Sony E3 press conference – everything in one place

Tuesday, 15th June 2010 22:34 GMT By Joe Anderson

sonyroundup

Blimey where do we begin?

Read the full round up of Sony’s conference after the break.

Kevin Butler was on stage, David Jaffe came on stage and perhaps the biggest surprise of all, was the appearance of Gabe Newell from Valve.

In fact, you’re lucky you got this round-up so quickly because we all had to go have a lay down in a dark corner to recover from this press conference of rather epic proportions.

So let’s start at the beginning.

First up from Sony was news that Killzone 3 will be releasing in February next year, with full Move and 3D support. Not bad for starters, however much more was to come.

Rudely interrupting Peter Dille, was none other than Kevin Butler who came on stage, to talk up PlayStation Move and also throw a tirade of abuse at the competition.

It was probably one of the funniest things ever seen at E3, with pants being wet with laughter all over VG247 towers.

After that madness, came news that 40 developers and publishers are working on Move, 70 PSP titles are coming to PSP by the end of the year and also news that Sony are to release PlayStation +, a brand new subscription service.

The Megaton’s were still to come though, and when Sony announced exclusive content for EA titles Medal of Honor and Dead Space 2, as well as exclusive content for Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood and Mafia II  – the crowd when into rapture mode.

Once everyone calmed down, they were at least safe in the knowledge that Sony couldn’t top what had just happened.

Oh how wrong they were.

Out steps Gabe Newell to introduce Portal 2 complete with Steamworks on PS3, followed soon after by David Jaffe to announce a new Twisted Metal.

Oh – and Gran Turismo 5 was finally dated in the US for November 2. Finally.

Here is the full round up:

[pic]

1. Malmer

Awesome press conference. Very little new, but very well presented. And fun to watch, for the most part.

However, my non-gamer friend watched both this and MS conference with me and he was more impressed by Kinect. Which is worth thinking about.

2. Joe Anderson

@1 it seems to me Sony is going for the gamers and MS is going for the wii market.

3. Eregol

Somebody call me when Sony has a HD version of the GT5 trailer eh?

4. Moonwalker1982

Twisted Metal looking very ‘meh’ ,nothing impressive but glad that they showed inFamous 2, even though the main characters seems very annoying and compared to Cole from inFamous…sigh.

5. Erthazus

Sony did, but thats just it. Twisted Metal is an awesome announcement, but really… It’s not what i wanted from them much.

Nintendo just slapped everybody.

Microsoft? ……..

@2 Oh yeah, just Ripping off EYETOY Library with better graphics? and only for 149.99$

6. Blerk

Very disappointed in Microsoft, fairly disappointed with Sony, totally surprised by Nintendo.

The world’s gone mad, I tell you. I think I might’ve stumbled into a parallel universe.

7. Joe Anderson

I thought Sony done a great job, defo better than MS and just pipped Nintendo.

8. ExclusivesMostly

Sony > Nintendo > Microsoft for E3 2010

9. cookiejar

7 & 8 Agreed.

10. Anders

“Nintendo just slapped everybody.”

Please explain. To me, this was the first Nintendo conference in several years that I didn’t feel slapped by.

11. Razor

Sony won by a mile for me…Ninty was good, as for MS, just…what happened?

12. Blerk

I’m kind of curious as to why people are so chuffed with Sony’s show. There were barely any new games outside of the Move stuff, pretty much everything they showed was multi-platform was extra bits tagged on, and the few first-party games they showed were things we already knew about. And Twisted Metal. It was fairly solid, I suppose, but it was also pretty much lacking in BANG.

Nintendo, on the other hand, just kept on churning out the surprises, one after the other. That’s what I wanted the hi-def guys to do.

13. Joe Anderson

@12 I’m impressive with move, seems to be going more for the core gamer, plus Twisted Metal, Date for GT5, PSN +, Portal 2 and all the games announced before E3.

