BFBC2 producer says the game is “deeper” than other shooters

Tuesday, 5th January 2010 20:25 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

badcompany2

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 producer, Karl-Magnus Troedsson, has told FPSgamer that the franchise “has always been deeper” than its rivals, and remains that way to this day.

“I don’t want to judge people, other games [as being wrong], but for us – multiplayer, online play, we’ve been doing that since Battlefield 1942, and to us it’s open environments, it’s sandbox, it’s team-play,” he said.

“Because team-play – what we’ve done in Battlefield for a long time is team-play – you play as squads, you play teams, it’s very important. A lot of the other shooters are still actually in team deathmatch mode – they have tons of different game modes, but they all one way or another are just people playing to get the maximum score.

“This game is deeper, and Battlefield has always been deeper, and that’s due a lot to the gameplay. Like for instance you can heal each other, you can give each other ammo, you can revive each other – we’ve got the shock paddles in now.”

Battlefield: Bad Company 2’s out on March 2 and 5 in the US and Europe, respectively.

Thanks, Dirigiblebill.

1. dirigiblebill

Cheers Steph :)

2. Gekidami

Some people actually like just doing deathmatch without any objectives, its a shame BF games never offer choices to go with everyones tastes.

3. DarkElfa

These guys are sure pumping up the hype mobile. I hope for their sake it doesn’t flip over and crash on the starting line.

4. Gekidami

Dosnt really matter if it dosnt live up to the hype; DICE have almost a ‘Valve status’ in that they can make something thats actually pretty sup-par yet it’ll still be highly regarded. I mean look at all the people on this site betting their first born child that BC2 will be better then MW2, yet the first Bad Company was pretty average.
    Infact, since BF2 (the original) all of the BF games have been pretty crummy… But y’know… Yay DICE!…

5. DarkElfa

Good point.

6. DUFFKING

BFBC may have been flawed but at least it has good map design, balance, and is fun. They seem to have ditched the spammable artillery stuff for this, pumped gun damage up a little bit (not to CoD’s absurd levels, so shooting someone actually takes skill) and refined an already great shooter.

BF games may have always have flaws but they’ve always been deeper than the competition, which sacrifices quality gameplay for making FPS games less about player/team skill, and more about as much totally random shit that kills players despite them not having actually been outplayed by someone. And then lets punish them for dying by making them die again.’

I know people moan a lot about snipers and stuff in Battlefield but with practice you can instinctively pick foot routes through wide open areas and nobody spot you. There’s so much more to BF skill wise than just shooting people and that’s why it’s great. Bringing my kill/death ratio in BF2 up from 0.1 or something the week I started playing to 2.0 months later was the most rewarding gameplay experience ever. And I barely touched the vehicles.

The SP in the first *was* fucking rubbish though.

I’ll happily eat my words if this game turns out to be anything other than great online, though.

7. Dannybuoy

I really enjoyed BF:Bad Company, I really enjoyed COD4: MW. If I had to choose a winner it would be tough. BF felt like more of an open, living world, where as COD4 felt much more scripted and on rails. I wasn’t all that enamored with MW2 so I look forward to seeing what BF:BC2 can bring to the table.