BFBC2 servers back up, more PC players than each console

Saturday, 6th March 2010 16:17 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

bfbc2

Note that this is compared to each console separately, not both PS3 and Xbox 360 combined. Still – that’s an interesting bit of information, there.

Also, the multiplayer servers for PC and PS3 are back up and running after a bit of a snafu yesterday.

Apparently, EA found the issue and put a fix in place and brought the servers back online.

According to a post, the developers are aware that there are still “a number of remaining disconnect issues on PC” and have released the “R5” server to hosts to address some of the disconnects.

Work on the fix is ongoing, and if you have any questions or are looking for a solution, checkout this post.

EA also noted that BFBC2 was “so popular that yesterday the concurrent users in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 surpassed that in Battlefield 2 which has been going strong for almost 5 years”.

That is popular indeed.

The game was released this week, and the reviews so far scream “got to buy it, got to buy it”.

1. Wakkum

Good for them. Activision is probably all kinds of pissed off.

2. Johnny Cullen

Seriously, in terms of multiplayer, this is miles better then Modern Warfare 2.

And I mean MILES.

A lot more fun too. :D

3. Psychotext

4. humanfish

I’m working on a statcard for it, getting there slowly.

5. DeSpiritusBellum

#3 said it.

It also doesn’t say how many are actually playing.

I’m very positively surprised by the single player portion of the game though. Even if it is all “borrowed” from Call of Duty, you can always gorge on that sort of chaotic action. I haven’t tried multiplayer yet, and I’m kinda dreading it since the beta was completely awful, but if the finished product surprises me as much as the campaign, this is one fierce shooter indeed.

I’m pretty sure I’m gonna miss the matchmaking system from CoD though. I was sceptical at first, but having tried it I’d rather just be pressing a button that says “Kill Stuff Now” than looking a thousand nonsensically named servers.

6. absolutezero

doom pirates end of the platform boooooo

Wheres loki?

More people playing on PC than console = failure apparently. Well nice try Dice.

7. subversus

According to developers twitter BFBC2 has already sold more than BFBC1 (more than 2 million copies approx) and it’s only in NA.

So, suck it up.

8. absolutezero

You must be wrong!

If there is an active player base buying games on the PC then that means some major publishers might have lied to us.

HOW CAN THIS BE?!?

9. Gekidami

PC and PS3 servers are back up? Well thats nice and all but what about the 360 ones? I havent been able to find a game since i got it.

10. Dralen

I’m addicted!!! The only reason I’ve stopped playing this is because I gotta eat :P. It’s brilliant on the PC, maybe not as optimised as MW2, but fantastic team action. What I love the most about it, is that its about the team rather than the selfish gameplay of MW2. Oh and to the earlier people worrying about missing matchmaking. There’s a “Play Now” option that throws you straight into a random server, depending on the options you select for it.

11. stretch215

@ 5 : you’re right, the beta was terrible, but the finished product (mp) is awesome. I haven’t even started the single player yet

12. polygem

@5: yes. forget the beta. the mp is unbelieveable. this is the best mp shooter yet. i´m absolutely addicted to it. haven´t had that much fun online in ages. i really hope that this game will sell well so it will get long term support and dice will create another one. this wont be goty, but in my opinion it would absolutely deserve it. it´s pure gold and a game that you will play for a long long time.

13. David Sarkisjan

This game is eating all my time.

14. Droid

There are SO many problems with this game… the list is almost endless, yet I still love it. =/ Hopefully they start pumping out a few patches.

15. Michael O’Connor

“I wonder how this sold in general. I’m not entirely sure that the PC version having more players than the console versions is a good indication for them.”

PC games that work for the format sell just as well as those on consoles. This game works on consoles, but it’s home is on the PC, and the fans of it are more than they well aware of it. This is likely selling by the bucket-loads.

Based on the leaderboards, there are *at least* 300,000 people playing this game online on the 360, and I would imagine the figure is only slightly lower on PS3. So that’s at least over half a million people on consoles. So if more people are playing it on PC than both consoles combined…

…yeah, PC gaming is totally dying! *rolls eyes*

16. loki

“DICE has said that so far, more people have been playing the PC version of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 than on the console.”
    There are two options:
    1. Dice lying, because obviously done exactly that sales of PC ports do not exceed the sales of the Xbox 360 or PS3
    2.Instead what to buy the game for one of three platforms, players download it from torrents and play for free

PS PC ports sucks again

17. Michael O’Connor

“Dice lying, because obviously done exactly that sales of PC ports do not exceed the sales of the Xbox 360 or PS3″

It isn’t a PC port. It was designed with the PC in mind. The console versions are the ports.

18. Hunam

Zing you fuckos!

19. Psychotext

Not arguing with that, but the last PC FPS I saw doing equivalent to console numbers was Episode 2. Even Left 4 Dead did better on the 360 than it did on PC… and that’s with Valve’s unmatched PC fanbase. I’m really struggling to think of any recent multiplatform FPS that sold better on the PC than it did on the 360… at least any of the ones that were considered mainstream successes.

But I guess it wont be long before we see how it’s actually done, at retail at least.

20. NiceFellow

@19 how do you know L4D on 360 sold more? I’m genuinely curious as I thought Valve didn’t release Steam sales numbers.

21. The Hindle

Hasn’t Dragon Age sold more on the PC as its catered to Biowares long term fans.

22. Psychotext

They don’t NF, but they did release total sales figures, and 360 sales figures were released in another article.

23. DeSpiritusBellum

@11/12 Thanks a lot for the input, now I’m really excited to start the multiplayer. If it’s as good as you say, MW2 is gonna get the silent treatment for sure.

24. Demiath

I don’t own a gaming PC anymore and couldn’t care less about multiplayer-oriented militaristic shooters, but as an oldtime PC nerd this kind of news just warms my heart regardless. The death of gaming on real computers has indeed been greatly exaggerated…

25. Kalain

The Game and HMV stores by where I live have sold of of BFBC2 for the PC and aren’t getting more stock in till next wednesday/thursday.

Also, didn’t L4D1 sell much more on the PC? I do remember reading that the PC version sold far more than the 360 version. And total sales figures aren’t worth squat when console games are £10 – £20 higher than the PC variants. So because L4D1 had more income from the 360 version doesn’t mean it sold more than the PC version.