Jun Takeuchi “not planning on” Resident Evil 6 involvement

Thursday, 6th May 2010 18:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

re5

Capcom’s Jun Takeuchi has said that he doesn’t plan on returning to the Resident Evil series anytime soon.

Speaking with Xbox World 360, the RE5 and Lost Planet 2 producer said that due to the “extreme pressure” of following up Shinji Mikami’s Resident Evil 4, he will probably not be involved with the creation of Resident Evil 6.

“Yes, it’s true we did feel extreme pressure – and Mikami-san’s shadow – after Resi 4,” Takeuchi told the magazine. “However, because we were creating the sequel to this huge franchise we wanted to make our fresh direction clear.

“Personally, I don’t think I’m gonna deal with Resident Evil 6 at all – as far as the series is concerned I’m not planning to return until at least two more Olympics have passed.”

So, sometime after 2014, then we reckon.

Surely Capcom will have another or two out before then, though, and Paul W.S. Anderson will probably put out three more films for it too.

Via CVG.

1. AHA-Lambda

eh resi 5 sucked compared to resi 4 anyway =/

2. Erthazus

@1 They both sucked, but 5 sucked much more. It was a copy paste from 4th.

thank god that Jun Takeuchi is not touching a 6th installment.

3. daytripper

wouldnt be surprised if a new resident evil is announced at E3

4. Erthazus

@3 I don’t want that. For me series are dead. Capcom don’t understand what to do with the Resident Evil franchise.

Resident Evil 6 need a reboot and not just a reboot in my opinion, they must make it from scratch and spend 3 years in development.

5. daytripper

agreed i think a reboot is required. needs to be more like the first two in series obviously with improved AI, gameplay, weapons, graphics and story.

6. AHA-Lambda

i think they have said reboot for 6 before actually.

regardless though i WANT MY FUCKING ZOMBIES BACK!!!

7. Hunam

To be fair, Capcom this gen have just been playing it safe. They’re games on the MT Framework engine all seem to feel very similar to each other whilst being in vastly different genres. Just got that Capcom stubborness to them.

They need to start shaping up tbh.

8. AHA-Lambda

@7 – i entirely agree for me personally capcom have been the biggest let down for me this gen.

I was bored and also disappointed with dmc 4, i disappointed with resi 5, i’m crap at 2d fighting games so mvc3 and sf4 are both out and lastly I am just plain not interested in:
    lost planet
    monster hunter
    bionic commando
    dark void (well noone was tho =/)

i think that covers everything :P

9. Bulk Slash

I’m glad Takeuchi isn’t involved, RE5 was appallingly bad, especially compared to the nearly perfect RE4. I see he was involved with Lost Planet 2 as well. Perhaps that explains why its got a rubbish single player campaign that is ruined by poor team-mate AI… Did he learn nothing from RE5?

10. Erthazus

@7 Correct sir. Capcom really is not ready for HD. They are playing safe with huge titles and trying not to innovate or make something different with that title. they need money and they are playing safe.

they areally need to start doing things right, cuz for me they are starting slowly loosing a momentum.

Maybe next generation they will start doing things right.

@9 Re4 perfect? Owwwwwwwww……………………….

11. DaMan

fortunately. now maybe RE6 will be actually decent.

12. YoungZer0

Just give me a Resident Evil 2 Remake and shut the whole thing down.

Or make a last attempt at making a Resident Evil Online. Outbreak was not good because the consoles weren’t made for it. But this generation is perfect for an Online Resident Evil.

13. The Hindle

Imo people need to relise Capcom didnt even make thier best games last generation either, Mikami, Kamiya, Anuba and basically all the Platinum games staff made all thier best games.

14. zoopdeloop

@13 Exactly

anyway the series needs a reboot altogether.Resident Evil is about zombies and survival horror…not an action third person shooter. It just doesn’t feel right.

15. Monk

RE series is dead after the change.

16. xino

Good! the guy butchered the rest of the damn series!

We want a reboot, new characters and refreshed characters!

17. Blerk

I’m tempted to say “good”, but given Capcom’s current form they’ll probably ship Resi 6 out to some tin-pot Western developer who’ll do an even worse job on it.

18. DarkElfa

What they should do is remake RE2 and go back to the way they used to do RE, with pre-rendered backgrounds. Imagine an RE game with HD video Backgrounds and all of the graphical power put into characters only.

19. Blerk

Let’s not go too far, now. Pre-rendered backgrounds disappeared for a very good reason.

20. elronathon

I actually thoroughly enjoyed 5 in co-op. I had recently replayed 4 too and am starting to feel its mythological status is a little over-worked. There were whole sections of that game that I simply did not enjoy and the plot was diabolical…then again Capcom aren’t known for coherent narratives.

5 looked outstanding and, although I agreed with most that the control system was archaic to start, I thoroughly enjoyed it after a couple hours play-time.

Anyway, 5 was genuninely one of the best co-op experiences I’ve had this gen – beaten out by Gears horde (didn’t care much for either gears single-player btw)