trying to prove with the sales, who comes 1st, 2nd,3rd? does it mean what console is better? well in that case we all know wii isnt on par with ps3/xbox 360, and only sold so much cause of its cheap price and casual audience, with a last gen system. Xbox 360 is only infront because of the yr /15 months head start, while ps3 averages more sales and was expensive and theres no chance xbox 360 coukd have sold as many units as ps3 in the same condition. Ps3 would be ahead by millions if it launched same day. Who ever disagrees is stupid! ps3 is first place, xbox 360 second, wii …. theres no current gen nintendo. Ps3 currently has the best line up of exclusives, even with the 1 yr delay, and look at next year, the exclusives demolish the competition!! :) :)

115. manamana

@112/113 now those lyrical orgasms are what differs TEA from some bashing wannabies; he really gets how to nail it! Lol

Chapeau monsier!