Visceral boss “not ready” for Dead Space 2 reveal

Tuesday, 16th June 2009 08:03 GMT By Patrick Garratt

deadspace20

Visceral Games head Glen Schofield has told VG247 that EA is “not ready” to show any of the studio’s titles past Dante’s Inferno and Dead Space: Extraction, and has refused to be drawn on timing for a Dead Space 2 reveal.

“Our two big games are Extraction and Dante’s Inferno: we’re not ready to announce anything [else] yet, no,” Schofield said, talking in a phone interview.

“These two games are the games we’re really focussing on. One of the reasons we changed the [studio's] name [to Visceral] is to go, ‘We’re focussing on quality.’ So right now the focus is on getting these two games to the highest quality. The studio is really working on that.

“I think talking about anything other than that just takes the focus away from the games we’re working on.”

When asked specifically when we can expect to see Dead Space 2 announced, EA PR jumped in with a “no comment”.

Visceral said it was working on two unannounced games in May when it rebranded away from EA Redwood Shores.

Just after the rebranding announcement, Dead Space 2 was inadvertently announced via a developer LinkedIn profile, although the title has now been edited out of the CV.

1. Blerk

I really must pick up the first one.

2. Patrick Garratt

I’m going to buy it today. As well as Mass Effect.

3. supererogatory

Visceral doesn’t mean quality.

Man needs to find a dictionary.

4. Patrick Garratt

I like Mr Schofield. He’s all man.

5. lk

wow Patrick, that’s quite the haul. 2 of the best games this generation for sure.

6. Patrick Garratt

Playing catch-up :(

7. lk

I envy you, being able to play Mass Effect 1 for the first time in this rather dull period. ack.

8. JesteR

Its pretty obvious that after Dead Space Extraction there will be a Dead Space 2.

9. Len

Go buy it Blerk, one of the most terrifying games I’ve ever played. It’s like a cross between Aliens and The Shining.

Switch the lights off, turn the surround sound up (or hphones if no ss) and freak yrslf out.

Audio is incredible in it…last year’s goty for me. :)

10. Blerk

It’s a dead cert buy, for sure! Just… haven’t yet. For some reason. I’m trying to keep my pile of shame smaller this generation, so I’ve been trying not to buy until there’s a space in the queue. :-)

11. DaMan

I hope it will come out at least early next year.

12. lk

DaMan, no, just no. not happening. couldn’t possibly happen, we haven’t even seen a LOGO.

13. DaMan

yeah, but we haven’t seen a logo of say, L4D 2 until recently.

a 2010 spring release seems possible to me.

14. fdelfino

Dead Space is an awesome game. The graphics and camera angles are awsome, and the Xbox 360 controler fits perfectly with the game. I use one with an USB port on the PC and the gameplay is really comfortable.

15. Anders

Got my hands on it today. Pretty awesome. Bully and Mirrors Edge are next in line.

16. McLovin85

great game. one of the few games that i am trying to get a platinum trophy for.