David Cage: Heavy Rain on track to sell 1.5 million units by year’s end

Friday, 9th April 2010 04:05 GMT By Nathan Grayson

heavyraina9

Heavy Rain’s weird and different. It’s barely even a videogame by traditional standards. Before the game even launched, armchair analysts forecasted that Heavy Rain would fall all right – and no one would notice.

But one man had faith in Quantic Dream’s wild gamble. And that man was… Jack Tretton.

Ok, Quantic Dream co-founder David Cage might have also believed his game was destined for better things than a life at the bottom of the bargain bin. Fortunately, he was right.

“We have sold more than 1 million copies of Heavy Rain worldwide,” he told Play3.de. “That was a surprise to many, since estimated sales were between 200,000 to 300,000 units. We estimate that by the end of the year, we will have sold 1.5 million copies, and are very pleased with the reception.”

Cage also acknowledged that Heavy Rain was far from a surefire hit, making its success all the more impressive.

“Our game isn’t an action game, it’s not a role-playing game, [and] it’s not an adventure. It isn’t in any one genre. When you create a new, convention-busting game to the market, it’s always a risk, both for the developer and the publisher.”

So, what do you guys think? Did the risk pay off? Is Heavy Rain everything it’s cracked up to be? Or will it just be a footnote in gaming’s history? A giant, caps-locked footnote that reads “JASON,” mind you, but a footnote nonethless.

1. Phoenixblight

Yeah You make that bar really High? Show ‘em whose boss.

2. JimFear666

Im happy for Quantic dream cause this game is probably the best game ive ever played since a long time. I really liked the story and the twist. I hope sony will ask for another exclusive at quantic dream..

3. The_Deleted

Got it on release day, however, still having a SDTV menat a lot of my choices were more guess work as I could see the sum total of fuck all when the options came on screen.
    Hopefully be getting a HDTV very soon, but I do wish developers would give us the option for either when it comes to text.
    Blur text on the demo is shockingly small.

But yeah, from what I played great game, up until you take control of the detective at the crime scene. Kind of lost interest then.

4. Robo_1

I’m surprised it was only ever projected to sell so few copies. Surely it would have lost money had it only sold 200.000 copies?

5. Blerk

Very decent sales indeed, they must be very pleased for what was such an unknown quantity. I can’t quite believe they expected sales to be that low initially, though – surely the project would never have been given the go-ahead with those kind of figures in mind?

6. kdogg

Very decent indeed considering the amount of replay value. Great game though (and well deserved), loved it.

7. blackdreamhunk

yea well crysis made a lot more than that

8. Robo_1

Sorry BDH, but I don’t see what point you’re looking to make there? I mean I’m sure it did, but it was also a more traditional genre (FPS) and was a showcase title for PC gamers, why wouldn’t it be expected to sell in large numbers?

9. Anders

Great news. I’m happy for them.

BDH, have you read this? Seems like Crysis suffered from “huge piracy” and sold in one million copies in six months, which is a lot less (relative to the time on the market) than Heavy Rain.

10. Gekidami

I’ve already clearly shown to him that Heavy Rain reached 1 million sales in triple the time Crysis did but he’s just ignoring the facts as always.

Anyway, ignore the troll. Lets not have him derail another article.

11. mington

yea well the Harry Potter books made a lot more than that

12. itsucks

By the year end we sell just more 50% than it sold till now, in 3 times the time it’s been available… color me surprised. not.

BTW, show real numbers, not shippment, lol.

13. The Hindle

Heavy Rain is like Ico or the SOTC from the Ps2 era it serves its purpose by providing different experience. Thats why Sony would have had its expectations so low. HRs sales give me hope that The Last Guardian will do well.

14. Blerk

I suspect Last Guardian may have a harder time purely because it’s fantasy-based. I hope I’m wrong, though – those guys deserve to sell at least a gazillion.

15. Aimless

I’d say that massive sales aren’t really the point of Sony’s output. Obviously they’ll welcome a product’s financial success and complete failures aren’t going to go down well, but a better metric for measuring the value of one of their games is its contribution to the brand: even if only a couple of million people actually play it, a game like Heavy Rain generates tons of mindshare and column inches.

It’s a bit like loss leaders in supermarkets: they’ll sell something desirable at a loss to get you into the store, ultimately profiting off the other things you buy whilst you’re there. Sony make money on every PS3 game sold, so it’s in their best interest to take a more meta approach to profitability.

16. Blerk

Precisely. It’s games like these that help to convince people who may already have a 360 that they could really do with a PS3 as well.

17. ianbenoir

heavy rain is amazing. I wish there were more games like it.
    Finished the game twice, with different endings, and both got me shocked. And i’ll keep playing it again, and again..