Waters: “Impossible” for Last Guardian to live up to “BBC game” hype

Wednesday, 3rd June 2009 10:04 GMT By Patrick Garratt

trico

BBC tech journalist Darren Waters admitted to VG247 this morning that his secret “BBC game” is The Last Guardian, previously known as Project TRICO, saying it was now “impossible” for the title to satisfy expectations.

“I’ve carried this secret for so long that it is an incredible relief to finally be able to talk about it openly,” he said.

“Obviously, the length of time that has passed between my first glimpse of the game and its unveiling at E3 means that it is impossible for the Last Guardian to live up to the hype built around this so-called ‘secret BBC game’.

“As a passionate gamer I’m really excited to see what the final playable game will be like. Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are such great titles, and the studio behind them so talented, that while there is a lot to live up to there is plenty of reason for optimism.”

The Ueda game, aired publicly for the first time in the Sony E3 press conference last night, is the PS3 title Waters described in February 2008 as having the potential to deliver a “step change in what games consoles are capable of in terms of story-telling and immersion.”

The BBC man went on to denounce the fanboyism generated by his original remarks.

“I hate the way this game has been used as yet another stick for fan boys to hit each around the head,” he added.

“The reality is that all three of the big platforms are producing the kinds of games I could never have imagined years ago when I first fired up my Dragon 32 computer and played Chuckie Egg.”

And there you have it. Watch the game’s beautiful announce trailer here, and get all the news from yesterday’s PS3 conference here.

Happy now?

1. Blerk

Dragon32lol!

/Spectrum fanboy

2. tenthousandgothsonacid

I dunno Darren that new super mario game looks a lot like chuckie egg.

p.s. Told you lot didn’t I ! But did anyone believe me ? No.

So the next time I say the ps3 slim packshots are real or that Darren waters was on about trico cos my mate down the pub who happens to work for a large japanese entertianment company told me maybe you’ll have more faith :)

3. Captain Fruitloop

“I’ve carried this secret for so long that it is an incredible relief to finally be able to talk about it openly.”

Calm down, dear. It’s only a computer game. Drama queen, much?

4. tenthousandgothsonacid

@jonarob Get in line :)

5. elronathon

I had a Dragon 32 – we had a game on cartridge for it and everything. shut your mouth.

Spectrum fanboys make me so mad!!!

6. tenthousandgothsonacid

@jonarob I dunno, I reckon Pat’s pretty knackered after E3 ;)

7. tenthousandgothsonacid

@elronathon Har-ha !

/spectrum fanboi

8. Patrick Garratt

I can always make time for cock.

*gapes*

9. No_PUDding

Pat, tell me what it ISN’T. Or just tell… Oh, yeah that’s what I thought.

xD

And what homozexuality have a come into (come out?) here?

10. tenthousandgothsonacid

Sorry, Pat, I’m too emotionally drained after downloading the hd version of the last guardian teaser off of gametrailers and watching it repeatedly whilst sobbing with joy :)

11. Psychotext

We’ve been saying it’s Trico for ages and all the time we’ve been told it isn’t. Barstewards.

12. Patrick Garratt

There was a lot of nervousness surrounding the whole thing. Darren wasn’t the only one shown the trailer. Obviously, it was a very long way out and there was huge fear it was going to leak.

Anyway. Now you know.

13. bytemap

I guess I’m the only one that doesn’t get it yet. LOL

14. Cort

Perhaps this journalist should be a bit more intelligent and discrete about what confidential information he chooses to leak into the one of the most fanboyish areas of recreational activity known to man.

Everyone kept their mouth shut apart from the man writing for the world’s most read news site. And he complains about the inevitable consequence of his indiscretion?

15. Shatner

The media is often responsible for setting the expectations of consumers for a product. They need to sensationalise and tempt (and project their priviliged intelligensia status) to keep people reading their stuff.

When expectations are raised in this way and the final product doesn’t meet them – who do you think gets the blame? Here’s a clue: it’s never the media.

Hell, I read a headline that asserts a piece of tech is going to be released in spring 2010. That’s not what was actually said by the maker of the tech but, if spring 2010 comes and goes, the tech-makers are more likely to get the blame for ‘lying’ than anyone else.

Working with an almost complete lack of accountability for your output must be a charmed life..