14. The Hindle

Plus Infamous 2 is new man was only announced a few week back whilst Microsoft just showed what we already know the same Gears Fable and Halo that they have showed since 2005.

15. The Hindle

Something i find intreasting is if Vs 13 was going multplatform then Nomoura would have tapped Mattericks shoulder so hmm may Ps3 only still.

16. Gekidami

@Blerk
    We actually already knew about everything Nintendo showed to. Even the 3DS was confirmed a good 2 or 3 months before.

I’d say its more supportable from Sony because the exclusive games they showed -whilst already announced- were only announced about 2 weeks ago or maybe a month. Its still fresh new content rather then finally getting footage from stuff announced last year.

They also showed that Move will be supported by Core games (even if optional) rather then everything being casual. Which is where MS failed.

17. Erthazus

Press conferences in Total:

Microsoft: DEAR GAMERS, you are fucking retarded and stupid, so here you go a bunch of SHOOTERS and for other stupid consumers Kinect with EyeToy Library and you can suck our cocks for 149.99$, but if thats not enough, here are some FREE Xbox 360 so our marketing campaign could work and you can all praise the Playstation Ey… I mean Kinect!

Sony: DUM DUM DUUUM. HERES OUR NEW GAME: MARCUS RIVERS. Multiplatform crap exclusives. Gabe finally admits that he is an asshole and wants more money. What is this stupid trailer about stupid punks on the taxi………… Oh, my… TWISTED METAL! Good.

Nintendo: You thought that Nintendo is crap? Wii is the abomination of crappiness? Well then, Motherfuckers here you go some TONS of games and if thats not enough, here you go some 3DS with launch titles like Kingdom Hearts, METAL GEAR SOLID, ASSASINS CREED, RESIDENT EVIL, Riiiiiiiiiidge Racer and with that you can go fuck yourself.

18. The Hindle

Sorcery actually has me intrigued.

19. ExclusivesMostly

Blerk you must have been watching a different conference than the rest of us. Though as the saying goes: to each his own.

20. DaMan

Blerk hits the nail on the head though.

21. ExclusivesMostly

@18: Strangely, me as well :)

22. Blerk

It’s probably coloured a little differently for me because I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in Move.

I think I was more impressed by what Nintendo did rather than what they presented, though. The one thing that’s seems to be constant over all three of the conferences is that I’ve built a very, very small list of first-party stuff that I’m actually interested in. Practically everything that’s looked even half interesting has been third-party, and that’s not exactly a massive list either.

Hopefully now the conferences are out of the way we’ll get a few ‘other’ announcements that’ll help ease the pain.

23. Gekidami

…Well Blerk, you dont actually own a PS3 either way, so…

24. Blerk

I don’t own a Wii either! Well, I do but I never play on it. It’s pretty much the same. :-D

25. zoopdeloop

Even if Sony didn’t showed a lot of exclusives we didn’t know about at least they showed a variety of games (multiplatform games mostly which shows their relationship with third party devs)add the stand up comedy with Kevin Butler.They pretty much targeted the hard core audience.As a show it was the most entertaining without a doubt…a treat for the eyes.

Microsoft focused more on the Kinect.they pretty much targeted the casual audience.

Nintendo focused a little bit on both.But their main attraction was only 3ds which seems to be pretty good…but i would hold my breath on it,until i see games and developers really making games for it.

We saw a list of developers and games…but that doesn’t really ring a bell.Microsoft showed some kind of an list last year for Natal(Kinect)…but where is this list this year?

For all we know 3ds may be hard to develop eventually and we may not see as many titles as we used to see in previous Nintendo’s handhelds…which then brings to the table that maybe 3ds won’t be a developer’s first choice when it comes to handheld games.Only time will tell….

26. The Hindle

Nintendo may have showed loads of new stuff but how much appeals to the hardcore hardly any of it. Same Microsoft gears fable and halo once again rinse and repeat. Sony new stuff thats why they win for me.

