The Witcher 2 heading to consoles

Thursday, 25th March 2010 15:13 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

thewitcher

CD Projekt has revealed during its spring conference today, that The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings will be heading to consoles as well as PC.

This means that for the first time, PS3 and Xbox 360 owners will be able to play as Geralt on their consoles – which confirms what senior producer Tomasz Gop told GRY-OnLine back in September of last year.

Originally, the first Witcher game was slated to land on consoles with the subtitle Rise of the White Wolf. However, it was canceled along with an unnamed Witcher project due to the economic climate forcing the studio make some cut-backs.

The Witcher 2 has been floating around for sometime now, but was only formally announced this week.

It’s slated for release in 2011.

Thanks, TomisH.

1. Moonwalker1982

2. Blerk

Yay! \o/

Aaaaaaand cue loads of PC guys moaning about ‘dumbing down’. :-)

3. theevilaires

About damn time I’m looking forward to this game!

4. Moonwalker1982

I hope for the PC people it won’t get dumbed down though, but personally i don’t care for the PC version. I’m completely done with PC games, for a long long time now.
    And thus i’m very glad it’s coming for the consoles too.

5. Soong

I’ll believe when I see it. Like the article says, part 1 was also 100% definitely confirmed for consoles ;)

6. Michael O’Connor

Part 1 was never 100% confirmed for consoles. That was a late decision, one which eventually fell apart.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re working on this in tandem to ensure its release. I just hope the PC version doesn’t get conpromised in its mechanics and its aesthetics in the process. The original is a wonderful game.

7. Mike

I’ve been a conslol boy all my life. But Witcher is a PC game.

8. joshua nash

here we go again, i’m not holding out any hope for this cause i had hope for the first game coming to the consoles but sadly money problems stopped it from happening, and now i wait for news that they pulled the plug on the console version of witcher 2 for some random reason

9. TomisH

To add fuel to the fire – the presentatation of the game was carried out using a gamepad ;]

10. Blerk

Actually, I hope the PC version doesn’t get gimped. Mostly because I hope the console version isn’t dumbed down either.

11. RomaTotti10

If the PC version gets dumbed down and the game suffer from this then I simply won’t buy the game.

Dragon Age Origins II will also be release next year so I might get that instead.

12. one million

European RPGs have a terrible record on consoles. Can’t see Witcher being any different, the first game was, by console standards, very unpolished.

13. Erthazus

Actually, be ready for a sucky port from Polish developers.

I really, really recommend you to play this game ONLY on PC.

14. DaMan

#13 is right actually.

the console versions will likely be disastrous, especially the PS3 one.

15. Demiath

I wouldn’t be surprised if the console ports don’t turn out to be quite as polished and optimized as one might hope (then again, it’s not like there’s some kind of universal law stating that a console port inevitably must suck – it’s just that most developers so far haven’t bothered trying).

But even if Witcher 2 becomes a technologically somewhat underwhelming product on the consoles (though surely not on the PC, given CD Projekt’s track record as hardcore PC developers), this is still a great day for all of us who want to experience a really grim and atmospheric action RPG from one of Europe’s most ambitious developers without being forced to buy an expensive PC to do so…

16. Phoenixblight

17. DaMan

was DAO made by eastern european devs?

18. Blerk

DAO was better on console than PC? I find that kind of hard to believe.

19. Phoenixblight

Yes it was go to the forums look at PC support compared to the console version.

PC version was loaded with bugs and issues where the console versions didn’t have as many issues.

20. Hunam

That’s your basis? The fact that the PC has more /reported/ bugs than the console versions?

Nevermind the fact the control, graphics, audio and gameplay were miles ahead, it just has a few more bugs. :|

21. BULArmy

It is coming to the consoles but the main focus is on the PC and in the dev diary they say that. So I think the game will not be dumbed down. And unlike other PC gamers I want everyone to play but as a PC elitist I also don’t want the games to be dumbed down i oreder to be liked by almost all.

22. Phoenixblight

The gameplay was different but thats subjective I prefered the COnsole version of DAO over the PC.

Yes that is my basis On the PC tech there is 11000 where both the consoles equal to maybe 2000.

23. Hunam

That’s because each PC is made up of different components. Most of them will be hardware compatibility issues rather than game bugs.

On the console you couldn’t flat pause the game and assign tactics to everyone then restart, you had to hop between characters and manually pause it for each one, losing valuable time on the moves. Then there is the fact the 360 version looks ugly and the PS3 version has a pretty awful frame rate. It was built from the ground up as a PC game then ported to consoles, and it’s really rather evident.

24. Phoenixblight

Again its a preference I set up the tactics so I don’t have to keep switching them in and out between fights. If they are doing something I don’t want its a simple press a button and fix it myself.

I prefer sitting on my couch with a 52 inch bravia and surround sound when I play videogames instead of being cramped at a computer to play.

25. Hunam

Why do people always assume PC gamers are cramped up? That’s the most annoying stereotype. I have a proper exec chair. More comfy than a sofa I’ll have you know.

26. Phoenixblight

Did I ever say PC gamers were cramped? No… I said I wouldn’t like to be cramped. If I had the money for exec chair it would be going toward a new couch.

27. Herlock

“DAO says hello infact the ports for the consoles turned out better for the console than the PC.”

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
    Really…

28. AssAssIn0009

now this is bad news :(

29. Stephany Nunneley

@24 & 25 – You can always hook your PC up to your 52″ Samsung with a wireless keyboard, mouse, and laptable and enjoy PC gaming like I do in comfort of the big fluffy chair and ottoman :-D

30. Demiath

@Phoenixblight: It’s perfectly fine by me if you happen to prefer a certain bodily position while playing games (although in my experience both coaches and sofas detract more than they add to one’s overall enjoyment of games). However, pretending that the huge and extensively documented gulf (see Eurogamer/Digital Foundry’s Face-Off comparisons, for example) in both technical quality and interface design between the PC and console versions of DA:O simply doesn’t exist is disingenuous at best…

31. Phoenixblight

Of course the PC will look beter, I never said otherwise. I am not a fan of the whole isometeric view and the MMO style controls.

My wife would murder me. Not only am I controlling the TV but also the Comp. We have a give and take relationship, I get the TV, she gets the comp or vice versa.

32. YoungZer0

And wrong Michael, they wanted to release an updated version of the first Witcher for Consoles. But it was eventually canceled due to budget reasons.

33. Moonwalker1982

Playing this on PC is no option for me…i simply ain’t gonna buy a complete PC to play one game, While i am a real console gamer. I highly doubt a laptop will be able to run it decently, so i am hoping the console versions will be worth it. And not like the console version of Risen, that was so damn bad compared to the PC version.

As for The Witcher, recently i tried the demo on my laptop, but what the hell? Three times in a row..the demo simply shut down my laptop after like 5 minutes into the demo. Is it Windows Vista that is the problem? Or is it the demo? This is crazy.

34. Phoenixblight

The Demo is not updated so it has all the original bugs not only that but Witcher doesn’t play well on Vista. It constantly crashes on Vista especially when loading a level or saving.

35. Stephany Nunneley

SO that’s why it played so bad on the laptop. My damn Vista!

/shakes fist at Gates and ASUS