Super Mario Kart hitting EU Virtual Console on Friday

Monday, 29th March 2010 11:14 GMT By Johnny Cullen

SNES Super Mario Kart

Nintendo’s announced it’s releasing Super Mario Kart for SNES on the Virtual Console this Friday for Wii.

The game released last year on the US VC, but never made it to UK/European shores until now, so huzzah for that!

Go relive them childhood memories from 1993 for 800 Wii points.

Press release is below. Just watch out for the red shell while reading, eh?

29th March 2010: Start your engines for the original, legendary Super Mario Kart, racing onto your Wii on 2nd April 2010, available exclusively on the Wii Shop Channel!

Consistently regarded by many as one of the best video games ever made, Super Mario Kart on SNES was originally released seventeen years ago and has spawned five smash hit sequels.

Burn rubber across 20 tracks rendered in fluid Mode 7 graphics, including many courses so enjoyable and beloved that they are still featured in Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart DS today. Take on the original Ghost Valley, Bowser Castle, Koopa Beach and the infamously challenging Rainbow Road!

For only 800 Wii Points you can relive the excitement of going head-to-head with your friends in split-screen, enjoy the multiplayer favourite – Battle Mode or go solo racing against an all-star line-up of Mushroom Kingdom characters.

And it wouldn’t be Super Mario Kart without the sublime controls; power slides are super-precise and outmanoeuvring your opponents is still as fun now as it ever was. The only question left is: do you have the skill to dodge a red shell?

Remind yourself why Super Mario Kart is still as popular as ever, when Mario and friends speed their way onto Virtual Console this Friday!

-Ends-

1. Blerk

Ah, I love SNES Super Mario Kart. It’s still the best one.

I’d absolutely buy this if I didn’t still have my SNES.

2. WizardWeb

If only I still had my Wii. I’ve never got it to run properly on the PSP SNES emulator and my SNES is boxed up somewhere in my cupboard….

3. themadjock

Great, now get cracking on UN Squadron ffs and I may keep my Wii…

4. Gekidami

Whats wrong with your PC?

5. Happy Hardon Harry

It’ll be the shitty PAL/50Hz version the UK will get, just like many other VC games.

Personally, i don’t buy VC/WiiWare games as they aren’t transferable. If your console breaks, you’re fucked, with no way of getting the games you paid for back.

It’s bullshit.

6. scratchy69

“Childhood memories”? If only that were true. I don’t even think teenage memories can be applied in my case. :(

7. Blerk

I was 21 in 1993. :-)

8. Mauller

Old man Blerk. I was still 12. I’d still rather have this as an actual cartridge. I’d still have it if someone hadn’t stolen some of my SNES games, including Mario Kart. Now I just have the empty box and instructions. I’ll eventually get around to replacing it from EBay I suppose.

9. Bulk Slash

@5 Good point, I hate the sluggish PAL speed of so many VC games. I was playing VC Mario World the other day and the whole game reacted differently compared to playing the NTSC version.

SMK is probably my third favourite in the series after Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart 64, mainly because 150cc on SMK is really hard!

10. Johnny Cullen

Fuck me, I only turned 2 a couple of weeks before it came out. :/

11. Blerk

Bless!

/ruffles Johnny’s hair

12. Johnny Cullen

:D

13. Craymen Edge

I’m just surprised to learn it wasn’t already available.