27. Robo_1

I think Nintendo had the most wowy moments, but then I’m still a little old school, so seeing all the 2D goodness was lovely. Follow all that up with the 3DS and the announcement of a new Kid Icarus title and I’d say they just about stole the show.

The Sony one was awesome also, but the Tiger Woods and 3D stuff dragged a little. Killzone 3 looks jaw droppingly good mind. The Move stuff like Sorcerer works really well, and the Heroes game was a nice surprise.

They also put on a good show with the EA exclusivity deals and the end double whammy of Valve coming to PS3 and new Twisted Metal put a good end to the conference.

PSN+ sounds DOA though, and I was disappointed by the lack of any more PSN/XMB feature news. Kevin Butler was fun though. :)

It was a good all round polished show, but you’re never going to beat a new hardware announcement, and certainly not one as potentially revolutionary as the 3DS.

The MS show was genuinely pitiful. No major new game announcements save for their work with Crytek, but we saw nothing of that. A total sell out to the casual market.

28. revolting

There seems to be a lot of praise for the Nintendo brief. I wish I’d enjoyed it as much as the rest of you… I found it quite lacking compaired to both the others.

I’m surprised by how much I enjoyed the Sony one. I usually find Sony quite clinical and too much in love with their hardware to tarnish it with experimental gaming risks. They’ve slowly turned that around this last couple of years, though, and learning from the successes of last year and beyond, this year they seem much more committed to partnering with quality developers and providing genuinely decent games. I still don’t give a shit abour God of War though.

I wouldn’t say I disliked Microsofts, overall I thought it was good. But it didn’t have the same impact as Sony’s. The same old titles wheeled out year after year, probably very good games indeed, but nothing I haven’t seen many times before. The only one that I’m really interested in there is Fable III, just because I love the series. Didn’t see enough of it, but that may be a good thing; less time for Peter to accidentally promise more than can realistically be achieved.

As for Move vs Kinect, I was indifferent to both. It’s so not my thing. I already knew that thanks to Nintendo, but this pretty much served to confirm my lack of interest. Kinect seemed more technically impressive, but Move seems to have more (and better) practical gaming applications. Neither are for me though; the one thing that would tempt me would be the voice commands for Kinect, because I’m a lazy fucker and geeky tech is cool. But certianly not worth the asking price just to bellow “XBOX PAUSE” like some olympian god commanding the elements whenever I need a pee. Would also be more meaningful if the thing played Blurays – I downloaded a film on the xbox once, and the experiance was enough to make me buy a PS3 for HD movies. Just try to remember to not utter XBOX, RED and RING in the same sentance.

29. Blerk

I don’t think you’ll get many arguments on the Microsoft front. The proper games that they showed looked good, but were all old-news. Then Kinect arrived and the arse fell out of the world.

30. DaMan

I look forward to watching ‘core’ gamers playing something with Move.

31. The Hindle

I want something new from Microsoft that doesnt involve stroking a fucking cat

32. onlineatron

I was very disappointed with the conference.

Mainly because they didn’t announce an ‘Team Ico Collection’ and showed no Last Guardian :’(

Still, inFamous 2 looked very good, Sorcery interested me, Portal 2 looked VERY good and exclusive the MoH and Dead Space 2 pack-ins were a nice touch.

Twisted Metal looked ‘meh’.

Plus, far toooo much talking.

33. onlineatron

Nintendo won.

34. Blerk

Hey, what the hell happened to Agent?

35. Petulant Radish

You lot are easily impressed, it was mostly things already known. all E3 was shit, no one ‘wins’ everyone loses. booooring!

36. The Hindle

Will be next E3 Blerk

37. Hunam

Core games are so last year.

38. Blerk

Bit disappointing not to even see a glimpse, though? No?

Ditto Last Guardian, but I surmise they’ll be holding that back for TGS.

