Mass Effect 2 to appear at GDC 09

Thursday, 8th January 2009 15:07 GMT By Mike

masseffect1b.jpg

According to CMPevents, the sequel to BioWare rather smashing RPG, Mass Effect, will feature at GDC 09.

Corey Andruko (Project Manager, BioWare) and Dusty Everman (Lead Technical Designer, BioWare) will be conducting “a session [that] examines the BioWare Mass Effect team’s new level-creation process, which is focused on maximizing iteration for quality while minimizing rework and cost,” says the piece.

We’re checking with EA and BioWare now to find out more.

By Mike Bowden

1. Blerk

I’ll have a bit o’ that! And a second slice of hot blue alien action to boot.

2. Retroid

\o/ \o/ \o/

3. Sikamikanico

OMGOMGOMGOMG *faints*

4. Blerk

Things it needs:

1. More planet surface/structure variety.
    2. More side-mission variety.
    3. More hot blue alien action.
    4. Better item management.
    5. An engine which doesn’t grind to a halt whenever you move the camera.
    6. More awesomeness.

5. Retroid

/Preorders Collectors Edition in his head

6. Hunam

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Hopefully we’ll get some unique weapons this time and a couple more hubs with some proper exploration of a couple of planets.

7. Psychotext

Sweeeet

8. No_PUDding

I wonder if this will be exclusive or not?

9. Blerk

I’ll be amazed if there isn’t a PS3 version this time. Unless Microsoft really do still hold some of the IP strings, but I’d been lead to believe it was just a publishing deal.

10. No_PUDding

Yeah, but some people seem to have this insane faith in Microsoft that they naturally don’t have with Sony.

And I am one of those people.

xD

I would find it weird, if EA were to break the habit of a life-time.

11. BillyBatts

I’d say exploring that cookie cutter underground base for the umteenth time was just about the only thing really wrong with the original. A few more ker-azy weapons would be good too. The original’s were a bit stale after a while.

12. Blerk

EA have released platform-exclusive stuff in the past. Not often, but it has been done. I imagine they’d certainly prefer it to be multi-format.

13. No_PUDding

Yeah, but firstly not in this generation, and certainly not when platforms are similar enough to make it possible, like the PS3 and 360.

Sure Wii games, becuase input device is radically different.

14. Retroid

Variety in side missions, please!

Otherwise I *heart* ME, from the scifi universe it creates, to the music, to the graphic design.

15. Hunam

I’m pretty sure MS have some deal in place regarding the ME series, probs exclusivity on consoles.

16. Esha

Let’s hope that this time they’ll have male/male alien action.

What?

17. No_PUDding

Hunam, “some deal in place regarding the ME series, probs exclusivity on consoles”, doesn’t sound like you’re sure.

Especially since it’s so up in the air anyway.

18. fearmonkey

I thought that I had read somewhere one of the developers saying it would stay on 360 and pc only.
    I’m not sure why they would release the 2nd game of
    a trilogy for ps3 without releasing the first one for it.
    The new game is supposed to continue the story from the first game, not be a completely new story.
    Im hoping that the stuff they wanted for the trilogy
    comes true, that you could use your save game from the
    first game as an example

19. Hunam

Well, I’m not sure of the exact deal in place, but some of the Bioware staffers were commenting on ME sequels when EA was buying them because of Microsoft being the publisher, I assume, of the series.

But the PC is usually seen differently and well, EA and MS get along fairly well.

20. crippledhooba

Im sure, at the very least, the PC version will appear alongside the 360 version at release.