Pachter: Mafia II “well below expectations,” profit unlikely

Tuesday, 31st August 2010 07:43 GMT By Patrick Garratt

mafiaII6

2K Czech’s long-developer crime action game won’t turn a profit, Wedbush Morgan’s Michael Pachter has said in a note.

“Mafia II’s average Metacritic score of 74 is well below expectations, and consumer interest appears to be waning, as the game’s position has dropped in many best-seller lists in its first week. With six years in development, we believe the game is unlikely to achieve profitability,” Pachter said.

Whoops. Long development times are adding stickiness to Take-Two’s wicket, the analyst added.

“With longer development cycles, Take-Two has a profitability threshold higher than its peers. We believe that the company must focus on streamlining its development process and providing better visibility on future game releases.

“Despite a multitude of recent game announcements, Take-Two’s share price has taken a battering recently, reflecting investor disappointment that there has been no update on the next Grand Theft Auto, which appears to have potentially slipped to 2012.”

Take-Two will report results for the quarter ending July 31 this Thursday, September 2.

The conference call takes place at 1.30pm PST.

1. Gekidami

Make a better game next time guys.

2. Erthazus

Finished it.

Someone saying that it is a bad game or “Make a better game” not even played it and can shut the fuck up with his opinion.

But it’s not near the first Mafia game, thats for sure. But saying that it is bad is absolutely stupid. Especially when reviewers say that you can’t do much except of missions, that was a total bullshit, when Mafia II was never a GTA experience. Never! It’s like Uncharted 2 or any other 3rd person action game, just with cars and big city so you felt like you are doing this how you want and where you want.

But the main problem in the game that missions are fucking boring. Destruction of the cars suprisingly even worse than from the first Mafia and for this game there are shitty actors. + some other little shitty stuff like you can’t do much controlling your character.

But authenticity of the city, the design, graphics, car design among the BEST what i saw so far. 2K didn’t even made a solid mission for this GIANT city. Thats just so sad. They really need to make an Addon with the new character.

This game need an addon with the solid story mode and decent actors, thats it.

3. frostquake

Hmmmm, I was afraid of this. I couldn’t see Paying $65.00 for this game, I almost picked it up several times but just a little Hesitant. From the way people are explaining it, probably would have been better at a $39.99 price point here in the USA, but I don’t know if that was even feasible with the long development cycle…Look at Alan Wake…Long Development and within 2 weeks $39.99. I wished I had waited to buy it and not pay the full price. I will get this game but it must really come down in price…I really had high hopes for this style of game play. What is sad is that developers will stay away from it, thinking it is the Mafia that no one likes, when as according to Erthazus, not a solid story line…and boring is never good!!!
    Sigh :(

4. Yoshi

@2 You do realise you kinda contradicted yourself right?

The game is great, atmosphere, characters (main character is very likeable), city is all very nice. The missions are done well although some can be a little annoying, also some of the montage sections would have been nice to play. I havnt finished it completely, im on chapter 14 i think but so far its been good when *BLANK* dies because of the *BLANK* guys with knives I felt quite gutted. (No pun intended :P) ALSO when Vito’s sister gives him a ring after he talks to her husband is one ingame phone call I won’t forget because in that moment you see how the whole mafia experience is taking over him.

5. Erthazus

@4 It’s still not a first Mafia game. It’s great, but it’s not that great. No matter what you say.
    There are a lot of flaws with character actors, with some missions that are just boring and e.t.c.

@3 Storline is not stupid, it’s just actors are the big problem + Vito is like a puppy or a dog.

6. Yoshi

@5Please explain what is wrong with the characters? or voice actors?

7. Erthazus

@6 Actors in the game are just… Cheap. I felt that all characters are lifeless or there is just a cheap motion capture and emotion in them. The writing is OK, but just didn’t do something for me. I listen to the dialogs and was like “Well… Mehh… Ok…”
    Thats just sad. Critics about Mafia 2 were right in some parts.

8. mojo

2k should have polished that game more.
    i dont have a problem with tearing normaly, but in mafias case it was so terrible it realy disturbed the fun for me..

only played the demo but 2k said “dont expect more from the retail”.
    so i didnt. and didnt bought it.

ai like games nice and shiny, but i can cope with games that have problems with the tech, if the game itself is great fun. But mafia underperformed there as well.

