Assassin’s Creed II PC needs internet connection

Thursday, 18th February 2010 09:08 GMT By Johnny Cullen

assassinscreed26

Getting Assassin’s Creed II for PC? Better hope you have an decent internet connection, otherwise the game’s DRM kicks you off of it.

PC Gamer‘s revealed a net connection will be needed if you need to play it. Get disconnected and you may just lose your progress if you’ve not gone through a checkpoint or saved

This ain’t going to end well.

The title’s UK release is for March 5, with a US release on March 16. It’ll be a director’s cut of the game, featuring the full edition and the two packs of DLC released so far, The Battle of Forli and Bonfire of the Vanities.

The latter of which releases later today for PlayStation Network and Xbox Live. Get all the details of which here.

1. Blerk

That’s…. stupid! Online activation I can just about understand, but requiring you to be connected all the time just to play? What the hell’s that all about?

2. DJ Deathstar

Possibly the worst idea ever

3. johnnywashngo

I would like to say that people who don’t want or support this should make their opinions known by not buying the game, but I know that some people will buy it anyway, the suits will consider it a success and we can look forward to this kind of treatment from here on in.

4. Harry

It almost seems Ubisoft is trying to kill sales of its own PC games, so it can then justify dropping the format.

5. Grimrita

Then they will complain that PC sales were low….I wonder why.

6. endgame

kind of drastic. it won’t affect most ppl like us who r connected all the time but still.. those who aren’t, will just have to dl the pirated copy of the game. it’s not like it won’t be out at the same time the game will. :D

7. Erthazus

This is because of Piracy. Its a system with saving.

8. Pyrix

I’ve never understood things like this. It will harm the legitimate consumer yet the pirates will easily find a way around it, meaning that in the end it only puts off people buying the game, probably turning even more onto piracy.

9. Droid

Exactly. The reason games don’t sell well on the PC is because usually they are poor console ports, so they dont deserve to sell well. If the developers actually put some work into it and polished these games properly for PC’s their sales would reflect this. They never blame themselves for bad games, they always blame piracy. Pathetic.

10. blackdreamhunk

Anything to screw pc gaming and pc gamers over huh. People wonder why pc gamers don’t like consoles. This is just garbage sorry I am never ever going to buy a console ever. The day pc gaming market crashies you can kiss gaming good bye.

ubisoft is a company that never really respected pc gamers in the first.

the more I read the more I am starting to hate the whole gaming Industry! it’s a joke!

11. pleasant_cabbage

I knew it was the console’s fault. I couldn’t possibly work out how it was but I knew it. Thanks for the confirmation.

12. Gekidami

Ubi will ‘respect’ PC gamers when they respect Ubi, in other words not pirate all their shit.

13. blackdreamhunk

how about this when the entire gaming market crashies game devs will respect pc gamers! how about this when game devs lose thier jobs they will respect pc gamers

I have said it once and I will say it agin pc gaming is the life blood of gaming!

14. blackdreamhunk

oh one more thing I am really starting to hate and dislike the entire gaming market!!!!!

15. Len

What did you see in those 7mins that made you come back and post that again BDH..?

Just curious like…

16. Droid

Multiple personality disorder perhaps. Or maybe too much weed.

17. blackdreamhunk

@Droid

I can smell a racist garbage from a mile away!!!! Do you know what racist garbage will bring one day world war 3

don’t even get me started, I don’t give dam what you think

18. Droid

I wasn’t attempting to be racist at all. Relax. It was just a joke. Just like I’m not actually a droid, it hadn’t even occured to me you were black, from viewing people’s screen-names, and I honestly don’t care if you are or not.

EDIT: Adding those vid links to your post after the fact is just making you seem crazier imho.

19. blackdreamhunk

I guess your really too dumb to figure out what it is I am saying! Any smart person would have known what it is I am saying.

by the the world is going culture shock when they meet the face of god!

20. Droid

Must be. Well that’s enough abuse from you for me today, Have a good one.

21. Artheval_Pe

when they meet the face of god!
    ROFL

Anyway. Is Ubisoft willing to kill the sales of its own products ? No, that would be irrational. They don’t care about PC gaming or console gaming, they are just selling games where it makes the most money.

They are just too stupid (or they are making a dangerous gamble) to understand that they are alienating their PC market and that they won’t solve the problem of piracy this way. Even if they could prevent people from creating a cracked version of their game :
    - A lot of customers won’t buy it because of the protection and because they don’t have a proper internet connection
    - The pirates won’t buy it an will download other games instead.

22. blackdreamhunk

@Artheval_Pe

goes to show how lighten you really are! the world is full of people like Droid. In fact there is a really big one in Iran and all of the middle east. I would not be suprised Artheval_Pe that your not like Droid too.

guess a lot people are still a sleep, did not yeahusha not say that. lol

when world war 3 happens just remeber it was because of raceist People in the world. there is a whole history of it.

23. DarkElfa

Piracy is not the reason they want to drop the PC. Creators of all kinds of learned from Apple and Microsoft that consumers are more than willing to except Orwellian controls and Nickel and Dime antics with a happy-go-fuck smile. Today, most of us happily bend over. These new hardware control schemes like the the iPhone and Xbox3560 give the content makers an unprecedented amount of control over their stuff that they can’t be granted with PC use. They can happily charge you for little thing. They blame it all on piracy because they don’t want to say its not due to them losing money, its about them wanting more money. A PC is all about freedom of choice for the consumer. Closed formats are all about taking that freedom away and giving it to the seller instead.

24. Joe_Gamer

“This is not going to end well” haha that just about sums it up. No one will buy it, everyone will download it so UBI can continue using piracy as a scapegoat. DarkElfa is exactly right, it’s about control, not piracy.

Make a good game and people will buy it.
    Add bullshit DRM and they will download it.

It’s really not that hard to figure out.