39. zoopdeloop

No one won actually,…Some think that Nintendo “won”, the only reason would be the 3ds..but there are a lot of gamers that aren’t interested in handhelds at all.
    and i don’t see a lot of excitement for the Wii titles across the net either.
    It all comes down to personal taste :)

40. The Hindle

You have to buy a Ps3 for TLG Blerk those guys deserve it :D

41. cookiejar

Im guessing PSP 2 could be at GDC or TGS, then?

42. DaMan

heh, this ‘who won’ argument will be over when we see the sales figures.

43. onlineatron

Lets put it this way.

Nintendo have earned my £150+ for a 3DS

Sony… I’ll Buy inFamous 2.

44. Erthazus

Yeap… It’s not like a Wii titles are great… Wii titles actually was ok… But the 3DS was a Success at the start of the presentation, it was just jaw dropping with titles they announced.

Just look at the fucking lineup.

@Onlineatron, PERFECT. thats the same thing what i’m thinking about these press conferences.

but i’ll add + Metal Gear solid 3D and Zelda:OFT remake for me.

45. moon

Haven’t seen sony yet but from the sound of it nintendo definitely reigned supreme this year.

I’ll have to read up on this exclusive content that apparently got people excited. It’s really that good? Hmm…

HOLY SHIT. Was there nothing on Last Guardian??? Or is that in a later press conference? Or are they waiting for another bloody event? Because more information on that would most certainly have been a bomb

46. zoopdeloop

As i previously said that 3ds line up so far doesn’t ring a bell until we see more actual footage from these games and soon.

Snake Eater is already a given but i wouldn’t hold my breath…Twin Snakes on GC wasn’t that good.The original was much better.

an example…Kojima and other devs praised a lot Natal last year and kinda promised they will have something for us this year but we didn’t see anything…either all this was just talk(payed nonetheless) either is too soon.
    My point…3ds has potential but i would hold my breath until we really see…games and not just a list.

47. Erthazus

@46 It was a pay check of course when they spoke about Natal.

But actually Metal Gear solid can be on PSP 2. But i can’t wait to buy new DS system really because i know that it is announced only on frekin 3DS… It’s just too much + 3D without glasses, yes i didn’t experienced it, but marketing campaign worked on me very well. Graphics on 3Ds was kinda sucky, but still…
    Nintendo did also good work with the titles, yeah… they look a little bit outdated in graphics, some of them like Donkey Kong have great characters, but gameplay in 2D. But there are GAMES. G A M E S and not just games, but new announcements. This E3 was full of shit and without any decent announcement.

I’m not a big fan of Nintendo franchises, but they have serious names out there.

48. DJ Deathstar

In fairness i was dissapointed with Sony, why did they announce so many games in the last couple of months and not save them for E3, wow a new Twisted Metal and Portal 2 is now multiformat (which i had already guessed at with the whole Portal event thing) Apart from that they had a load of exclusive content that last year all the Sony fanboys were flaming MS for having and now lets see if they defend their own this year

49. zoopdeloop

Sorry Erthazus but i wouldn’t “buy” that list and literally buy the 3ds for now.Not until a fair ammount of games are being SHOWED and released which i can only assume it will take another year or even a bit more.

and off course i wouldn’t buy one at it’s initial price which wouldn’t surprise me if it’s 200 to 250$

As for the Wii they showed some good games,as they did last year too.

50. DaMan

btw, at times, I find the ‘hardcore’ / ‘not hardcore’ divide funny and nothing but elitist bollocks, not to mention pointless.

I’d rather call many of Ninty’s games ‘old school fun’. Infamous is hardly aimed at hardcore players either. or Crackdown: pretty much a casual game. heck, GTA3 was considered a casual title last gen. or take Dead Space for example, what makes that a ‘core’ one? the game hardly requires any skill at all, it’s all about the atmosphere. am I a core gamer if I play titles with shitloads of blood and quicktime events? it’s all pointless and vague really. in fairness, Ninty has plenty of stuff for everyone. it isn’t ‘core’ or not, it’s just your gaming preferences.

