Yoshida “disappointed” at Last Guardian movie leak

Thursday, 4th June 2009 16:29 GMT By Patrick Garratt

trico3

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida has told OPM UK (via Edge) that foul play may have been involved in the leaking of Last Guardian footage last month.

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed,” he said, speaking at E3.

“Maybe there’s a reason the person who leaked it waited until just before E3. But the reason we didn’t show early footage was because the team wanted to feel comfortable that the vision they created could be delivered.

“Everything we showed here was from the game engine, and they’ve got to the point where they know they can make this game and can see how it’ll be completed.”

Sony released first direct-feed images of the game this morning. Hit the link for a full interview.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Woz it MS wot done it??

2. Gekidami

“Foul play may have been involved”? As in corporate espionage?

3. Blerk

It was a shame it leaked, I agree. The reveal at E3 would have been even more jaw-droppingly brilliant if we hadn’t all seen it a fortnight before.

4. Suikoden Fan

find who did it and fire them/sue there ass for everything they own or both.

5. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, same as the PSP Go, but that was their own fault.

6. tenthousandgothsonacid

On the plus side the step change on from the leaked video is fucking amazing !

7. theevilaires

all the leaks ruined E3 this year, and who did it benefit? NO ONE!!!!! people need to stop leaking shit just to one up the next site. i will agree on one leak i think was ok, and that would be psp go. imagine if no one knew about it before E3 and sony came out and said hey we got another psp thats smaller and cost more. people would have walked out.

8. theevilaires

forget that Suikoden Fan, just throw them in a pit with rabid sony fanboys. i bet you they will never tell a secret ever again.

9. Johnny Cullen

I agree that the leak was harmful, and the conference would have been mind-blown that to an extent, the world would have blown up in a gigaton.

But that said, do I give a fuck?: no. Why? Because it looks much better then the leaked trailer.

Coming sooner then later too according to Yoshida.

10. Psychotext

I’m gutted about the leak mostly because I preferred how the old version of the monster looked. I’m sure I’ll get over it at some point though.

11. DrDamn

Actually I’m pretty impressed he’s stated it was all in engine. From the fairly poor quality IGN feed I assumed some was pre-rendered but obvious in game bits at the end were not.

12. DrDamn

Just seen a reasonable 720p version and that seems more obvious it’s in engine. Very nice though.

13. No_PUDding

Psychotext, I know what you mean. it looks even more like [forgot name of the Neverending story charcter] now.

In the same interview he says Team Olympico again, as always SCEJ’s titles are held close to the chest until near release.

Japan Winter 2009?

14. Panipal2005

It’s not impossible that they showed it only because it DID leak, that otherwise they’d be happy to go another conference without showing it AGAIN.

I wouldn’t like to think that’s what Shuhei’s getting all butthurt about, he should try putting himself in our shoes though, us being the ones led to believe the chance of a reveal being remote.

15. No_PUDding

Shuehei has always been a much better source for information than Ueda.

The people paying for the project, and seeing it progress are never the perfectionists. Well occasionally they are, but in this case, I reckon Ueda is the one holding us back from seeing it.

16. Hero of Canton

Have to say, that quote doesn’t fill me with confidence that it’ll be here sooner rather than later. Indeed, the Famitsu interview with Ueda suggested some of the key aspects of gameplay hadn’t even been finalised yet.