Info splurge: Dead Space 2 set three years after original, multiplayer confirmed

Thursday, 10th December 2009 09:05 GMT By Patrick Garratt

deadspace2

RelyOnHorror’s posted up a ton of detail on Dead Space 2 from a subs issue from the latest Game Informer, apparently confirming that the sequel’s set three years after the first game on a large space station named Sprawl.

The second title’s to push the horror element more, with Isaac facing seemingly impossible situations and bosses. The developers talk about “better pacing” in this respect.

Isaac can now drift through space if he jumps too far away from a surface, and can alter direction while floating. Obviously, he can fire weapons like this as well.

The magazine says Sprawl is an “organic, haphazardly constructed, long-term place that’s built around the remaining shards of one of Saturn’s moon-The first planet-crack ever. Like any real city it is not all built by one person. Some stuff was built up, and some areas, corporate areas, government areas, and public areas.”

It makes the Ishimura look tiny, and includes residential features such as shopping malls, schools and churches.

And yep, this time Isaac’s going to speak. And there’s something called a Javelin gun (don’t tell IW). And there are dead, lipless babies trying to claw you to death.

And multiplayer? Apparently the following is teased: “All I can say is it’s really fun, and you’ll get to strategically dismember your friends.”

There’s loads more through there. Thanks, EvilAvatar.

1. pleasant_cabbage

Another multiplayer shoe-horned in to reduce trade in/second hand sales? In space no one can hear Blerk ‘meh’.

2. Gekidami

I’ve got this growing feeling that everything that made the first game good will be left aside in the sequel…

3. Aimless

I wouldn’t discount it just yet, the quote suggests some sort of counter-op mode, perhaps something akin to L4D‘s Versus.

One player as Isaac, everyone else as Necromorphs… it might not be Bad Company 2, but if it’s an enjoyable mode that keeps a few people from renting or trading in then I’m not going to object to it based on some sort of misguided principle.

4. pleasant_cabbage

Oh it could be good, as the bioshock one may be.

I think there is room for single player only titles though or at least an ability to purchase sp & mp independently. That might suit customers more, maybe not :) It’s a value perception thing. People that don’t like mp will see the sp part as (perhaps) diminished in some respect (diverting of resources) and feel like they are paying for something that’s unnecessary.

5. SilentLoner

Loving the collective synacism towards multiplayer modes. After U2 and the Spec Ops mode in MW2 (both with I thought would be shite) I still have faith.

6. Gekidami

Just to be clear: I was talking about SP. Sounds like its going to be turned into an all action shoot-up fest with Isaac ‘taking it to the Necromorphs’ and all. I bet they make him a really flat, meat-headed character now that he talks.

7. Aimless

I always thought he looked Dutch.

That’s just an idle observation, I’m not trying to tie it in to your meat-head comment.

8. NiceFellow

If they did something in the vein of L4D, but slower, it could be interesting – i.e. maybe one man trying to escape a level with others playing monsters, etc.

If they go standard deathmatch, etc. it’ll probably suck. But something neat and true to the SP feel could work pretty well. Also a small group of survivors vs waves of monsters, etc. would work fine to.

9. The Hindle

Cant wait for this the first Dead Space was the suprise last year didnt expect it to be that good

10. dirigiblebill

I’m glad to hear the bulk of the action will take place in one location (albeit a bigger one) rather than being smeared across several, Halo-style. For me, the best part of Dead Space was simply the Ishimura itself, the tremendous effort they put into making all its components lock together and add up.

11. Blerk

Well that sounds pretty good so far. I agree with bill, the Ishimura itself was a big part of the original game so sticking with an enclosed ‘interior’ space for the sequel makes a lot of sense.

12. Dr.Ghettoblaster

It’s a new IP that rocked our socks off. I’m sure they won’t release a crap follow up.

13. Blerk

Scans of the Game Informer article, anyone? Complete with screenies!