51. Roodee

Hey guys, I was just wondering and all…since like the main thing Sony was shooting for today was the whole 3D thing for all their games pretty much….how does it actually look? Can anyone say…? Is it really game defying, or will it just die down….? I mean, does it really change the way a game is seen? I haven’t heard anything about how well the 3D performs in some games, so if anyone can clear that up, I’d greatly appreciate it.

52. Gadzooks!

Well that was a very dissapointing show from Sony. A few money hats, and in typically arrogant Sony style, a lot of slagging other people off. A sure sign of lack of confidence in your own product is to concentrate on competitor products.

The only really exciting thing for me this year was seeing space combat in Halo.

Ninty had the best show without doubt. I’m very tempted to get another Wii. Kinda regret trading my old one in now.

53. Filofax

@52 When the hell did Sony slag other people off? I must have missed that bit. I did see them take the piss out of a few competitors products, but I never saw them stoop to the level of Aaron Greenberg.

54. Gekidami

He’s talking about Kevin Butler.

55. Filofax

@Gekidami I did see the Kevin Butler thing, but all he did was take the piss. Not exactly slagging other people off was he.

56. Erthazus

@52 Compared to Microsoft piece of pathetic fail press conference one Twisted Metal announcement finished it’s press conference.

and still i want to hear the price about that web camera with Eye Toy software with colorful graphics.

57. DrDamn

Surprisingly well from what I’ve seen. If you are in the UK then take a trip to your local Sony store and they have demo units with video of Motorstorm, Wipeout and Superstardust available. Some stuff works better than others but the 3D effect of the TVs is very crisp and has a lot of potential for games.

The downside is the cost of the tech – tvs start at around £1400 – the better ones £1800+. A lot of people don’t like the glasses aspect but it doesn’t bother me – I wear glasses normally, I’m willing to don a voice headset for online games already – it’s not a big leap. The tech the 3DS uses will not scale up to a large screen and has other restrictions like viewing angle.

58. Eregol

Lets not pretend Twisted Metal is a franchise that’s going to change the world.
    The previous games were ok. But not world beaters.

It’s not the IP they should have ended on. And lets face it. Was an awful demo, of a quite poor looking game.

PS2 era graphics on a current gen machine?

59. Erthazus

@58 it’s not about the graphics. Twisted Metal was not impressive in the Ps1 era too.
    Previous games were outstanding. (Twisted Metal 1,2)

It’s about the gameplay. It’s one of the first Car Combat games.
    If you looked at the graphics, then you are looking at the wrong way. It’s like you are expecting from Nintendo games like Kirby to have Crysis graphics.
    EatSleepPlay have 30 developers so there is no surprise that for the open world game like that + they will have a lot of cities and open world enviroments they have not so much of a graphics.

It’s not a Ps2 era. If you look at the Twsited Metal:Black. thats a Ps2 era.

Game have incredible gameplay and thats enough. Not to mention David Jaffe made incredible Multiplayer mode and that was a big surprise. Ressurection of a big Ps1 franchise from the REAL creators of Twisted Metal 1,2 games.

I’m not saying about Valve surprises and other stuff. I’m not saying that they are the best, look at the previous post, but at least they DID the conference.

60. Gadzooks!

No way, you did not just fucking say that!

You are the biggest pixel whore on this forum but now all of a sudden graphics dont matter, as long as it’s a PS3 game, right?

You truly are a pathetic Sony fanboy.

61. Erthazus

@60 I’m sorry. But you never played Twisted Metal Game. I said before here that i don’t need change for the VALVE Source engine or a classic that don’t need graphics. I sad that? Yes i did.

And until these games have great gameplay and variety they can stay with the old engine and if that old engine looks great, crisp then it’s ok.

when Crysis 2 have a hype behind awesome cryengine 2 and looks crap on consoles then it’s a big dissapointment. to each game it’s own.