9. Lord Gremlin

PS3 version is a disgrace. Heh, and since I prefer PS3 I decided not to buy this game… What was shocking is that demo on my PC even on minimum settings looked much better than on PS3.
    Well, considering the fact that PS3 version was created by some bearass studio or whatever I’m not surprised.

10. EscoBlades

It was a poor game. I don’t care who’s feelings get hurt by this opinion, but the truth has to be told.

I also don’t know why anyone was surprised by this news.

11. NiceFellow

It’s a decent but not great game with a fair few flaws.

It has a terrible PS3 version that clearly hasn’t been optimized (whatever the developer says I’ve tried all three versions via friends and the PS3 version is performing below what the hardware can support).

It’s been released just before a bunch of bigger games that, quite frankly, I want more and am saving my money for.

In short, the titles was perfectly set up to underperform. Well, maybe not perfectly. They could have made the 360 version a bit worse, although with the amount of screen tear, etc. I saw it’s nothing to get too excited about vs the PC version either.

12. freedoms_stain

If 74 is a poor game it just highlights how broken review scoring has become.

13. akrillic

@12 Yes! Also, scoring out of 100 is a poor way to mark a game.

14. DSB

I don’t know if it’s gonna bomb that bad, but I don’t feel like buying an open world game that doesn’t let you goof around. It’s very ironic, but I’m actually glad I bought Elemental instead of this.

@12 Was there ever any doubt?

15. tarniak

Pachter says Mafia II’s sh*t, won’t be profitable. And in the latest news:

“Mafia II goes top in UK with “biggest game launch” since R”

Oh lord, this guy should seriously rethink his statements in terms of video game industry because, once again, he “went full retarded”.

16. joshua nash

pachter is an ass, i never listen to anything he says cause it’ll generally be wrong in some way, i played and finished mafia 2 i have to say that it is a really good game, the story is very well done, there are some graphics glitches and bugs but nothing to game breaking, i found the whole game to be very satisfying, although the ending was sort of sad

17. OlderGamer

Seems like a solid rental.

Linear SP games at 60usd just never make much sense to me anyways.

18. theevilaires

Correction Gek:

Make a better game on the PS3 guys! Slackers.

(Disrespect PS3 owners next time and you’re gonna get whacked) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeY0iRGKKL0

19. The Hindle

The Sopranos what a show that was!

20. YoungZer0

@7: How is that the fault of actors? They do a good job giving lifeless characters life. You can blame the writers for that.

Also: The story fucking sucked and the game was not good. I have no reason to ever play it again. Hell even the Godfather Games are waaaaay better than this game.

21. Quiiick

@ Lord Gremlin

“Well, I suppose if console versions were actually good, with acceptable graphics and performance, it could sell better…”

Absolutely!
    I played the PS3 demo and was horrified by the ugly washed-out textures.
    Even if the story & gameplay is great, I don’t buy games that look that bad when compared with other games on the same hardware.

22. YoungZer0

@21: Don’t worry, gameplay and story are both mediocre at best.

23. cookiejar

I liked the story and the look of it. The physics were great. But it lacked a hell of a lot of other stuff that would of made it a great game.

24. kastanaras

I really enjoyed the game on PC. Really liked the characters and the story and the world just looked amazing.

25. MushroomStamp

I personally know a lot of people that would be interested if it wasn’t stuck 80 years in the past. Modern people don’t relate to these characters from 3 generations ago… yeah some people will find it cool, but most everyone I know has no interest in the “old”. I believe when writers go back to the past it’s because they have no original ideas in the modern world and it’s the lazy way out.

26. LordCancer

You don’t have to play something to decide it sucks cause that just be wasting $60 for no good reason. It’s not like you can trust reviews either. Don’t know about the rest of you but, I’m still not over the sinking sickness I felt when I got in my first car in gta 4. All the reviews said how great the cars were, the physics were atrocious and zero fun. Besides that I can never endure the boredom to 100% these games and frankly the last gta game I actually finished the story was vice city and I haven’t enjoyed one since. I’m wary of sandboxes not just because gimmicky mechanics and boring mission suck all the fun out of a game but, because the neighbors cat poops in them and thats just gross.

27. YoungZer0

@25: Yeah, i totally agree. I think people are kind of bored playing games that took place so many years ago. I especially can’t relate to the whole Italian Mafia thing.

I’d be very interested in playin’ some kind of Russian Mob character in modern times. Especially after watching Eastern Promises.