ICO, Shadow of the Colossus: The Collection for PS3 coming next spring – first HD trailer and screens

Thursday, 16th September 2010 12:08 GMT By Johnny Cullen

sotc

Sony’s formally revealed the HD ports of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus for PS3 during its TGS event, known as ICO and Shadow of the Colossus: The Collection.

The collection will launch next spring.

A trailer of the games was shown, preluding a stage appearance from Team ICO boss Fumito Ueda and The Last Guardian. Get that below, via the US PS Blog.

Ueda also confirmed on stage before showing Last Guardian that both ICO and Shadow would support 3D. It’s also been retrofitted for widescreen.

He’s since also announced at an event for press that the version of ICO that will be added in the collection will be the European edition, featuring content not found in the US edition (via D’Toid).

Ueda also said “they were looking into” the issue about the US boxart of ICO, which didn’t go down too well.

Sony confirmed to VG247 yesterday it’ll be releasing the two games for PS3 here in Europe, with more details dropping today.

After months and months of speculation, the collection was confirmed in Famitsu magazine on Tuesday.

It’s thought they will be sold separately in Japan.

The first shots of ICO and Shadow on PS3 were released yesterday.

ICO originally launched on PS2 in Europe in 2002, while Shadow of the Colossus launched four years later in 2006.

1. HighWindXIX

Shadow of the Colossus in 3D and HD!?!?! Holy ****! I guess that 3D TV I just got really will be worth the investment . . .

2. osric90

This makes me so happy and I know as it’s a Japanese game, it will have much, much more quality than GoW ports (which were awesome but had the AWFUL cutscenes issue). I know it’s going to run 1080p REAL TIME at all times. VIVA TEAM ICO!!

3. Blerk

I’d forgotten how epic the soundtracks in both of these games were. The music on the Last Guardian trailer suddenly isn’t doing it for me any more. :-|

4. StolenGlory

HOLY FUCK.

5. Ghost_Dog

I’ve only ever played the demo ICO (I know, shame).

I can’t wait for this!

6. Blerk

Glad to see the Euro version of Ico is being used worldwide now. It’ll be fun to see the Americans spitting about the piston bit. :-D

7. Patrick Garratt

Screens added.

8. Dannybuoy

I feel a bit giddy

9. Patrick Garratt

I’ve just added all the Shadow of the Colossus screens there as well.

10. JonFE

Are you sure that 3D is not some kind of typo? :?

Other than that, this collection will tidy me up well until Last Guardian is released.

11. frostquake

HEY PAT…Did I miss this, will it have Trophy Support..Just Curious.

and THANK YOU SONY!

12. Patrick Garratt

@11 – Not sure, tbh.

I’ve added an HD version of the trailer.

13. Johnny Cullen

@11 It’ll have trophy support.

All PS3 games as of the start of January 2009 MUST have trophies.

14. xino

everyone copying the X sign from Team Ninja

15. No_PUDding

@Blerk, Yeah TLG music is a bit rubbish.

16. Blerk

I wouldn’t say ‘rubbish’, but it’s not…. rousing! Still plenty of time for that, though – the trailer music might not even be from the game.

17. Michael O’Connor

@11 Trophy support is mandatory at this point. Has been for for a good while now.

18. No_PUDding

I think it’s rubbish because even when more questionable or scary stuff is happening, the music stays the same 90′s-American-feel-good-movie, pizzicato piece.

And that’s passable if it’s in line with the trailer.

I’m happy the game is a more light tone though, it looks a little kiddy, and it’s great to see a departure somewhere.

19. Dralen

Will so be buying this on release!! Never got to play these when they originally came out, I was very tempted to buy it a while back but I thought I’d hold off for the HD re-release and I’m so glad I am.

20. osric90

Damn… Replaying those games in HD will be an experience. My vision got distorted when I heard the beautiful music… OH, MAN TGS RULESSSSSSSSSS!!

21. MushroomStamp

Played both, never finished either… just got bored

22. Michael O’Connor

@21 And this right here folks is why almost every single game released nowadays is a testosterone fueled gore-fest.

23. DaMan

maybe people just prefer to have fun playing videogames, since they have other ways for spiritual growth? games are hardly the finest way of doing it anyway.

a matter of preference.

24. Bleak Harvest

Had this on loop since I got home:

25. OlderGamer

I had same prob Mushie, only played the first. Wasn’t gonna do it a second time.

26. AHA-Lambda

@21 and 25 – yea i never finished ico. It didnt grab me i guess but i am willing to give it another shot for this rerelease

27. MushroomStamp

@22 and there you have it folks. People that continue to jump to conclusions to fit their narrow perspective.

It has nothing to do with Gore or Violence. I play a lot of games with neither.. one simple example.. Puzzle Quest 1&2.. there are 100s more examples I could give.