Twisted Metal was always like that. But here it’s not just a graphics, did you see a trailer where you can even jump to the cinema theater and smash stuff with cars? It was brilliant and fun.

I still think that invisible houses are NOT a nice thing and i wrote here about it before you started trolling shit.

So please, shut the fuck up, if i was a Sony fanboy i would say that Sony had teh best Press conference and in my opinion they are third at best and did too much talking. They could have a slick one hour presentation and that would be enough.

But they did important annoncements and one BIG surprise among others. I’m not dissapointed and i’m not happy. It’s just not enough.

62. daytripper

twisted metal is following on a successful formula, ok the graphics are hardly awesome but the gameplay especially online has the potential for some really good laughs.

63. OlderGamer

The trouble with TM today, online, is that the game won’t offer enough depth to keep gamers coming back. The game will be fun for a little bit and then lose its charm.

TM was a very good/fun game to play last gen. I just don’t think it translates into a full fledged MP monster today.

Destruction Derby with guns. I think Flatout, Blur, Split Second, Burnout, NFS HP, and others(hell Modnation and Mario Kart), offer a more indepth on the edge of your seat/white knuckles racing action.

I think this is one of those rose tinted glasses things. Esp for the Sony Diehard Fans.

64. Gadzooks!

For your information I have owned Twisted Metal games before (my last one was Black). Quite enjoyed it and will probably get this one so dont tell me what I have and have not played.

You trolled the Alan Wake thread to fuck you silly little child and you troll pretty much every MS thread on this website. You made a huge fuss about 540p, even though Alan Wake looks better than most 720p games, so dont you dare try to deny it!

You are a two-faced troll and you know it.

65. Erthazus

“You harp on time and again about Crytek and Crysis, but when a 360 exclusive is annouced you call them and the game shit before anyone has seen any game footage.”

Ok, where i said that Cryteks game is shit in E3 Kingdom announcement? Please show me where i said that it is SHIT? ;)

“even though Alan Wake looks better than most 720p games, so dont you dare try to deny it!”

Because you are blind 360 fanboy. It’s not impressive. Same like Red Dead Redemption on Ps3 that sucks ass compared to the 360 version that has full 720P
    But when i saw Alan Wake it was just bad except beautiful forest, beautiful forest, beautiful forest, beautiful forest and it’s only on 540P. On my friends 50 plasma it looks incredibly outdated and it’s not just my opinion. Go look the reviews or Eurogamers DF.

“you troll pretty much every MS thread on this website”

Your imagination. I speak for every thread no matter what, like OlderGamer. I don’t care about your console toys, you can play with shitty Move games or ports or a cheap web camera for 149.99$ as much as you want. I’m a PC gamer, i don’t need this crap. I need games and thats what im going to get on a systems i own and will buy 3DS.

and MS thread is also a PC thread. So fuck off.

66. Gadzooks!

Awww, poor little troll got upset. Are you going to cry, little troll?

Troll is also in denial.

67. Erthazus

@66 then don’t feed me, you Xbox 360 Halo fanbot ;)

Still, where i said that Crytek with the Kingdom announcement is shit? Come on, you can do a lot more. Waiting for a link where i said that it is shit ;)

68. Gadzooks!

I’d just like to know what motivates you to troll. I just dont understand what satisfaction you get from it.

You come across as dick when you troll. Is that what you want, for people to think you are a dick?

69. Erthazus

@68 you done already with your constructive thoughts? Or you will show me

“is annouced you call them and the game shit before anyone has seen any game footage”

a prooflink where i said it?
    If you have nothing to say except your Psychological interest, then please don’t write.

70. Gadzooks!

You can hunt down your own trolling.

Clue: It’s in every 360 article, troll.

71. Erthazus

@70 Clue: “It’s in every 360 article, troll.”

No, 360 fanbot.