Infinity Ward insider says the studio is “dead”

Friday, 16th April 2010 21:48 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

infinityward

A source close to Infinity Ward has told Kotaku that the developer as we know it is “dead” and “will continue to crumble”.

Speaking with the site anonymously, the source claims that the recent wave of walkouts along with the formation of Respawn studios by Jason West and Vince Zampella is scaring the shit out of Activision.

“They’re scared shitless,” revealed the source. “They never saw this coming. They can’t believe what’s going on. At first they gave us some bullshit about moving up payments of all the money they owe us to sooner increments.

“That was when [designer] Todd [Alderman] and [engineer] Frank [Gigliotti] left. But with the announcement of Respawn and all the people leaving, they just got there heads in their hands.”

“They fired the two most amazing leaders we’ve ever seen, and then shafted us all out of a lot of money that was promised to us…there is nothing they can do to gain our trust or respect. And I’m pretty sure they know it now.

A dozen IW employees have already left Activison, and the source says that numbers at the under-100-person operation could drop more.

To counter this, Activision has pulled folks from other studios to fill the vacant positions in hopes to start moving on Modern Warfare 3.

That won’t cut the mustard, according to the source.

“IW as you know it is dead…and it will continue to crumble,” it was suggested. “There are a lot more veterans who are definitely going to leave.”

For a list of the employees who have left IW since the whole debacle started, click here.

1. Maximum Unreal

We needed “insider” to tell us that? :D

2. Erthazus

I thought it was dead long ago. Pfff…

3. AHA-Lambda

I thought it was 13 people who have left not 12?

Are activision going to just keep the IW name and use the name alone for MW3. I don’t know why I am surprised to see that from activision =(

I’m glad to see the mess they have got themselves into.

4. YoungZer0

Well, that’s a surprise.

5. Razor

Not to pretend that I know more than this insider, but I can’t see multi-millionaire Kotick really caring too much.

6. DeSpiritusBellum

@3 I don’t know why, either. If it wasn’t for Guitar Hero and Call of Duty, Activision would be “that bankrupt publisher who doesn’t exist anymore”.

I like how even Zampella and Wests own supposed employees didn’t even know what they were up to though. Great leaders indeed. Those guys should get into politics.

7. Erthazus

@5 actually he care. Why bother with millions? Maybe he want to be a multi-billionare.

8. S0meRand0mN00b

and for all this we have to thank who?…. have a gues

9. Dralen

I wouldn’t believe activision if they said they weren’t scared shitless. They’ve just lost their lead developer, who are funnily enough devloping for there rivals at EA.

10. Tomo

Wonderful news tbh. Activision deserves some comeuppance for inflating the MW2 price alone.

11. Artheval_Pe

That’s what you get with bad corporate management. Infinity Ward wanted to do their own thing after Modern Warfare 2. If Activision had let them do that, they would have kept everyone at home and possibly inherited a new blockbuster franchise.

Now, they have a dead studio on their hands, and probably two studios to fill up in the coming months (Sledgehammer and Infinity Ward) instead of one. They still have Treyarch to do the bad versions of Call of Duty, but except if those guys do some huge progress in the years to come (something I don’t see happening with 2 years development periods), Call of Duty will end up like Medal of Honor in 2007 : A tired, uninspired franchise nobody cares about anymore.

Anyway, I can’t believe we have people that stupid running companies like Activision… I’m also puzzled by the lack of reaction from Vivendi management. Haven’t they seen that it’s time to fire Robert Kotick ? He probably served the company well, but the senior management at Activision is clearly unadequate, now.

I’m especially worried about Blizzard now, especially since the recent changes in organisation at Activision Blizzard, which have minimized the importance of the studio in the corporate structure.

12. Demiath

“RESENT wave of walkouts”? Incidentally, “Resent Wave” sounds like an awesome ultra combo in Street Fighter or something…